Amazing hacienda hunt

zeemang

Forum Supporter
Got out today with canadianguy to one of our new spots, the brush is starting to dry out here so it opens up lot of new spots for us. I figured if we hit one token (old hacienda tokens used at this particular hacienda) each it would be a great day. Tokens from this particular hacienda go for $150 each... I ended up with 5 and he got 3, amazing day!
HH all!

Attachments

• IMG-20170106-WA0011.jpg
    IMG-20170106-WA0011.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 432
  • IMG-20170106-WA0012.jpg
    IMG-20170106-WA0012.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 442
  • IMG-20170106-WA0010.jpg
    IMG-20170106-WA0010.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 424
That is amazing Zeemang. I see you're not worried about the cold weather lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Those are really neat and unique. What part of the world are you finding thses awesome relics?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I'm in the yucatan in mexico full time, canadianguy comes down to escape the cold canadian winters.
Thanks for the comments, these are sites that took a bunch of research and leg work to get permissions, paying off nicely...

procali, 3000 pesos or 150 U$ each, several strong local collectors. You can see why I am going after these...

You are Zeemang! Are those old Hacienda tokens made out of copper or brass?

Very cool post and pics! Thank you! Keep them coming please!
Mud

Great finds, what were those tokens used for? With the hole on top I would have assumed they would have been a tag of some type.

Buena cacería de reliquias Zeemang!
Looking at those tokens ,they had me intrigued ... " Good for 1000 Pencas"
In Mexico they name Pencas for Vegetables I guess. The farmers became
these tokens in spite of money :roll: for delivering their harvest ?
I would estimate ,these tokens are from the early 1900 ...?

These tokens were used to pay the workers according the the work done and then they could take them to the company store and exchange them for goods. The ones from this hacienda are aluminum, but from other haciendas they were made from copper, bronze or even nickel.
The big business here turn of the century was henequen/sisal production, they made rope and bags out of it like burlap. Think of that scratchy brown rope used to tie bales of hay together.
A penca is one spikey branch from the plant, so if someone cut and delivered 500 of them the production plant gave them a token for 500 pencas, and so on based on what they did for the day.
Paying workers with tokens was outlawed in 1913, so i know they are pre 1913 but other than that these do not have a date on them.
HH all, i will try to be posting more hunts this year, i slacked off last year with posting...

Back
Top Bottom