• Forum server maintanace tonight.
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

FNG : Totally new to this and need help and expertise !!!

jasonk

Heres the scoop. Want a detector that is the best. Do not want to buy one and "upgrade" after a few years. Want it to last. Cost not a factor.
Primarily will be used to hunt dry land, dry and wet sand, and underwater beach surf. Of course a life time warranty would be nice. don't care how it looks. Please consider weight, depth it will find things. Interested mainly in jewelry (beaches) with a secondary focus on relic hunting.

Thank you for all your input, i really need some help here.

Jason

Hi jasonk, welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately they haven't made a detector that detects everywhere.
Most of us own 2 or 3 detectors for that very reason.

The first company that comes out with one will be the winner!

ok, then first choice for water, first choice for land. Are the detectors that are used underwater useless on land?

Jason the Minelab Excalibur or FisherCZ20 will work underwater and on land.

Re: FNG : New guys needs metal detector purchase advice

Minelab Excaliber, or if buget is NOT a factor, get a Minelab Explorer II AND an Excaliber.

Hi Jason. Look for the Excalibur or Whites BeachHunter for the water part . Both can be also used on land. For land Look at the Minelab Explorer II or Whites DFX. They are top of the line and perfrom great.
if you need any help in your decision or purchase , please let me know I'll be glad to help you out.
http://www.tcmetaldetectors.com

Welcome to the forum Jason. Any of the above machines will serve you quite well. If you can, find a store that handles these machines and check the feel and balance of each. This will tell you which one you want swing for long periods of time without getting tired.JMHO :yes:

Top-of-the-line isn't necessarily for everyone, tho', Tony. Selling the big money-maker isn't always the best thing you can do for a customer, 'cause in the long run, it can hurt them more than help them, and of course, if that's the case, then they won't be back.
(not meaning to diss you here, Tony. You are a very well respected, and knowledgable business man in the field of metal detectoers, I'm sure... and I willl even vouche for that... not to mention that we're all very fortunate to have you with us... dispite them subliminal "double-plugs". :lol:)

Lemme 'splain what I'm thinkin'...
Consider this: (not to say this is directed to you, Jason, 'cause it isn't. It's just a thought)

Ask yourself a few questions before commiting yourself to any one particular brand name or machine regardless of the bells & whistles it offers you. Listen to other detectorists' tell you of thier finds, and not the person that stands to make a buck on a sale.  :roll:

Are you the type of person that doesn't have the time to do the (usually) extensive "homework" it takes to learn a sophisticated piece of machinery?
Do you lose patience when you're trying to set a VCR to time-record or a surround-sound system to correlate with a DVD palyer?
Do you get all flustered when you can't quite get the knack of setting the timer of a microwave?
Do you get easily discouraged when you find out that there's no way of learning how to run something 'cause you have trouble "self-teaching/learning" something?

If you said yes to any one of the above questions, then maybe a top-shelf machine isn't the best thing you can buy for yourself.
A machine that you can alter the settings to requires that you know what you're doing, and/or have a drive to eventually "get it" (unless you just use built-in, default programs all the time, and the knowledge advancement to run a powerful machine isn't all that inportant to you).
If you don't want to have to learn the technical aspects of a computer-chipped machine and would rather click-on-and-go, then that's what you should do... get a machine that's fitted to you... otherwise, you just might be setting yourself up for one big disappointment, and, consequentlly, lose interest in this hobby altogether... and you don't want that to happen, 'cause you'll end up with an empty wallet and a full attic.
Also... if the only thing that someone is digging up is clad and garbage all the time... maybe just 5 to 6 inches deep... just because it's a lot of stuff to show for your kneeling/squatting time, that doesn't mean that it's a great machine.
Let the finds that people make speak directly for the machines that they are using.
I'll say it again... Listen to other detectorists, not the person that stands to make money off from you. He/she's in it for the money, ya know?
(again, Tony... not meaning to diss. I see no harm in this statement... aimed at the average, unknowing consumer).
If this helps even one person make a "better" purchasing decision, then I'll sleep good tonight.  ;)
Take care, everyone!

Krom (still jus' scratchin' the surface in 3 years of owning a DFX)

Attachments

• HakunaMatata.gif
    HakunaMatata.gif
    2.3 KB · Views: 207

Well said  Joe....."You  da  man"...........Jason,  If  $$$  is  not  a  prob,  then  start  with a good  above  average  machine  that  will do what  you specified.  Then,  upgrade  to  the  best.  Now  that is what  i would  do  if  $$$ grew on trees........... :roll:.......Gil

I understand what you're saying. That's why I said let me know if you need any help. Also , I was agreeing with the guys and Bill took to his EXII like a duck to water . The man wanted "a serious" detector. It doesn't get any more serious than an EXII and the man stated that he didn't care about price. If that is the case then I personally see no problem getting an EXII or other detector that's top of the line. I also agree with you that you should get many opinions which I beleive he is getting. Thanks for your input and no one should ever worry about giving me their opinion :yes:.

i agree top of the line for one person may be not so top of the line for another if they cant figure it out. i myself was going to go with the "top of the line"mine lab ex2 but have thought about the years of possible learning time it would take to master such a god sent machine. now on the other hand if you were not strapped for cash as much of us are today then possible buy a mid level and the explorer2 and take you time learning the ex2 while you are still able to use your mid level which will preform probly pretty close for the average joe to the ex2 . compare the 2 and tweek the ex2 as time gos on then once you have mastered it if you ever do . then you have a MD for a new hunting buddy who would like to get into the hobby also. just a thought but just because you buy the best of the best dosent mean youll be pulling up the gold and silver on the first day maybe not even in the first year. a detector is only as good as the detectorist behind the shaft. Peace out

Thanks, Tony. I was very leary about clickin' the "post" button on that one... (with all due respect). Thanks for the open mind, man (an' the lack of mortar rounds aimed at Maine)...! ;)
You passed, grasshopper! :lol:

That is a good idea, BugGuy. As long as money is no object, then yes, that's a great way to go, if you can. Wish I coulda afforded to do that myself 3 years back. I'd be more-the-wiser now, I think.
My wife and I (Snowy) got different machines for just that reason... well, kinda...! I had the DFX, so she got the Fisher CZ-3D so we could cross-referance our sigs. But, in retrospect, I kinda think otherwise now. I would be nicer still if we could learn the same kind of machine together... sort of a "double-cranium-cram", if you will...!?! :yes:

Minelab Excalibur= heavy - but works on land and water
FisherCZ20 = expensive - but works on land and water
Whites BeachHunter = sand and water
Minelab Explorer II - heavy - sand and land
Whites DFX -steep learning curve - sand and land

Here's a suggestion. If you are just starting out, stick to the beach and surf. Easier digging, easier practicing, and you may not even want to relic hunt after digging sand. You'll get hooked on beach hunting. :yes:

Depending on what type of beach you plan on hunting, I would get a whites PI and dig on less trashy beaches and in the surf, or get a Whites MXT and forget about getting in the water for awhile. A Whites MXT will do dry sand and land.

For relic hunting you need a detector with visual ID on it. Neither the Excalibur or CZ20 have this.

Just a comment for the record. I know I've said it before in other threads. When I got my Exp II, I was expecting a long learning curve based on what I had read in the forums. The machine IS NOWHERE NEAR the beast I expected. On a scale of 1 - 10, with 10 being most difficult, I would say that it was a 3. There were parts that needed practical application after reading the manual. What nobody seems to mention is that the tweaking IS AN OPTION. You can ease into it a little at a time at your own pace and STILL have an above average detector even in the factory defaults. My very 1st find was a large heavy man's gold wedding ring worth about $400.00. The Explorer was in factory default and had only had about 2 minutes of total running time. I only knew the machine by having read the manual while anticipating its purchase. It is easier to learn now since Minelab started including the instructional DVD.

I only bring this up again so that someone doesn't dismiss an excellent machine out of fear. I will also mention that the Explorer II is NOT the only high quality machine, but one of a few that continue to prove themselves over and over.

jasonk said:
Heres the scoop. Want a detector that is the best. Do not want to buy one and "upgrade" after a few years. Want it to last. Cost not a factor.
Primarily will be used to hunt dry land, dry and wet sand, and underwater beach surf. Of course a life time warranty would be nice. don't care how it looks. Please consider weight, depth it will find things. Interested mainly in jewelry (beaches) with a secondary focus on relic hunting.

Thank you for all your input, i really need some help here.

Jason

no matter which brand or type of detector you buy I think you will get the best service from a local dealer. they will be able to take you out and show you how the detector operates in an actual hunting situation. you may pay a couple bucks more but you wil always have someone to help you in person...not on the phone

good luck in you selection

Well spoken, Bill.
The Ex. II is, without a doubt, a very prestigeous, and ultimately prominant machine, and as it holds it's own in the world of being of "top-shelf status", it will also, forever (it seems), be a never-ending, "royal knight" in the scrolls of "Machines that helped our planet"... (and our pockets)!  :lol:

Actually, if one does his/her homework, they'll find that if the Minelab Explorer (or II) is the/a formost machine that one delves into (more as an investment... 'cause of the "learning curve")... setting, it tends to get a lot easier than my machine does, for instance (with my White's DFX... and it's "puzzling video and/or manual), so it will forever be blessed 'cause of it's overwhelming abilities... (but, now... that's jus' me and my humble opinion, K? (...me, with my terrible, "in-desperate-need-of-an up-grade" memory.  :yes: Heck... I can't even remember what I had for breakfast, for rice cakes!  :shock:. Luckily, these programmable machines have a "save" feature.  :lol:)

As I watched, today (and listened), my boss (with his headphones un-plugged) scanned a spot that he had me (with the DFX) scan, and see what *I* was getting for a sig. "Yup... that's a coin, alright", I say.
(well, it turned out to be something besides a coin, but that's neither here nor there.)
But generally speaking (99% of the time), my Whites' DFX and his Minelab Explorer are "agreeable", as to what the target is.
Bottom line? If you're looking for just coins, put some coins on the ground... scan them in... set the machine to accept these "scanables" individually, and set it to reject everything else. You might pass up some stuff that's worth something, but you WILL find what you set your machine to find in the long run (IF you have a machine that's programmable, that is)... but you have to pass your coil over a coin first!  ;)
BTW... here's the extent of today's finds (for both of us) in a cornfield that's close to 200 years old (but we WILL be going back there... very soon. ;):

Attachments

• Button&Ball.jpg
    Button&Ball.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 161

I remember seeing a few post on this very topic in another place...
Here is my advice from my experience.
I bought a beginner model to see if I would like metal detecting. (bounty quick silver ll)
Loved it! Could not get enough MD!
Pick up the best detector I could find. (reviews and tech information that I found)
I needed a detector that would go deep. For me the minelab was the choice. I do not regret it.
The learning curve was steep but not nearly what I expected. And almost a year later and still out MD almost every day. I am still tweeking my settings to maximize things for the area I am hunting.
So I guess my advice is this.

1. Get a starter machine to see if you really enjoy it. (because if you don't you won't make the learning curve on any machine)
2. Each machine has it's strengths, find the one (or two) that meet your requirements.

Go out swinging! HH

I don't own a Minelab... never did... nor have I ever even held one, but my boss (work partner) has come a long way with his, having read manual after manual... not just for his machine either (even my manual for the DFX), and when I speak of the Minelab, I'm actually speaking through what he tells me (and we talk a LOT at work, about tweaking, etc).
Anyway, something we've covered in the past many times has come to mind that sorta relates to this string, so I wanna share.
After you get past the biggest part of the Minelab's "learning curve" (comparing his learning curve to mine with the DFX), "it gets to be a very simple machine to operate". Now, them's his words. ;) Like I said, I never even held one... but he really has dug up a lot more "keepables" compared to the junk we all have our turns diggin' up (and it's usually coins that are 200+ years old, too).
He really did it right... took his time... experimented with the tweaking over and over... and became very good friends with his Explorer.
Those finds (the button and lead ball) were both mine yesterday, but that's the very first time that we went out together and he didn't better me. Made my day, lemme tell ya! :lol:

TonyinCT said:
I understand what you're saying. That's why I said let me know if you need any help. Also , I was agreeing with the guys and Bill took to his EXII like a duck to water . The man wanted "a serious" detector. It doesn't get any more serious than an EXII and the man stated that he didn't care about price. If that is the case then I personally see no problem getting an EXII or other detector that's top of the line. I also agree with you that you should get many opinions which I beleive he is getting. Thanks for your input and no one should ever worry about giving me their opinion :yes:.

Meant to show you this string from our Maine MD forum, Tony... spaced it out the other night. :grin:
http://mainemetaldetecting.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?p=1036&highlight=#1036

Back
Top Bottom