Getting back in the game

MDMike

I gave up metal detecting a few years ago, selling my Pi Dual Field. Well, I'm thinking of getting back to it again.

I won't be doing any shoulder deep surf searching again and sticking to knee deep and towel line.

Would the MX Sport be good for this in black sand? I've read no and yes but with the gain turned down.

Thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

Mike

I gave up metal detecting a few years ago, selling my Pi Dual Field. Well, I'm thinking of getting back to it again.

I won't be doing any shoulder deep surf searching again and sticking to knee deep and towel line.

Would the MX Sport be good for this in black sand? I've read no and yes but with the gain turned down.

Mike

I would think no, I own one and its amazing on land and fresh water and although it will work in salt, you will lose lots of depth and it will be a bit chatty. Im thinking the black sand be it salt or not would have similar affects.

I would look for a muti freq machine

Black sand will drive most single vlf machines. You will need the turn down the gain/sensitivity to get it to run quiet.

A multi freq machine will be able to see thru it better.

Mike

Don't believe the marketing hype about the MX being a capable machine in the salt water. If you like hearing chatter (bleeps and blips) with random signals and feel it is ok to have decreased depth and sensitivity, then "YES", technically it works in salt water. :no:

For me, "works" is defined as a detector that will go from dry to wet to submerged AND do that without losing depth, sensitivity or hearing that chatter. Only detectors that I know will do that are Multi-frequency VLF and PIs. Here is a list of those detectors... http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=248905

Thanks David.
I've seen that spreadsheet before. The Minelabs would be great but are perpetually out of budget. And PI's, well, I don't want to go back to digging every single bobby pin again but you know you never miss anything with them either.
I don't like marketing wank, that's why I'm asking for real world reviews and experience.

Minelab will have Equinox 600 for $649 and Equinox 800 for $899. Release date is not certain, Field testing and possible changes to these prototypes is still happening, but I think they will be out early 2018. They have been posting some progress reports as to what is certain so far and what isn't. They can be operated on multiple frequencies at once or choose a frequency. Minelab promises lightweight and has dropped the prices on their X-Terra line. Equinox models can be submerged, I think, to 10 feet.

Back
Top Bottom