back pain when scooping

Foot pain too

Back pain is a drag. But what gets me more often is foot pain.
Usually on my left foot (my digging foot), right in the ball of the foot near the smaller toes. Makes walking really difficult once it takes hold, like Carpal tunnel on the wrist, makes flexing the toes difficult.
Anyone ever experience something similar?

Yes I have it and so does my friend. It's caused from using the front ball of your foot to dig targets. Mine goes away after a few days of no detecting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back pain is a drag. But what gets me more often is foot pain.
Usually on my left foot (my digging foot), right in the ball of the foot near the smaller toes. Makes walking really difficult once it takes hold, like Carpal tunnel on the wrist, makes flexing the toes difficult.
Anyone ever experience something similar?
I was getting this pain when I went from using Crocs to using diving booties which I stopped using. Back to Crocs and no more pain!

There is a foot condition called plantar fasciitis which is a pain in the heel to the arch of the foot which hurts the most in the morning when you wake up which is weird.

Try arch supports and shoes like Soft Science boots with a wide sole to avoid shock and walk easier on soft sand.

Might want to try a pull type scoop instead of a step on? I use a pull type scoop..similar to using a hoe...90 degree handle....both feet remain firmly planted during its operation, it seems to work and I dont have to worry about tipping myself over!...:laughing:

I agree with those that said see a good doctor and get the problem fixed. Just had a torn rotator cuff repaired last week so I can get back out there digging full time. Better than hiding in the house.

Get a smaller scoop....... like the StarvR and ensure it has holes big enough to clear the material you are scooping. Open scoops clear easier. I have very little problem getting to the target. I just dig a scoop toss it and if its still there scoop again. I dont attempt to lift ever scoop...... and i shake as im lifting. You might be surprised that its your digging and not your lifting too. I tend to extend ... or should i say over extend some times if im deep trying to get the scoop in. I end up with a catch in my back that takes a couple of days to go away..... but it wasnt from lifting.

Just now thought about something that may be of service...A guy I knew who raced Motocross told me that before any event or anything thats going to be physically stressful, he would take a great big Aspirin and drink a lot of water right BEFORE!

I've been doing that for years now and it really does work! Pre Medicate!

Just now thought about something that may be of service...A guy I knew who raced Motocross told me that before any event or anything thats going to be physically stressful, he would take a great big Aspirin and drink a lot of water right BEFORE!

Wow...another great idea that does wonders for the lining of your stomach.

I do the same with the oxy I've been on for decades. Back (broke in 1968) is bad and caused nerve damage to legs as well after many years. Talked with an old guy and he said 1st do not carry the scoop drag it as it will be easier on you and mark your path. He makes a grid with the trailing scoop. I'm ready to try and will figure a way to hook it to my belt.

Don't drag it. It will collect sand in the scoop, get heavy and just hurt your back in another way. I would make a shoulder strap like a golf bag so the scoop hangs on one shoulder in a horizontal position at your beltline. It will be away from your coil and it will free your hand from constantly gripping the handle.

Don't drag it. It will collect sand in the scoop, get heavy and just hurt your back in another way. I would make a shoulder strap like a golf bag so the scoop hangs on one shoulder in a horizontal position at your beltline. It will be away from your coil and it will free your hand from constantly gripping the handle.

Now THAT sounds like a great idea. Not sure yet how to get it horizontal yet,,, going to see what I can figure out though! Thank you!

If you go back to those pictures I posted you will see I tied a rope on the top scoop and used a golf grip as a shoulder traction pad to keep the scoop horizontal.

Attachments

• file.jpg
    file.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 44
Back
Top Bottom