Which Pinpointer?

Javaman

First, let me say thanks to everyone who offered advice and helped me decide on my first MD purchase (Fisher F2 with the DD coil - good deal from Marc at Hollands Brook). I Need some help and advice again! I've decided, to really do things the right way (even though I'm waiting for this blasted snow to disappear to get out for the first time), I'm going to need a pinpointer. Most of my hunting will be in the woods - I would say 65% there, 25% grass and 10% beach. What do you guys (and gals) suggest?

Garrett Pro-Pointer. Put a piece of black tape over the speaker to keep the dirt and sand out.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I have no other experience with anything but the Garrett Pro Pointer so I can only give my opinion on that one. I love it. It has been a very pleasing purchase. I always thought, "Who needs one of those things?" So many people here were talking about them and I watched the YouTube videos. I went ahead and bought one. On my first time out I found value in it. I will always use one now and if this one breaks I will get another. So my advise is to get a pin pointer for sure. And Garrett makes a good one but I am sure other brands work great too. You will be glad you got one.

Paul

Garrett Propointer. Cheaper, and just as good, if not better, than the Minelab.

Every person I've hunted with that has used the Garrett has had problems with them after a few months. I recommend the Bullseye or the Vibraprobe.

I have a VibraProbe 570. Really like the simplicity and it being waterproof. However, after getting the Garrett Pro-Pointer, it's my opinion the size and performance is better.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I just bought a new garrett pro pointer , but have a fisher pointer I may be interested in selling . PM me if thats something you may be interested in .

I just bought a new garrett pro pointer , but have a fisher pointer I may be interested in selling . PM me if thats something you may be interested in .

Appreciate your offer but at this point, I'm thinking the Garrett is the way to go. Curious...you bought (I assume) a Fisher and now want to sell it because (again, I assume) you now bought a Garrett. Your post would indicate that you believe the Garrett is the superior. Why?

I have that Fisher PP. It's ok. Have to get to under an inch away from metal for it to buzz, which is just one of the reasons the GPP is far superior. No proximity with the Fisher either, the GPP lets you know the closer you get. Setting the dial every time you want to use the Fisher is annoying too.

Basically you're trying to compare a lowest 'it works' device to one of the best in the class (which explains the over double cost).

Another vote for the GPP here. Although I've been toying with buying a minelab. I like the ability to select vibe or tone or both on the minelab. Also has a sensitivity adjustment. Hmmmmmm

for normal dirt hunting ya can't go wrong with either the garrett or minelab pinpointer. if your lookin to submerse your probe in water i'd suggest the vibraprobe but i have found that my vibraprobe did make my AT pro very chatty. when it comes to beach hunting i leave my pinpointer at home

Another vote for the GPP here. Although I've been toying with buying a minelab. I like the ability to select vibe or tone or both on the minelab. Also has a sensitivity adjustment. Hmmmmmm

one thing i don't like about the minelab is the weaker vibration feature....esp when the volume is turned off. as far as adjusting the sensitivity i have never felt a need to lower it on the minelab (its always maxed out) even tho on my garrett i used to "detune" it alot ta figure out if a target was a coin or something larger

one thing i don't like about the minelab is the weaker vibration feature....esp when the volume is turned off. as far as adjusting the sensitivity i have never felt a need to lower it on the minelab (its always maxed out) even tho on my garrett i used to "detune" it alot ta figure out if a target was a coin or something larger

Ahhhh I didn't know it had a weaker vibe...that's definitely not cool. I detune the Garrett too a lot. Glad I'm not the only one lol.

I am extremely happy with a Detector Pro Pistol Probe. It has a 5" range but it is very directional and rarely gets fooled by trash in the wall of the hole. I treat it like a little mini metal detector and I do not jam, poke, or push with the probes tip.

Back
Top Bottom