How does the Etrac work in dense trash?

Dan B

I've found a new site to hunt, but it's very dense with iron and aluminum scrap. When I swing my ATPro with iron audio on it's a constant barrage of sound. I can't even find 1 square foot to ground balance. Lots of steel bottle caps that sound like diggable targets. Very frustrating to say the least. Is this an environment where the Etrac would do well? Or would it struggle?

Thanks,

Dan

Go for it, I run mine in trashy city parks all the time. You WILL dig trash...we all do. The longer you use it the better you will be at determining what's under your coil. Good luck and happy hunting!

The reason I asked specifically about the Etrac is because I watched a video about the Etrac settings, and I noticed there is a setting for high trash. Does it actually make a difference? How so?

Not to shoot your hopes down too far, But hunting in trash that thick sucks with ANY machine. There is no magic machine. Some machines will separate better in dense trash but it is still no fun. Generally there are machines known for how fast they separate. The Etrac will work and find goodies but the it is not super high on that separating list, that would be a lot of money to spend for that purpose only. Hell I have a super clean one for sale in the classifieds and I am telling you that.

On the other hand the Etrac is one of my personal favorites overall. It and the CTX for me are BY FAR the most fun to run and will pull you many deep coins and help you dig less trash.. Speaking of less trash one other bonus with the Etrac and CTX is that you can dependably descrim out Corona/beer caps. They are only the machines to do it dependably no matter how many people tell you how they can bite their tounge, hold their breath and do the hokey pokey just right to tell what they are with other machines :)

Good luck with your hunting and get the small coil for the AT if you don't already have it. It will work better in trash. PS.. I do believe the ETRAC is a big upgrade over the ATpro as well.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information. I have smaller coils, down to the sniper.

It was the setting for high trash that made me wonder how effective it actually is.

In high trash density mode, Etrac searches the return signals and locks onto the most stable of those signals that you have not discriminated out. You will still dig trash but not as much. Also don't expect great target I.D. or to go deep in heavy trash. That said, I have been surprised several times when I got a good signal and pulled silver coins out of heavy trash areas that I thought were a waste of time. Just go slow.

Not to shoot your hopes down too far, But hunting in trash that thick sucks with ANY machine. There is no magic machine. Some machines will separate better in dense trash but it is still no fun. Generally there are machines known for how fast they separate. The Etrac will work and find goodies but the it is not super high on that separating list, that would be a lot of money to spend for that purpose only. Hell I have a super clean one for sale in the classifieds and I am telling you that.

On the other hand the Etrac is one of my personal favorites overall. It and the CTX for me are BY FAR the most fun to run and will pull you many deep coins and help you dig less trash.. Speaking of less trash one other bonus with the Etrac and CTX is that you can dependably descrim out Corona/beer caps. They are only the machines to do it dependably no matter how many people tell you how they can bite their tounge, hold their breath and do the hokey pokey just right to tell what they are with other machines :

Good luck with your hunting and get the small coil for the AT if you don't already have it. It will work better in trash. PS.. I do believe the ETRAC is a big upgrade over the ATpro as well.

"one other bonus with the Etrac and CTX is that you can dependably descrim out Corona/beer caps"

Can you give a quick tutorial on how to do this with the Etrac? Does it do anything for crushed screw caps? Hope so.

The steel beer caps generally read in the 01/20 range or there abouts. What I do is add the 01 ferrous line out to about 25 on the co for descrim..boom very few corona caps dug :)

Don't go any further than that though, you run the risk of getting into The half dollar area as I have seen those depending on your dirt and depth come in as early as 01/30..

I have a few old parks with copious amounts of corona caps. Some of the caps are fairly deep where you start finding later silver dimes and quarters. When using the minelabs I have had a bad day when I have dug one or 2 beer caps:)

Back
Top Bottom