Best starter detector for kids?

MentalUnrest

I have a Whites 6T and really like it. I have had it about a month and have really got used to it. I have 2 boys who are really anxious to get one as they have gone with me the majority of the time.

I am wanting to get them each one for Christmas and have done some research. It seems like the Garrett Ace 250 is the one I am liking the most, but this is all on paper. I can't afford to get them one like I have, but I do not want to get them something that is low end and a exercise in frustration.

What are your thoughts? They are both 10 and 11 and very responsible, so my decision will in no way be based on "they are not responsible enough" to get a decent detector.

Also, what are peoples thoughts on buying used? I have seen several on eBay that said they were only used once or twice and have money back guarantees. New 250s are about $215 and the used ones I am seeing are going for about $160-170. That's quite a bit of savings if if they have only been used a little bit and are good as new.

I bought my nephew an Ace 150 for Christmas and he used it only occasionally for about a month.

Sure glad I didn't purchase a more expensive model now.

The 250 is a highly regarded machine here on this forum. I would be wary of used machines, but if there is a good return policy it may be worth a shot. RickO

I have a Whites 6T and really like it. I have had it about a month and have really got used to it. I have 2 boys who are really anxious to get one as they have gone with me the majority of the time.

I am wanting to get them each one for Christmas and have done some research. It seems like the Garrett Ace 250 is the one I am liking the most, but this is all on paper. I can't afford to get them one like I have, but I do not want to get them something that is low end and a exercise in frustration.

What are your thoughts? They are both 10 and 11 and very responsible, so my decision will in no way be based on "they are not responsible enough" to get a decent detector.

Also, what are peoples thoughts on buying used? I have seen several on eBay that said they were only used once or twice and have money back guarantees. New 250s are about $215 and the used ones I am seeing are going for about $160-170. That's quite a bit of savings if if they have only been used a little bit and are good as new.

I would also like to toss the Bounty Hunter Tracker IV into the mix. It has been an excellent starter machine for me. It doesn't have all the visual displays as the ACE, but it hunts coins like crazy, has found numerous relics, and I have used it at the beach with great success. The discrimination and auto ground balancing work well. Plus they are about $100 cheaper than the ACE 250.

If you are unsure that they will stick with the hobby, maybe a cheapy from Harbor freight to test the waters. The high end verson sells for about $49 and doesn't have terrible reviews. It even has a pinpoint function.

http://metaldetectorreviews.net/detectors/65-1-tracker4.htmlBounty hunter reviews

http://www.harborfreight.com/9-function-metal-detector-67378.html Harbor Freight Link

CTKidd

Back
Top Bottom