Metal Detector for a Beginner under $175

bostonfever

I am going up to Maine in 3 weeks for vacation and plan to use it at low tide/dry sand/in-land. I have read A LOT about metal detecting in the last 3 days but im there is much to still know. I have heard that I am going to have trouble with low tide because of the mineralization of the sand from the salt water, but I figured i'll lower the sensitivty and give it a shot.

I have been loooking at everyones comparisons of metal detectors and have really zoned in on the Bounty Hunter Time Ranger. 95% of the MD community seems to bash bounty hunter because they are a cheap walmart brand? It is only $167 and was a $600 in its hay day(10 years ago). It seems to have the most options at the price point, a long with 2 extra coils. I have two hours to order it to get it here to start playing with for the July 4th weekend.

Can anyone convince me that BH TR is not the correct choice for me, and that I will have better luck with something in that price point? The thing that REALLY turns me off to the TR is the fact that the last revision of it was 9 years ago. How has metal detector technology changed in the last 9 years that would hinder me versus something that was made in 2010-2012?

Thank you for your help!

Also - I have never metal detected before. Maybe when I was a little younger and don't remember.

Welcome to the foum.. The BH TR isn't soo bad for that price I guess, but no matter what detector you get in that price range its going to go nuts in the wet sand, but should do fine in dry. If you're planning on staying with the hobby it might be worth it to spend a little more $$ and grab a Fisher F2 or Teknetics Eurotek Pro for around 200.. Nice name btw lol. You from Boston?

I would have to second what jay said. I think the fisher f2 or the eurotek pro would serve you better. lots of people swear by the EP

The thing i feel like is, 175 is already 25 over what I wanted to spend, so going another 25 is getting steep. I think i'll have a lot of fun with this hobby but I dont want to invest to much if I change my mind. My ideal price was around 150 which is Ace 150 range, but I dont get half the features the BH TR offers.

EDIT -- I am not from Boston. From NH; huge New England/Boston sports fan.

Sorry -

And the reason I want to get one that is more than just a throw away even if im just trying it out for the first time because the place i'm going to is real remote and i've already plotted out points where there were signifigantly unknown historical events which I'm sure may have been scanned over already but if i get one that can read some read amount of depth I might get lucky with something real old.

If your budget just won't stretch at all buy the BH but if possible spend just a little more and look at Fisher, Garrett, Teknetics, White's,Tesoro. Remember the old saying "you get what you pay for"

Go to hobby lobby with 40% off coupon and buy the bounty hunter tracker iv for $70. Get a $17 pinpointer from harbor freight. Buy or make a sand sifter if going on the beach.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

Go to hobby lobby with 40% off coupon and buy the bounty hunter tracker iv for $70. Get a $17 pinpointer from harbor freight. Buy or make a sand sifter if going on the beach.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

I agree as well.

I'm fairly new at this and started with a BH Tracker and a HF pin pointer. I had a blast with them, found coins, and they payed for themselves with the enjoyment they gave me.

If you like it... you will spend more money.... believe me. The BH is still used by my son and I have moved on to a silver Umax and just purchased a bigger coil..... and will probably move up the Tesoro line in the Fall. Where does it end? :D

tesoro beat all with LIFE time warranty

For the beginner the tesoros are the best, warranties are for life no one else offers that:yes:The compadre for $160 offers the best results does great with the new 8" do nut hole coil,has great depth,also offers the best disc. and it loves GOLD. :wow:

Last edited:
For all the bad rap, the BH product isn't bad.

You're not looking for something to last a lifetime or to find El Diablo. It doesn't need technology to rival that of the NSA.
You are talking casual, multi-use detecting... Which pretty much defines the T-Ranger.
More importantly you want to keep to a budget... Not be talked out of it.
Your price is right in line with the current used prices on eBay.

I've owned detectors of every kind, from top of the line down. I currently have some nice detectors, an F70 and a Tiger Shark... But I also have a BH for casual use.
If that's what you've decided, go for it. Trust your gut; it sounds to me like you have done your due diligence, so be confident.
Read the manual three times and follow the presets in the beginning. Then remember this:

It isn't just the detector ~ it is where you use it.
The instrument won't find what isn't already there.

Back
Top Bottom