quick question

YES :grin:

I wouldn't have thought so but I love mine. It saves you from digging when your target is right on the top or very close, it also helps you to find your target before you decide to get a track hoe after it!

Surejam

I saw it used. They were able to tell if the find was still in the hole or in the plug they just dug. Made things faster and more convenient than to stand back up and run your md back over just to have to get down back again to collect the find.

Do yourself a favor, grab a Centech from HF, cost under $15, and I think you'll find it indispensable. The problem may be getting the switch muddy- I replaced mine with a switch from the Shack and sealed it. You can always upgrade to a Garrett or buy one of those outright. Either way it's a must have.

I could not live without mine. Seriously. Has cut my time down trying to locate a coin by at least 75%.

Pinpointers

Quick Answer: YES, and Terry that was Mean,,,LOL. Long Answer: A MD finds you the targets, the MDs pinpoint function Narrows the target area down (some better than others), Then a Pinpointer narrows it down even closer! Other than locating the target in the ground or in the dug pile of soil They can also be used to size targets in the ground! Coins and rings pinpoint almost exact and very tight! Caps, Canslaw, cans, and scrap can pinpoint from a bit wider circle to several inches in any direction! Like everything, you have exceptions (Bracelets & Necklaces). Nothing lowers the value of a target faster than a big Scarf gouged into it!!! GL & HH......Pat

After the conversation I just had about pin pointers... :laughing:

Some say they are a great addition to equipment.
I have one that I made out of a stud finder, it seems to work for me.

They range in prices, some cheap, like the HF one for 16 and some over 100.

The cheaper ones really seem to be for closer items, such as 2 - 4 inches away from the tip, where as the more expensive ones can hit 6 inches or more.

Some are more sturdy than others, some have good warranties, etc

I guess all in all, if you were to get one, I would get a HF one to see if it helps you at all, and if it does and its fine, keep it. If you want to upgrade for something better, you can always do that as well.

One thing that really slows me down when using mine, is that I don't have a carrying case or sheath or anything for mine, so it is in my bag, which really takes time to get it out and use it. So if you get one, make sure you have something that makes using it easy, instead of a hassle to get it and use it.

I saw it used. They were able to tell if the find was still in the hole or in the plug they just dug. Made things faster and more convenient than to stand back up and run your md back over just to have to get down back again to collect the find.

Why would you "stand back up?" I have the machine beside me, headphones still on my head, if I don't see it in the hole or plug, I just picck up the detector (still on one knee) and scan the plug. Not there? Then it's still in the hole. Scoop handfull of dirt, run it over the coil, Bingo!

HELL YEAH IT DOES!!! ITS A LIFE SAVER!!! I Love Mine!

Quick Answer: YES, and Terry that was Mean,,,LOL. Long Answer: A MD finds you the targets, the MDs pinpoint function Narrows the target area down (some better than others), Then a Pinpointer narrows it down even closer! Other than locating the target in the ground or in the dug pile of soil They can also be used to size targets in the ground! Coins and rings pinpoint almost exact and very tight! Caps, Canslaw, cans, and scrap can pinpoint from a bit wider circle to several inches in any direction! Like everything, you have exceptions (Bracelets & Necklaces). Nothing lowers the value of a target faster than a big Scarf gouged into it!!! GL & HH......Pat

I'm not being mean at all - really! I see NO reason for a handheld pinpointer 99-percent of the time, and the one-percent of target recoveries that do frustrate me do not justify a $75 - $160 purchase, that is just going to be one more thing I have to carry around.

Folks, this is just MY opinion, not the word of god. If something is working for YOU - that is all that matters. :cool:

Great thing about a pinpointer, it reduces the amount of contact you have with the dirt, and nasty, sharp, hidden things you will frequently encounter. Your detector won't tell you about pieces of broken beer bottle, or if that 'quarter', is really a razor blade. Sure, gloves can protect you from most of the worst stuff, but you loose some sensitivity and flexibility, not to mention the get hot and sweating in the Florida sun. Pretty much the main reason why I use one. I'm just out for a little fun and adventure, not into competition, no expectations of getting rich. I'm debt free, so no pressure to be productive or efficient, get plenty of that in my life, at work, which pays for all my toys and gadgets. Hobbies are suppose to be fun and relaxing. Sports are exciting, and painful, stressful, the need to exceed your limits...

Back
Top Bottom