radio shack detector questions

F

flhuntr

i bought a used radio shak detector at a flea market , and i think it is made by bounty hunter, i think it is the land star model. are these pretty good for a beginner?

Fun is in the eye of the beholder. My wife got me a R. Shack Discovery 1000, 5 years ago. It wasn't the best, but I had a blast and progressed. For that it's priceless.

i've used the landstar before and found it to be a really easy machine to use and i found my share of coins and rings with it - but just keep on practicing with it.

I've never used that one either, but as said before, if the "bug"bites you hard...it'll be a good learning machine.

Todd

In my mind radioshack detectors are no good at all,and neither are bounty hunter detectors (no offense to anyone,this is just my opinion),before i got my whites dfx or the eagle spectrum i owned a radioshack detector and had nothing but trouble with it,discrimination wasn't any good and target I.D. was off 99% of the time.
However if it works for you,thats great. :D
Whatever the case,I hope the detector works out for you. :grin:

In my mind radioshack detectors are no good at all,and neither are bounty hunter detectors (no offense to anyone,this is just my opinion)

I beg to differ (check out my posts in "Stories & Pics of Finds"!)and so would a few others on this forum. :yes:  But then again dialog is good! :yes:

Sounds like you have the Discovery 3000, 3 knobs with autonotch. I have the same one. Great detector, ten years old and still works great. Paid for itself many times. I have a hunting buddy with an XLT from Whites and it outperformes his at all levels. Just not as many features and not as well made, but finds things deeper, quicker, and pinpoints dead-on.

I use a bounty hunter tracker 4 metal detector and have a blast with it. I have had it for about three years and haven"t had a minutes trouble with it. I recently purchased the bh 3300 that was on sale. I had nothing but trouble with it and returned it. I guess im not a digital readout kind of guy . I can tell more with the meter and tone of my machine. I think every company has produced a lemon at one time or another. I guess it boils down to what your personal preferences are, what works best for you. Just remember to have a good time no matter what machine you use.
HH, Wes.

One thing I have noticed about the BH (Discovery 3300) is they have a high failure rate out of the box. It seems like you either get a great one or a lemon. I enjoy my 3300 very much and have found quarters as deep as 7" that ID correctly. THEY GO DEEP! for the price you pay for them. Have fun and good hunting.

Jack

I have had my 3300 for six months and it has been trouble free.
I have made a lot of good finds and the more I use it the more I like it.
Mine was shipped to me directly from Texas.
I have read that some Radio Shacks will fill an order by getting one from a different Radio Shack in a nearby location. I cannot help but wonder if maybe they sometimes resell one that has been returned.
That could exaggerate the failure rate.

I missed the big sale they had on the 3300, for a little over $100 I would have got one for my daughter. She is a lot more interested in MDing than my son was. He is now in the Air Force. Until he discovered girls, all he was interested in was video games.

Florida Tabdigger said:
I missed the big sale they had on the 3300, for a little over $100 I would have got one for my daughter. She is a lot more interested in MDing than my son was. He is now in the Air Force. Until he discovered girls, all he was interested in was video games.

tabdigger,

call around or go online to radio shack, I just picked one up on Tuesday see my post.

Good luck

I began detecting in 1979 with a Bounty Hunter BFO unit ( I think it was a Bounty Hunter III). In my opinion the new bountys /radio shack detectors are not built as well as the older units. They are mass produced for Wally World and of course Radio Shack. When anything is built in masses , you can expect quality control to drop. I have played around with a few of the newer models , some work very well , and then some sound like two robots having a conversation at a Yard Sale , very erractic. One + about them is the coils , they all interchange as far as I can tell.
HH , David

Back
Top Bottom