What would be the best bang for the buck?

keredc

I am thinking about getting a metal detector, but not really sure. Right now I'm just looking into it. I remember metal detecting when I was younger with my dad, and it was fun finding all those old coins . :grin: So I was looking around at some of the lower-end detectors, cause it's been awhile since I've done any detecting, so I don't just want to jump in head first. So I'm looking in about the $200 range. Right now I'm mostly looking at the Ace 250 and Prizm II, leaning towards the Ace 250. Tesoro didn't seem to have anything I could afford and with Fisher I can't find the prices on their site lol. And in case I do decide to get one, there's just a few questions I want to cover first. Like about 20. :roll: Anywho.....

1. Silent discrimination - I read in the tesoro section I believe about either the cibola or vasquero having silent discrimination, which hurts in finding stuff. Do any other detectors have this?

2. Which metal detectors have the best recovery rate?

3. What's the sweep rate on them? (I am doubting this makes too much difference though)

4. Settings - One of the reasons I am liking the Ace better, cause of the extra settings. Which one has the best?

5. Does the display rate lag on them, being that their digital? My dad used to have a 6000 xl pro (til it was stolen :mad: ) and they were supposed to have a good display with the analog/meter/w/e.

6. Are they backlit?

7. Which has the best warranty? If I remember correctly Garrett's gives a lifetime warranty :grin:

8. Who has the best customer service? Again somewhere on these forums (believe it was in the Whites section) they basically all are great

9. Display accuracy - which displays are the most accurate to what you actually dig up?

10. Which one has the best sound accuracy?

11. Which one is the sturdiest in design?

12. Which one is best for coins? This is what I mostly plan to use it for, although I may try some relic hunting too.

13. Which has the best depth?

14. Which one is the most accurate in beeping over the right spot?

15. Comparisons to high-priced detectors - Now this one has me a bit confused. I've read reviews for the lower-end detectors and there will be people that say that their Prizm 3 finds more stuff than their friend's XLT. Which makes no sense cause why would the low ones actually be better than the high ones? Are they just BSing, they are the same just the high-end one has more settings, or the high-end one just hasn't been set right? Or even (i doubt it this one) they spend more in flash on the high ones instead of practicality.

16. Will it pay for itself? I like finding old coins & jewelry but it'd be nice if it covered the cost of itself too. :P

17. Are the lower-end ones worth the money? I know anything around $150 or lower isn't if it's new.

18. Should I get a new one, or a used one like off of Ebay? Are ones on ebay not warranted?

19. Overall which brand/model would be best do you think? :P

Lol sorry I know this is like a ton of questions. I am just making sure if I do get one I get the smartest choice. Thank you for at least taking your time to read this if you do. :D

For 200 bucks,go with the Ace 250.All the other questions you'll answer when you get out swinging that coil.
Oh yeah,you might as well buy it new.I think you can get them for 200 shipped.
Welcome to a fun hobby.
Welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the forum keredc. For right now, I think the ACE 250 would be you best choice. Its a very light weight machine, learning curve is small, and it definately finds the coins and jewelery. And for $200 bucks, I don't think you will go wrong. But this is just my opinion of course. PS... I own a DFX, and have used the ACE250, and I really like this machine. :yes:

Welcome. Sounds like you prefer more options, so for the money the Ace 250 should work out fine. The Prizm and Ace performance is very close and to get all the bells and whistles of the Ace you would have to go to the Prizm IV, which is a good detector but about twice the money. Don't get me wrong about the Prizms I had the IV and it performed very well.

Go with the Ace 250, unless you want to spend more cash, you won't be disappointed unless you try to hunt the wet salt beach area's I'm told. H.H.:-)

Hi and welcome back to the hobby. Most of your questions are irrelevent to the price range you specified. There are more "features" on the Ace250 than some higher priced models. However , never equate "features" with performance. The Ace250 is still the best starter detector going for the money (which is now 212.45.Garrett adjusted there lowest allowable price for all dealers). Other features you ask about , I can answer but again they are irrelevent to your needs right now. If you want to have fun and find coins and less junk in the low end then the Ace250 is it.
Hope this helps for now. If you need the other questions answered , give me a call. BTW , yo can see the Fisher prices on my site.
Thanks
Tony

Terry 55 said:
Welcome. Sounds like you prefer more options, so for the money the Ace 250 should work out fine. The Prizm and Ace performance is very close and to get all the bells and whistles of the Ace you would have to go to the Prizm IV, which is a good detector but about twice the money. Don't get me wrong about the Prizms I had the IV and it performed very well.

I couldn't agree more, Terry. The guy who turned me on to metal detcting owns a Prizm IV, so when I wanted a detector, I was looking for the target ID, the depth, and the pinpoint features. I bought the Ace, of course.

I see what you mean now about most of those questions being irrelevant. Sorry about the huge post :P. Just trying to make the best decision. :P Oh and don't get me wrong I wasn't equating features with performance, so much as if both were about equal, I'd want the one I could fine tune more. Some other things I was wanting to bring up is for one it was mentioned on this forum that the Ace 250 doesn't have a true all-metal mode. How much of a difference does that make? Also it was mentioned I should just buy new, but I'm still wondering which would be a better buy, new or used? Oh, one last thing lol. I saw that the Fisher 1225-X was about $240 and the Quickdraw II was about $230 (got the prices from tony's site :P). How do these measure up to the Ace?

Bump here. Got some new questions too. :P

1. Was looking at the Classic series. Went to here http://www.tomstreasures.com/whitesreviews.html and one review says the Classic III does terrible in trashy areas while the Classic SL III reviews have no such complaints. Is it a case of just differing opinions or is the SL superior in trashy areas? Or on another note what's the difference between a Classic II and a Classic III? If I got either of these I don't think I could afford one new.

2. Do either the Fisher 1225-X or Tesoro Silver Umax have true all-metal mode and/or better depth than the 250? Cause overall I would rather have these features rather than a display. Also an adjustable ground balance would be nice too.

here's another link I found
http://www.treasurenet.com/f/index....ml?PHPSESSID=edf4358ae20bd38a62d627d190b1ff9c
which leads me to ask if the Silver is better than the Classic II, then how does the Silver hold up to the Classic III? Or any of the SL series?

Again maybe I'm being overly nitpicky here lol.

Basically the Classic Series is no longer available and hasn't been since 2004. The 1225 and Silver uMax will both go deeper than the Ace250 but neither have target ID. The Silver uMax is a great littel detector and has been for some time now.

Back
Top Bottom