Shark made me lose my nerve!

itsaring!

24K Larry
Forum Supporter
Hit the beach early this morning at a spot where a guy had previously said he lost his wedding band. I was trying up high and decided to try the water while the tide was still dropping. About the time i get by the water, there is two young kids and two ladies by me. We're the only ones. Turns out it is a mother, daughter, and two grandkids. Well once i pass them, there is this little shark. Maybe a big bonnethead? And it's pushing itself up towards the bank. Maybe eating shrimp,or sand fleas? Anyway it spins around, and about that time i see the other people fixing to go in. I holler," Hey! Don't go in there! There's a shark!" The Gramma hollers back! " A deep hole?" That didn't even rhyme!:laughing:
Anyway! I say "No, a shark!" She says "Huh? Oh i see it!" And next thing you know it disappears. The ladies say"That was neat! It's our very first trip to the ocean!" I decide to wait it out a bit and hope the shark crossed the sand bar. I look up and the ladies still got their cameras. They ask me. " You seen it again?" I say "No!" They say "Hmm? Shark can't hold its breath longer than 15 minutes!" I say " Do what? Sharks don't breath surface air!" They say."They don't?" and look at each other:laughing:
Anyway as time passed i figure the sharks gone. I go in the water. And not 5 minutes later the sharks hitting the bank again about 60 feet to my right. I figure he's likely moving outside the bar. So figure it's okay. Dug a dime waist deep. Next thing i get a lower tone. I use my coil like a kickstand when i'm digging. Not heavy pressure. But enough to keep my balance. Second scoop i'm raising my scoop up and get a big "Thunk!" in my lower coil shaft. I'm not talking a light tap. I got the hell out of the water! Thought about it a while. Then just left that beach altogether. Could have been a rock shifting. But i wasn't gonna go back in and find out. You guys that go in the water at night can have that krap!:laughing:

Yeah....I just read a beach hunter book and there is Noooooo waaaaay I'm getting in the gulf waist deep at night. The Bull Sharks around here get to be the size of a subway train....and don't even get me started on the fact that most shark attacks happen in shallow water.

I go in the water. And not 5 minutes later the sharks hitting the bank again about 60 feet to my right. I figure he's likely moving outside the bar. So figure it's okay. Dug a dime waist deep. Next thing i get a lower tone. I use my coil like a kickstand when i'm digging. Not heavy pressure. But enough to keep my balance. Second scoop i'm raising my scoop up and get a big "Thunk!" in my lower coil shaft. I'm not talking a light tap. I got the hell out of the water! Thought about it a while. Then just left that beach altogether. Could have been a rock shifting. But i wasn't gonna go back in and find out. You guys that go in the water at night can have that krap!:laughing:

Coward! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

I wear purple trunks with real big orange flowers on 'em and do my best to resemble an exotic aquatic plant. Had there ever been a shark attack on somebody who it metal detecting? I've never heard of one and anyway, I ain't skeered.

I love hunting the big unsalted! It may get cold but dangit nothing is going to bite, sting, maul or Steve Irwin me here either! :laughing:

I love hunting the big unsalted! It may get cold but dangit nothing is going to bite, sting, maul or Steve Irwin me here either! :laughing:

Hope you don't have Muskies in your water... :D

Attachments

• 1muskie.jpg
    1muskie.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 700
I wear purple trunks with real big orange flowers on 'em and do my best to resemble an exotic aquatic plant. Had there ever been a shark attack on somebody who it metal detecting? I've never heard of one and anyway, I ain't skeered.

Dunno? I know if it was a bonnethead, they use preys electric field to locate buried prey. Couldn't get a look at this things head. I know it wasn't a black tip. Guess i should have grabbed it by the tail and pulled it out of the water and ran back to get my camera:lol:

It was that dead guy reaching up from the dead to grab you! Why are there sharks there now? Because they never found the dead guy. Feeding time and you are the bait. :yes: We saw some big stuff on the Gulf today and yesterday. Manatees the size of a small car moving FAST through the water. Then Cliff saw something 4 feet long pass by him moving fast. Breeding time in the old ocean.

It was that dead guy reaching up from the dead to grab you! Why are there sharks there now? Because they never found the dead guy. Feeding time and you are the bait. :yes: We saw some big stuff on the Gulf today and yesterday. Manatees the size of a small car moving FAST through the water. Then Cliff saw something 4 feet long pass by him moving fast. Breeding time in the old ocean.

I went to another beach and saw some decent mullet rolling. guess its gonna be an active year. They say you are more likely to get struck by lightning. Only problem is getting struck by lightning isn't rare here either:no:

I have had a few shark encounters myself,but so far never while using my excal.
I am curious though about how sharks react to the field emitted by a metal detector,do they get confused by the field? Does the field just seem like white noise to they? I have never heard of a guy getting attacked while detecting,so I doubt the field seems like thrashing prey.
I did run into a stingray (they use em sensors to find prey) and it seemed pretty calm when I gently prodded it away with the excal.

I've had that feeling before.
I was moving in and out of a trough about armpit deep, with no luck, went up the slope of the sand bar, when I turned to go back I saw a very large dorsal fin cruising past between me and the shore :shock: Funny how your bowels react to a sight like that :lol: I was trying to figure out if the Coast Guard would charge anything to Air Lift me off the sand bar and if so how much.
Anyway after about 20 minutes of staring at the trough for any sign of large movement, I got up the nerve to make the crossing back. I try not to think about that day when I'm in the water now.

I've had that feeling before.
I was moving in and out of a trough about armpit deep, with no luck, went up the slope of the sand bar, when I turned to go back I saw a very large dorsal fin cruising past between me and the shore :shock: Funny how your bowels react to a sight like that :lol: I was trying to figure out if the Coast Guard would charge anything to Air Lift me off the sand bar and if so how much.
Anyway after about 20 minutes of staring at the trough for any sign of large movement, I got up the nerve to make the crossing back. I try not to think about that day when I'm in the water now.

One of a sharks favorite feeding zones around sandbars.. small fish enter that turbulent water created by the sandbar and the shark is there waiting for it to go tumbling by... keep hunting there :yes:

See, you just can't concentrate on hunting when you are looking for sharks during the daylight hours.... now at night, you can't see what's out there so you concentrate better.... just don't turn on any lights till you have something in the scoop to look for.... you just might attract MORE bait....

Cliff

Just hum a happy tune while you hunt, and you will forget all about the dangerous creatures that are surrounding you.

I like to hum this one:

Strange, I was looking up studies this morning related to whether or not fish and marine life were attracted to electro magnetic fields. I know the rays and barracudas seem like the dual field more when its on. Its pretty unnerving, even for the small ones, especially when they keep coming back.

P.s

Back
Top Bottom