Found this rock. . .

CladKiller

I found this rock at the edge of a river, and it set my detector off. I wasn't convinced it was the rock setting it off, but after moving it several times and re-testing, still was setting the detector off. Not sure what this is - what kind of. I weighed it on my home scale and it was about 45 lbs (I took some pics next to Chewie so you can see the size of it ;) )

See pics below - any ideas or thoughts?
Thanks

Rock8-20-10038.jpg

Rock8-20-10041.jpg

Rock8-20-10040.jpg

Rock8-20-10043.jpg

Rock8-20-10037.jpg

Rock8-20-10035.jpg

The color says iron to me. There are rock faces where I live that look like someone tossed rust dust everywhere. The rocks are just weeping iron oxide as the water percolates through them. Lots of old mines in that area too.

Thanks, I just realized in my post I said it was "45 lbs" lol - meant to say 4-5 lbs. :roll:

I too would guess from the red color that the rock has a high iron ore content.

Looks pretty soft...

Probably a sedimentary rock like limestone that's either been exposed to water with a high iron content or might have iron oxide bands in it. My guess would from exposure.

Limestone is fairly porous so the water would soak in but the mineral content of the water wouldn't go as deep. I say give the turkey a hard whack with a hammer and see what the inside looks like. Either that or chip off a chunk that's red, drop it in some sulfuric or hydrochloric acid and see what happens. Limestone will fizzle and dissolve and if there's iron it will probably produce a black scum (ferric sulfide or ferric chloride depending on which acid used).

Umm...do this in a highly ventilated area since it's gonna give off hydrogen gas. You don't wanna be smoking.

Probably a sedimentary rock like limestone that's either been exposed to water with a high iron content or might have iron oxide bands in it. My guess would from exposure.

Limestone is fairly porous so the water would soak in but the mineral content of the water wouldn't go as deep. I say give the turkey a hard whack with a hammer and see what the inside looks like. Either that or chip off a chunk that's red, drop it in some sulfuric or hydrochloric acid and see what happens. Limestone will fizzle and dissolve and if there's iron it will probably produce a black scum (ferric sulfide or ferric chloride depending on which acid used).

Umm...do this in a highly ventilated area since it's gonna give off hydrogen gas. You don't wanna be smoking.

Neither the shape/rounding of the rock, nor the texture, look like what would be expected of most sedimentary rocks, and I'd bet you would get no reaction with an acid test. The shape/texture suggest it's igneous or possibly metamorphic. In either case, it could contain magnetite grains which would set off a detector. BTW, if it were a sedimentary carbonate such as limestone, a test with HCl would give off CO2, not hydrogen gas.

Neither the shape/rounding of the rock, nor the texture, look like what would be expected of most sedimentary rocks, and I'd bet you would get no reaction with an acid test. The shape/texture suggest it's igneous or possibly metamorphic. In either case, it could contain magnetite grains which would set off a detector. BTW, if it were a sedimentary carbonate such as limestone, a test with HCl would give off CO2, not hydrogen gas.

The shape and rounding of the rock is very typical of limestone that's been eithered carried by a glacier or moved along by the force of water. Tumbling and grinding will round them off quite nicely. Too, if you look at the pics you'll see "scuff" marks and pock marks which pretty much remove it from being igneous. Limestone is "notorious" for containing chert and quartz deposits and it's possible the reddish, smooth areas might well be chert with an iron content. As for being metamorphic...interrupted on its way to becoming marble? The scuffs and pock marks show that it's a fairly 'soft" rock.

I never said that the rock itself would emit hydrogen gas. Limestone would produce CO2, sure, but the iron content would produce the hydrogen gas when it reacted with the acid.

I am about as qualified to comment on this post as I am to fly the space shuttle, but I'd send the pictures to a geologist at a local university or something before I did anything to it, because if it did turn out to be a 4 to 5 lb meteorite it would be worth a lot more money in one piece. But like I said, I'm 100% ignorant on this subject.

So.. I did a search on the internet and found this thread. My search was Found a rock full of iron metal dectecting.. go figure.. it doesn't seem to be an uncommon find. Because of the thread it prompted me to join this forum. It has left me with questions also.. like what is a hot rock. I seen a responce someone saying take a magnet to it and see if if it sticks.. we tried this with the one we found.. and it does.. all over the rock. So I took two pictures of it one without the magnet and one with the magnet holding a piece of paper. We are new to this hobby and find it alot of fun. So maybe being prompted to join this forum will be quite useful. Note we found this rock on a beach along the Mississippi River in Iowa.. we acted the same when we found this rechecking it with the metal dector and quite stumped when we continued to get results from it. We have not tried the hammer ...... yet. :roll: :?: :)

Attachments

• resized 1.JPG
    resized 1.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 1,423
  • resized 2.JPG
    resized 2.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 1,221
The chewbacca is prob the best size reference item I have ever seen, but we need something next to him to know how big he is.

The chewbacca is prob the best size reference item I have ever seen, but we need something next to him to know how big he is.

According to Wookieepeedia Chewbacca is 2.28m or 7' 6" Pretty darn big rock there!

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Chewbacca

The Kenner action-figure of Chewbacca on the other hand would be able to stand on a quarter with the edges of his feet touching the edge of the quarter.

It looks igneous intrusive, probably has a lot of magnetite setting off your detector

I believe its a hydroglyphic, monolithic example of a ferret...., excuse me, ferrous sedentary craniorbus.

oswaldbates.jpg

Think we are going to find someone to look at it. It goes beyond a hobby and has become scientific with big words. :)

Back
Top Bottom