which digging tool?

stumpy

What digging tool does everyone use for general metal detecting? I have been using an old hand shovel which works you to death, especially if the ground is hard. Then I tried a small spade which did good but was a little bulky to carry around. Any suggestions? The lesche serrated blade digging tool looks pretty good. Anyone used it?

The Lesche is good and strong doubt a person would ever bend one let alone break one but the blade is too straight (not enough curve) for my liking. I like the Wilcox trowels.

Attachments

• wap_202s.jpg
    wap_202s.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 1,175
The Lesche is good and strong doubt a person would ever bend one let alone break one but the blade is too straight (not enough curve) for my liking. I like the Wilcox trowels.

Ditto on this. I have a lesche, used it once. Didn't do it for me. They're a waste IMO. One scoop with a Sampson digger = 80 scoops with a small lesche. Plugs are just as neat.

Ditto on this. I have a lesche, used it once. Didn't do it for me. They're a waste IMO. One scoop with a Sampson digger = 80 scoops with a small lesche. Plugs are just as neat.

Chad has a point....

The lesche is pretty flat and blade-like; they are not really made to scoop. You use a lesche to cut a plug and break up the soil If there are roots in the way, it can cut them. But to get the soil out efficiently, you gotta stick your hand in there and remove the soil.

The lesche is awesome to 4" or so. Every inch deeper becomes more annoying.

The Sampson digger is the best I have used. Many people swear by the Lesche hand digger. I don't like it at all. It cuts a nice hole, but it does not dig or move dirt at all. It also scratches way to many coins. I have a Gator Digger like the Wilcox above and I like it much more than the Lesche.

lesche for parks and yards........
028.jpg

31 inch serated sampson for woods & fields
P9220296.jpg

I have dug very few holes so take this with a grain of salt. The lesche hand digger has been good for shallow targets, but doesn't move dirt out of the hole easily for me as I go deeper. My arthritic elbows feel it, too. I will still have it with me when metal detecting though.

I've been carrying a spade. It works, but it is heavy and awkward. I just received a Sampson serrated 31". It looks and feels like it will do well. My research found very good reports from users, but I haven't used it yet. It gives a real good feel when holding it. I bet my arthritic ankles will feel it the next day though. 4 arthritic extremities......that should give me 4 days of hunting in a row. : )

Menards and other hardware stores sell a sod knife that doesn't look like a weapon. Like a Fiskars. They are all pretty much the same. I just feel like if I'm ina public place and I'm holding a Lesche someone will go nuts and call the cops. Not worth the fuss.
Plus my sod tool is actually easier and more comfortable than my lesche, and only $8.

Fiskars works great for 0-6" under 10.00 at home depot. Have small 18" shovel for deeper targets. Welcome to the addiction! :cool:

I've bent those Lesche style hand diggers before....so...gator diggers works for me. I've had the gators for 25+ years.........see ya yardhunter

Lesche can't be beat for grass, roots and most detecting situations.

I highly recommend a military entrenching tool for everything else. Gerber E-tool is perfect. Light, unbreakable, well designed and foldable. It's easy enough to carry the folding shovel and a Lesche while detecting, they both fit in sheaths .
Shop around, got mine for $30 http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-30-000075-E-Tool-Folding-Serrated/dp/B001JQ5YJ6

Ditto on this, works very well for around 10 bucks. I never really felt the need to upgrade, digs a nice plug. Also have a t handle Sampson and a real deal shovel for the woods and use a Beach Brute on the beach.
I use the one from Lowes too, cuts plugs fine but doesn't remove the soil very well.

I have a lesche hand digger, I like the part between the handle and blade that gives more area to push down with the other hand. Then I have a trowel from Lowe's that is cerated all the way to the point that cuts better through grass. I use a 4 inch trenching shovel from Home Depot that makes digging easier and make small holes.

Back
Top Bottom