A Request for Advice on a Detector Purchase

Will D.

Hello, Folks!

So here is the situation:
Some years ago I owned two different detectors over a period of time, both Garrett models, both relatively basic models, and I was always happy with them. I sold them quite awhile back.

Now I would like to return to the hobby and I'm trying to figure out what model to purchase. I've been thinking about the Garrett AT Pro (probably a used model) or the Garrett ACE 400 (because, as I said, I've always liked the Garretts that I've owned).

So, to give you a bit more information, I live in eastern Pennsylvania and I would expect that I would be using the detector to search for things such as jewelry, coins, and relics. Or old nails and pull tabs. :D

So I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions?
Any feedback on the Garrett detectors would be welcome and I would absolutely appreciate any recommendations regarding other detectors!

Also, what do you think about a pinpointer? I've never used one, but I've seen the opinion offered that it really is a great tool to have these days. Should I factor the cost of one into my eventual detector purchase?

THANKS very much for your time and advice!

The pinpointer will make your detecting much more enjoyable. Either of those machines are outstanding. I'm sure you can find a package deal for eiher with a propointer. I say go for it. Watch some youtube videos and pick one. You can't go wrong with a Garrett.

The other important consideration is to contact the forum sponsors to see if they have any trade-in units. If they do, you'll get a much better deal through them than anywhere else.

HH & GL

I had several Garrett Ace 250s & they couldn't ID a dime past 4". Then I got an AT Pro and just about right away after I adjusted the ground balance, I got a 7" deep dime that IDed as dime on every pass. This in moderately mineralized ground that was so very hard I could barely recover the dime. This was in a park that gets detected nearly every day, and that dime was probably there 30 years!

The beep was loud as I was using STD mode. Coins program & iron rejected. I was using the stock coil.

I also really like my Teknetics G2+ as it correctly IDs a dime in air at 10" and some say it will do that in their ground.

Both of these detectors are available used for $400 or slightly less.

AT Pro is great machine

I had one and it found plenty of goodies! I hunt in pa/nj soil is not too bad. You in a great time cause alot of people are dumping AT Pro for the AT Maxx. The market is flooded with used machines. Lower price for buyer.

I would grab one and hit the ground running. I would also get a good pin pointer. saves time and frustration!

HH Koz

Back
Top Bottom