Any 5 string players?

Bill_Ace_350

Elite Member
Any banjo players here?

Have been picking on and off for years, Scruggs style.

I was thinking new detector or new banjo?

Well, made my decision and ordered a Deering Goodtime banjo.

Now that detecting is over for the year, and I shot my deer for the season, need something to help pass the time this winter, in addition to ice fishing.

Deering is a great brand. Are you getting the open back or the resonator model? I had a nice Ibanez for a couple of years but couldn't get the Scruggs style down. Old time claw hammer only. Much easier to play mandolin for me. Good luck and keep pickin n grinnin!

I have a classical guitar, I took a semester of classical guitar in community college a little over 40 years ago, and very occasionally tried to improve my playing ability but never put in enough practice to get good at it yet :lol: I got more into learning piano and got a little better at that than at guitar, better, but not really too good :lol:

Deering is a great brand. Are you getting the open back or the resonator model? I had a nice Ibanez for a couple of years but couldn't get the Scruggs style down. Old time claw hammer only. Much easier to play mandolin for me. Good luck and keep pickin n grinnin!

I ordered the open back.

I have a Washburn with resonator.

Funny, I couldn't get the hang of claw hammer!

I don't have any musical talents at all. I was singing in the house one time and my 5 year old walked up to me, told me if he ever saw me on American Idol he would change the channel. :laughing:

I don't have any musical talents at all. I was singing in the house one time and my 5 year old walked up to me, told me if he ever saw me on American Idol he would change the channel. :laughing:

Ditto!!! I was singing at home once and the neighbors called and said whatever I was doing to the cat, please stop.

I'm not musical at all..wish I was..I can write some lyrics though....I wrote "Concrete Cowboy"...and I wrote a zydeco "Shrimpers Lament" after the Deep water Horizon blew...

I could easily do some rap...Like a spin off of "Thrift Shop" by Macklemore....?

"I'm out to stab some clad, only got twenny dollars in my pocket, I, I'm a hunting, looking for some claddage, this is freaking awesome!"

"Into the totter saying yo whats up? I'm a clad stabbing MFer called MudPup! Stooping and stabbin, chipkickin' and grabbin' snatching up clad like a stone cold Madman! What? I'm a gonna do you Grandpa style! Say WHAT? I'm gonna do ya Grandma style! Hell yeah! Drop my sense and go full tones and quick broom this mutherhubbard for a while!" :laughing:

I'm not musical at all..wish I was..I can write some lyrics though....I wrote "Concrete Cowboy"...and I wrote a zydeco "Shrimpers Lament" after the Deep water Horizon blew...

I could easily do some rap...Like a spin off of "Thrift Shop" by Macklemore....?

"I'm out to stab some clad, only got twenny dollars in my pocket, I, I'm a hunting, looking for some claddage, this is freaking awesome!"

"Into the totter saying yo whats up? I'm a clad stabbing MFer called MudPup! Stooping and stabbin, chipkickin' and grabbin' snatching up clad like a stone cold Madman! What? I'm a gonna do you Grandpa style! Say WHAT? I'm gonna do ya Grandma style! Hell yeah! Drop my sense and go full tones and quick broom this mutherhubbard for a while!" :laughing:

This is Mud off the rails. As my kids would say “sick lyrics” man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:laughing:

Love it!

<°)))>{

I'm not good either, just have fun learning.

The banjo got here on Wednesday.

Boy, does it sound so much better and plays easier than my other one!

I was told in elementary school that I had absolutely no musical talent. In fact I think I got an f in Music Appreciation. I appreciate music but no talent for playing. Yes I have tried but to no avail.

I was told in elementary school that I had absolutely no musical talent. In fact I think I got an f in Music Appreciation. I appreciate music but no talent for playing. Yes I have tried but to no avail.

Yeah...I supersize with you Geo! My Grandfather once gave me a banjo!...He said it has been in the Family for over 200yrs! Came over on the Mayflower!....Handed down to the MudPup firstborn Males each generation! What an honor!...

I was about 8yrs old...One early morning in 1967, bored, in Neosho Missouri, I took this Banjo, went out into Gpaws shop and sawed off the handle and made myself a snare drum out of it!....This is a true story!

My Gpaw then gave the treasured family Violin to my younger Brother...who likewise had no musical skills or appreciation and also didnt amount to a diddly damn....I think he sold it at a pawn shop for $100?....I've never seen a nickle of that money...

Evidently, my Ancestors had the ability to produce some stringed instruments though...Genetics wasted through the fog of time....I sometimes like banging on a 5gal Home Depot plastic bucket with a vegetable lathe or a wooden spoon...I'm pretty damn good if I dont say so....

I cant imagine why my ancestors liked dinking around with stringed instruments? Made them even? Maybe they were all Gypsies? I dont know...I got more important things to worry about....

Wow.

I can't believe how nice the Goodtime sounds and plays!

Should have purchased one long ago....

The action is perfect, the tone incredible and loud, especially for an openback.

I'm one extremely satisfied customer. If you're thinking of getting a new banjo, give the Goodtime a look.

OK, boys. Got an auction coming up in about a week-and-a-half. Has a banjo listed, looks like it has a resonator. Texted listing has no info, other than "banjo, no case".
Anybody care to speculate on what it is, and suggested price?
http://www.backes-auction.com/auction-details?id=395

Grand daughter got a cheapo piece of plastic toy for Christmas, and I thought this might be one heck of a surprise for her, if it went low enough.

Roger

Back
Top Bottom