Upgrade Advice

Laxsaltman

Elite Member
Well, it's been almost 2 years since I been MD'ing with my entry-level 250. Now while I've been real successful and have a lot of fun with it, I think it's time for an upgrade.
If someone woulda said "There's $400 buried in the ground along with a smattering of gold and silver waiting for you" back when I started,Ida said "you're nuts!". :lol:

I'm thinking somewhere in the $600 range,it would be for mostly terra firma with a little salt/fresh water here and there.

The AT Pro looks good but maybe someone out there can throw out another possibility.

Jeff.

Well, as far as actually getting in the waterproof option for $600, there really isn't another VLF machine out there right now like the at pro. If you don't plan on actually submerging the md in water then you have many more options for $600 including (although I am not sure how they perform in salt water/sand) Whites Mx5, Minelab Xterra 505, Tesoro Outlaw, Fisher F5, as well as Bounty Hunters New Pro Models. Oh, and don't forget Teknetics, a First Texas company.Hmmm, might be missing some. Anyway, At PRo is the only one mentioned that is water proof of course. HH and GL

Yeah Saltman, Bart at Bigboyshobbie is right. For the price it's a great over all machine. I have several different machines and I have the AT Pro. Of course it also depends on what your hunting. Your in S. Calif. You do have a few wet creeks there. (I use to live there) The AT Pro is good in (up to) ten feet of water. But shop around and ask questions. Barts great to deal with by the way.
AT Pro Videos, in case you have time to watch.
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=At+Pro+Videos&qpvt=At+Pro+Videos&FORM=VDRE

Sounds like the AT Pro is your only option...

In my case, my second machine was a used SURF PI for $175 but I hunt the water about 95% of the time. Then a month later I got a Minelab Sovereign Elite used for $175 (from the same guy). Now I have an E-Trac as well. Yeah, I AM a detector collector... :laughing:

Depending on how much water you want to do, if not much then get an AT Pro (it is waterproof but doesn't work real well in Salt Water) or one of the Minelab Xterra's or a used Safari or Explorer or Sovereign. You won't be able to submerge the machine but the coils are waterproof and they work quite well in wet sand.

If you want to do a bunch of water then look at a Sand Shark or a used CZ2x. I learned early on that a GOOD machine for all around (wet and dry) use doesn't exist in the less than a thousand dollar price range. There is no cheap all around machine.

Good Luck! Keep us posted on your decision.

I'm selling an at pro. Used once because I upgraded to an etrac.

Machine comes with stock and the 8.5 X 11 dd coil, asking 525$ plus shipping

pm me if your interested

Standard mode on the ATP is very similar to the ACE 250 and should help with the learning curve, did for me. The ATP will pin point MUCH better than the 250. If you can't afford that much, a DD coil for the 250 is an option. But, if you can, you will love the features on the ATP. It took me much longer than the 100 hours to learn, in Pro mode. The sounds it puts out were confusing for awhile.

Yeah Saltman, Bart at Bigboyshobbie is right. For the price it's a great over all machine. I have several different machines and I have the AT Pro. Of course it also depends on what your hunting. Your in S. Calif. You do have a few wet creeks there. (I use to live there) The AT Pro is good in (up to) ten feet of water. But shop around and ask questions. Barts great to deal with by the way.
AT Pro Videos, in case you have time to watch.
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=At+Pro+Videos&qpvt=At+Pro+Videos&FORM=VDRE

Thank you Sir! Anyone have questions always give me a ring. Advice is free! ;)

If water-proof is not necessary I'd look at a used Minelab Explorer SE. Ditch the water-proof for a multi-frequency detector that goes deep. JMHO. GL and HH. Matt

Back
Top Bottom