Why are the used prices so high this year?

Tilton

Elite Member
2 years ago I bought my 705 for $450 and sold it for $450. Around $500 was the going rate for a used 705 and AT-Pros. Now all I ever see them for is $600+.

What gives?

I've seen ATpros go for $400-$450 recently, as 705s for $500 (unless heavily used).

I hope to see them increase, but I doubt it, the older they get.

I've seen ATpros go for $400-$450 recently, as 705s for $500 (unless heavily used).

I hope to see them increase, but I doubt it, the older they get.

I haven't seen any in that price range this year. Every one I see is "slightly used" for $600. Even seen some AT Pros for $650. Crazy. Seems like the higher end models are coming down in price though. E tracs, Excals ect.

That is crazy pricing. Maybe they are multi coil packages or they have other accys like pointers.
If I wanted a gently used ATpro I would not pay $500- and that is because I almost pulled the trigger on one at $400. They can be had often under $500.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I don't know about packages but prices are definately higher.Last year in my area at pros could be had for between 380 and 425.Today at the farmers market a guy had one and was asking 675 no extras with it.

Yikes! That's much higher than the street price for a new one!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

So true.But if someone does not know they will pay that price when the guy is telling them they will find gold.

Prices on many new detectors have gone up in the last couple years as well. It was just a couple years ago that the MSRP on Excal II's was $999, now they're $1499. If the new ones cost more it just makes sense that used prices will follow. Also the TV shows are undoubtedly driving the market higher as well. Higher demand leads to higher prices!

Just bought a new At pro from Amazon prime for $594 shipped. Shipping to Hawaii is expensive, that's why I went with Amazon prime since it's free shipping. Anyways, at the end of the day, you only pay a little more for a brand new machine with a two year warranty and peace of mind than you would buying a used one at the high prices a lot of people are asking for.

Prices on many new detectors have gone up in the last couple years as well. It was just a couple years ago that the MSRP on Excal II's was $999, now they're $1499. If the new ones cost more it just makes sense that used prices will follow. Also the TV shows are undoubtedly driving the market higher as well. Higher demand leads to higher prices!

Yeah, I am sure Diggers really upped the market for At-pros. I think they use Golds though? When I was in the market for an Excal II, the cheapest new I saw was for $1400 I think. I paid $1100 for mine used, which was the going rate. A few months ago my buddy bought a used one for $1000 and now I am seeing some for around $900. Etracs around $800.

I think the bad economy causes more popular units to go higher used, but makes less popular units prices go lower. Thinking is probably paying 90% of new for something I really want instead of 80% of new for something that's almost what is wanted is better.
HH, George (MN)

I see higher end machines like the CTX, Deus, etc. with higher used prices than new:)

I am on the fence for a CTX but hate to take that wad out of my wallet:)

Any item is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

I'd like to sell my Deus and try a CTX, but the number of Deus' for sale currently doesn't make me feel too confident in getting a very good deal.

Think there is also a difference between asking price, and the price the seller is will to deal with. Anything used, is a risk for the buyer, but plenty of buyers willing to take that risk, just to save a few dollars. I consider used electronics high risk, price of repair can be pretty rough, an active and valid warranty is worth more than you might think, until you have to pay a repair bill. Not sure about metal detectors, but most things cost $50 or more, just to get someone to take a look at it, and give a rough estimate. Tech labor isn't cheap, and they don't often simply swap a bad component, but entire boards. I've gotten quite a few nice things over the years, where the price for the repairs wasn't worth it. Sometimes I've gotten luck, and was able to restore function (not always pretty though), mostly got good parts for other projects or repairs.

I was looking for a GT for a while, and finally found a brand new one with a 3 year warranty for only $100 more than the asking prices for a used one. Paying between 60-75% of the cost of a new detector for a used unit is reasonable...any more and it's better to buy new.

I don't know I think several detectors really went down this year. Thq Fisher F75 is $1000 machine new, I seen one just recently for $450 shipped, just crazy. Some detectors hold value better than others. FBS machines seems to hold good and also the Deus, some people ask more than you can get them for from some dealers, I am sure all the dealers here could give great deals but I got a quote from SkiWhiz and I couldn't believe he was able to make such a good deal on it, so like in that particular situation its better to just buy new. I know some times people ask like $1200+ for their etrac and people always rant and rave, but what they don't understand is that 1200 package has 4 coils and a sunray probe with it, so you always gotta be sure to take into account what all they are offering with the detectors.

HH All,
Rich

On Craigslist in my area a guy is asking $380 for a Bounty Hunter 505. Two years ago I paid $75 for a BH Landstar that has more features than the 505.
I don't get it?

Back
Top Bottom