Silver broach? Double silver hallmark?

dostoevsky

Hey mates...this is just one of my finds from a lumber ghost town along the Grand River near Grand Rapids, Michigan.

The broach has 2 markings on the back which unfortunately the picture doesn't show. 1 marking is readily discernible as 900. The other not so discernible marking appears to resemble 000 but the first "0" could be a "9" since the lower portion of this marking is worn down a little. I should probably take it to a jeweler or something but tell me what you think (i.e. why does it have two markings.)

qod3k5.jpg

30vyfir.jpg

qod3k5.jpg

2a4z5tw.jpg

33b3bbd.jpg

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
Pics are blurry <<<Deleted by Admin>>>.

Please curb your expletives or your posts will be summarily deleted instead of just edited.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pics are blurry <<<Deleted by Admin>>>.

Please curb your expletives or your posts will be summarily deleted instead of just edited.

I think what Mr. Squat meant to say was, firstly, welcome to the forums! It is hard to make out detail in the pictures but the brooch(?) is not unlike those I've seen sommeliers wearing. As for the bullet, I'm not sure.

Happy Hunting! :yes:

Yea, the original pictures were quite terrible; I didn't have a decent camera on hand when I took them. It probably would have made more sense to wait until I found a better camera initially. Anyway, I took them to one jeweler and they thought it was from the 18th century and that it was most likely made in Europe. 18th century sounds about right since the ghost town was apparently established around 1850. Stewart73, I've never heard the term sommelier before but now that I know what it means it sounds very plausible that they would wear an item such as this. Thanks for the welcome and feedback.

Nice find and welcome to the Forum!
PS: The new pictures are much better! Having a camera that takes decent close-ups makes all the difference in the world when you're photographing metal detecting finds.

Last edited:
Anyway, I took them to one jeweler and they thought it was from the 18th century and that it was most likely made in Europe. 18th century sounds about right since the ghost town was apparently established around 1850.

its a great piece but 18th century refers to the 1700's you must mean
19th century as it looks like a late victorian era design.

a sommelier is a wine steward who knows pretty much everything about wines. Normally found in fine dining establishments...

On a side note...what ghost town? i'm from wyoming/gr...live in the U.P. now

Stewart73, I've never heard the term sommelier before but now that I know what it means it sounds very plausible that they would wear an item such as this.

IMShooter, I'm going to politely plead the 5th to your inquiry about the location. ; )

there are many ghost towns it could be....

blendon, that john ball (same guy as john ball park zoo)
slocum's grove
and there are a few in Georgetown Township..aka Jenison (he actually had quite a large lumberyard) and Ketchum... oh..gotta love those jenison girls...blond hair, blue eyes...love the dutch christian reform girls..

900 stamped on silver (sometimes platinum is stamped 900 too) just means the % of silver..although it can't be called sterling because it's not .925..

found a similar brooch to yours on TIAS:

http://www.tias.com/9058/PictPage/1921697558.html

Back
Top Bottom