Gator vs Lesche Digger, a short review.

Fish N Chips

If any one is interested, I put together a little review of my Gator and my Lesche diggers. I am pretty new and still have to spend more field time with both tools, but here is my initial thoughts. I felt both tools are good quality, with the edge going to the Lesche. The Lesche sure cuts clean plugs!

nice review
i've owned both diggers and the lesche is my trusty diggin tool, and as far as the sheath that comes with them.....toss them in the trash, you'll find out that they will come apart and get packed with dirt and mud pretty quick. the best sheath i've used was the Bomb 2 made by Buzz Wilson, the quality can't be beat and he ships super fast, his sheaths are also open on the bottom to allow the dirt to fall out.
http://metaldetectingforum.com/album.php?albumid=2147&pictureid=33057

also swap out the handle grip on the leshe and it makes for a much more comfortable tool
my lesche is goin on its 4th year and my sheath is almost 2yrs old......both take a beating and are holding up great

Attachments

• P8060231.jpg
    P8060231.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 721
Thanks! Having the sheath open on the bottom is a great idea. Buzz Wilsons work looks great. I do some leather work, and will eventually make my own sheath. I have some good tooling leather just waiting for a project. I have noticed the nylon sheaths collect a good amount of dirt in them. I try to wipe off the blade before re-inserting, but you can't get it all off. I also may try to spray the blade with a little silicone spray, to see if it helps it stays cleaner in the field. Wet soil really clings to the blade.

The more I use it, the more I am liking the Lesche. It really cuts nicely, even with the rocks in the soil. I will get one of the motorcycle grips for it, I think the softer rubber would be much more comfortable and non-slip.

I appreciate the advice!

I prefer the lefty Lesche digger too. I'm right-handed but it seems more natural to me to cut clockwise. I never gave much thought to sharpening it, I think I might give that a try. Thanks.

Thanks! Having the sheath open on the bottom is a great idea. Buzz Wilsons work looks great. I do some leather work, and will eventually make my own sheath. I have some good tooling leather just waiting for a project. I have noticed the nylon sheaths collect a good amount of dirt in them. I try to wipe off the blade before re-inserting, but you can't get it all off. I also may try to spray the blade with a little silicone spray, to see if it helps it stays cleaner in the field. Wet soil really clings to the blade.

The more I use it, the more I am liking the Lesche. It really cuts nicely, even with the rocks in the soil. I will get one of the motorcycle grips for it, I think the softer rubber would be much more comfortable and non-slip.

I appreciate the advice!

After digging a ton of holes this weekend, I was thinking the same thing about dirt clinging to the blade. I'm going to clean it off, smooth it down a bit with some 600 grit sandpaper, and spray some pam on it to see if the dirt stays off it better.

Sounds like you need to paint it JD green

John Deere was a blacksmith who started using sawblade Iron to make plowshares. The saw blade iron would not let the tree sap stick to it, so JD made plow shares out of it because that prevented the plows from getting gummed up with dirt. Maybe if the lesche was covered with JD green(or a layer of chilled iron) it wouldn't get so dirty! LOL
HH,
John Morton

Neat history John! I definitely think a coating would help on the blade. I have had good luck with the silicone spray on other items, but it would need to be re-done every trip. I have seen some teflon spray paints that may work. Not sure how durable they would be. It may be a good trial to see what would work best.

Back
Top Bottom