Harbor Freight Pin Pointer

Yes, it's the best you can get, without spending over $125. Might not be the perfect tool out of the box, but very cheap and easy to personalize. I changed out the push button, and the beeper, with a rocker switch, and a pager motor. Also made a small internal adjustment.

It's really nothing fancy, not a real sturdy case, but it does the job well. Should be a lot of negative comments, and a push toward the more expensive pinpointers, to follow. It's really person preference, and what you feel comfortable spending. I fell for the hype, spent the $127.50, got a nice tool, but really more expense, for the function. The HF is pretty good for the price, and will do the job, just not as cool or flashy.

Many folks on the forum have the HF pinpointer. It does the job for me. Granted, it's the only one I've used. You can't beat the price. The only shortcoming I'm aware of is the quality of the pushbutton. I replaced it and put in a vibrator from an old cellphone and a toggle switch to change from beeping to vibrating. You can use the search function for posts on this. HH

I have the HF pin pointer, and the Fisher Fpoint. The HF one detects a lot better and deeper than the fisher. I let the kids play with the fisher, and I use the HF one.

Yes, it's the best you can get, without spending over $125. Might not be the perfect tool out of the box, but very cheap and easy to personalize. I changed out the push button, and the beeper, with a rocker switch, and a pager motor. Also made a small internal adjustment.

It's really nothing fancy, not a real sturdy case, but it does the job well. Should be a lot of negative comments, and a push toward the more expensive pinpointers, to follow. It's really person preference, and what you feel comfortable spending. I fell for the hype, spent the $127.50, got a nice tool, but really more expense, for the function. The HF is pretty good for the price, and will do the job, just not as cool or flashy.

Had the HF and it fell apart after 3 months. I dig in gravel-like soil and some dirt that's as hard as concrete which this PP couldn't handle. I'm on my second Garrett PP that I got for free after the first one was sent in for repairs, and it works great, and can take the rough ground it's shoved into. Cheap isn't always a best option if it can't handle the individual situations that each of us experience. Sometimes personal preference is dictated by surroundings. Did I like paying $127 for a little PP? Hell no. Am I glad I did? Absolutely. It's not always "hype" when there's actual field testing done to determine which works better in certain situations.

I've used mine for about 9 months now, and won't hunt without it! Until I get the PROPOINTER!!! Tuesday I'm going order the garrett. Then I'll compare the to? Sure the propointer will out perform the HF? I'll will keep the HF for a back up (CAN'T GO WRONG WITH THE HF) for the money!!! I didn't have to, but I changed the ON/OFF switch, couple bucks and about 10 mins. Hope this helps ya. HH

I love it mine has been used alot(i mean alot) without much particular concern for its safety--I also switched the button to a toggle switch 1st day-but ine has been a ball of mud a snowball dropped2x in water(which i wldnt recomend) and still works like new!!--one draw back --long probe reads the entire shaft--may confuse where target is in a deep hole-good with practice!!and yes will read gold as metal--

Have one as a backup

I have one as a backup. It was my original pp and it works great for what you pay. I did the rocker switch and motor upgrade. Luckily, I scored a brand new pro pointer for $65 on Craigslist. I now see why everyone likes that one so much. It is a VERY nice tool and has sped up my recovery time.

I've had mine for 2 years now and it's been fine. I could buy 10 of these for what I'd have to pay for ONE Propointer. It's not as sturdy as a Propointer, but it works! Just remember, it was not intended to be used as a shovel, treat it right and it will treat you right.

Had the HF and it fell apart after 3 months. I dig in gravel-like soil and some dirt that's as hard as concrete which this PP couldn't handle. I'm on my second Garrett PP that I got for free after the first one was sent in for repairs, and it works great, and can take the rough ground it's shoved into. Cheap isn't always a best option if it can't handle the individual situations that each of us experience. Sometimes personal preference is dictated by surroundings. Did I like paying $127 for a little PP? Hell no. Am I glad I did? Absolutely. It's not always "hype" when there's actual field testing done to determine which works better in certain situations.

I've only tried to make the point, that for $17 dollars, or less, you can still get a decent pinpointer. Will it compete or measure up to a $127.50 Propointer? You've got to be kidding with me...

Shoving the Propointer in the ground? I don't do that here, and the soil is pretty much the same as beach sand, soft and loose. Then again, I don't use my best screwdrivers to pop open paint cans either...

Never claimed the HF was the best tool on the planet. It is quite affordable, and does a fair job. It's much better than feeling around in the dirt with your fingers, hoping there isn't something sharp waiting to bite you. For $17, it's a very useful tool, decent backup, if you really need something more. Had my Propointer for a little over 7 months, and it's really behaving badly, needs to be treated to some of that great customer service. I don't throw, drop, or drive it in the ground like a tent stake. Rarely even push dirt around with it, and dirt here, is loose sand. Really no reason for it to be failing. Disappointing, but no big deal, still got the HF to fall back on, for the week or so I'll have to wait for repair or replacement.

I have 2 of them. Compared to hunting without one it is awesome. I couldn't really afford the Garrett so I bought a centech to get me by til I could save enough for a good one. I'm happy enough that I have no plans for a Garrett now. I bought another centech just in case...but haven't needed it. I am going to buy another one and do the mods and give it to my grandpa as a gift. No complaints from me.

I had a centech for about 8 months, beat the hell out of it. I put a new switch in like mentioned above. In my opinion it performed WELL above its 17$ price tag.
I lost it on a winter hunt involving snow and several stream crossings, with no hope of finding it, and then stumbled across a great deal on a Garrett propointer which I jumped on, but I can guarantee you I will be buying another Centech as a backup and for my kids.

Back
Top Bottom