Separate Relics and Coins?

Charlives

Elite Member
Would it be a good idea to give coins their own forum area and merge relics with cashe/bottles? There are so many great finds that nothing stays on the front page for more than a few hours.

Carol and Vlad like a small compact forum so I doubt they would add another subforum... we have Stories and Pictures of Finds plus the Coinshooters and Relic section...

Carol and Vlad like a small compact forum so I doubt they would add another subforum... we have Stories and Pictures of Finds plus the Coinshooters and Relic section...
Understandable, but I'm not suggesting adding another sub forum, I'm suggesting moving coins out by itself and move cashe/bottles into relics. Would be the same number of sub forums. What do you think?

I too think that makes sense. Personally I would break them into two and kill the stories forum, and have all the posts from it absorbed into the new coins and relics forums, with the rest no doubt going to the Eye popping finds one. The way things stand right now there's basically two spots for new posts (Coins and Relics & Stories) and for lack of a better word it's a bit of a mess. I don't usually like suggesting things like this because I sure wouldn't want to put in the effort to change them, but I think it would be better so I'll say it.

So I would change to this...

Coins forum

Relics forum (maybe with cache and bottles as suggested)

Eye Popping finds and Stories Forum. (They're for the most part the same anyway)

If possible I would simply move all Stories forum posts under the Eye Popping category, Change the Coins and Relics to just coins and leave the posts as is, then add a Relics forum. :tiphat:

I think that works better and is actually more compact than right now. I should also say I'm a big fan of being compact, and my Treasure Net page has about the same number of forums as this site because I have 90% of it blocked. I'm also a person who constantly thinks about simpler and better ways to do things.

I too think that makes sense. Personally I would break them into two and kill the stories forum, and have all the posts from it absorbed into the new coins and relics forum, with the rest no doubt going to the Eye popping finds one. The way things stand right now there's basically two spots for new posts (Coins and Relics & Stories) and for lack of a better word it's a bit of a mess. I don't usually like suggesting things like this because I sure wouldn't want to put in the effort to change them, but I think it would be better so I'll say it.

So I would change to this...

Coins forum

Relics forum (maybe with cache and bottles as suggested)

Eye Popping finds and Stories Forum. (They're for the most part the same anyway)

If possible I would simply move all Stories forum posts under the Eye Popping category, Change the Coins and Relics to just coins and leave the posts as is, then add a Relics forum. :tiphat:

I think that works better and is actually more compact than right now. I should also say I'm a big fan of being compact, and my Treasure Net page has about the same number of forums as this site because I have 90% of it blocked. I'm also a person who constantly thinks about simpler and better ways to do things.

Exactly, this is even better.

I think both are excellent ideas and would greatly improve the friendly forum.

Coins and Relics is together, because generally when you hunt for coins you also find relics, or visa versa. So, if we seperated them, then members would have to post their coins in one forum, and their relics in another, which would be kind of a hassle.

Since the Friendly forum is geared to helping newbies, they mostly post in Stories and Pictures of Finds because they haven't yet determined whether they are coinshooters or beach hunters.

Coinshooters and beach hunters are separate forums geared to the more advanced detectorist, who has already figured out what kind of hunting they enjoy.

Cache and Treasure Hunting started out being a spot for nugget hunters, but we don't seem to have many of them, so we expanded it to include other types of treasure hunting. It's also a catch-all for interesting news articles about caches, or antiquities being found, pirates and shipwrecks etc.

We can't seem to make everybody happy, even though we've tried. The forum is what it is, and it makes us unique from the all the other metal detecting forums out there. :D

I agree that most coinshooters find relics along with...Most that post in the coinshooter section are the old coin and relic hunters, wherever on land we may go to find them, you find one, you're also finding the other. That might be a good name for our subforum, 'Classic Coin and Relic Hunters'...It describes my style of hunting well...I also have noticed most of the clad/jewelry hunters post in the stories and finds section. Perhaps that subforum could be renamed to reflect this...The beach hunters have their world, the newbies find their niche with time, and CM annoys most of us:laughing:...

I was always a little confused by the coin/relic sub forum and the stories and pictures of finds. I post in the coin/relic forum though, mostly because that's where I always post.

I always thought the stories and pics of finds subforum was for people who like to write more with pictures along with them. I find that a lot of the more advanced guys post there too, like Goes4Ever when he's not finding something eye popping or mindblowing which is rare.

"Coins and Relics is together, because generally when you hunt for coins you also find relics, or visa versa. So, if we seperated them, then members would have to post their coins in one forum, and their relics in another, which would be kind of a hassle."

When you find coins you find just about everything else so to argue that point, you're probably arguing in favor of a general finds forum. What you're not considering is there's less flow to forums when they are so general, and if deciding on whether to post your day's finds on a relics or coins forum I'd say that's less choices than what is happening right now. I personally believe people learn much more when a forum has some consistency but maybe that's not high on the list for the website objectives. All that said, I think your point is a good one and more thought would be needed, but given I don't see any possibility of change I save what brain cells I didn't burn out in my 20s. :yes:

"Since the Friendly forum is geared to helping newbies, they mostly post in Stories and Pictures of Finds because they haven't yet determined whether they are coinshooters or beach hunters."

I guess I should have read this before posting my last message because it's now very clear you see this place more in a sense of hobby and fun than a place to learn about the specifics of what we find and conversations dedicated to them. Fair enough! :waytogo:

"Coinshooters and beach hunters are separate forums geared to the more advanced detectorist, who has already figured out what kind of hunting they enjoy."

Agree, no reason not to be separate as most people associate beach hunting with finding jewelry.

"Cache and Treasure Hunting started out being a spot for nugget hunters, but we don't seem to have many of them, so we expanded it to include other types of treasure hunting. It's also a catch-all for interesting news articles about caches, or antiquities being found, pirates and shipwrecks etc."

Makes sense!

"We can't seem to make everybody happy, even though we've tried. The forum is what it is, and it makes us unique from the all the other metal detecting forums out there. :D

Very true, and being geared towards the newbies in the hobby I don't see any reason for change either. Plus, regardless of how much better switching a few things might make this place there's no question there'd always be some who didn't like change and who wants to listen to them complain.

Anyway, Charlives, I still agree with you, but what can ya do! If I had a site I'd probably be the type to keep making changes for the better, or at least thinking that... and God I hate people that do that at the forums I post/use. :yes: Funny thing is I'm very resistant at first, but once I give it a chance I realize it was not such a bad idea. Ebay is a good example of that because I thought some of the things they've done over the years were ruining the site, but as time went on it worked better than I thought. One was taking away the buyer's ability to leave negative feedback.... ended up not near as bad as I expected.

I normally dig everything, so I don't know what all I'm going to have at the end of the day. Sometimes there are some interesting older coins, strange metal objects, bullets. Have been trying to post it all as well, including the trash items. Think I'd lose interest in posting, if I had to separate everything into specific categories, or distinguish between trash and relics.

For the past month, with the new machine, I've been mostly focused on silver coins, no luck, but lots of rusty iron, few more coins. Pretty much believe if there is silver, it's still much deeper.

I normally dig everything, so I don't know what all I'm going to have at the end of the day. Sometimes there are some interesting older coins, strange metal objects, bullets. Have been trying to post it all as well, including the trash items. Think I'd lose interest in posting, if I had to separate everything into specific categories, or distinguish between trash and relics.

For the past month, with the new machine, I've been mostly focused on silver coins, no luck, but lots of rusty iron, few more coins. Pretty much believe if there is silver, it's still much deeper.

Separating everything from a hunt is most definitely not what we're implying, although it wouldn't be a bad idea if someone dug both a killer coin and relic on the same day, but that doesn't happen too often.

I find that relic hunters will hang out in the relic forum, and the coin guy will post in the coins forum.

Personally I would rather be a relic hunter primarily, but due to living in the city with no car, I mainly hunt parks with old coins and relics are few and far between, although a welcome sight.

I feel having a separate relic forum may help those guys get more credit because most coin shooters only click on threads with "silver" in the title line causing the relic threads to get pushed down by all the etrac users posting threads with "silver" in the title. :D

most coin shooters only click on threads with "silver" in the title line causing the relic threads to get pushed down by all the etrac users posting threads with "silver" in the title

Okay I see. But It still wouldn't do any good just making a coin forum, because all the silver would still float to the top and all the wheaties threads would sink. ;)

The only thing I can suggest is to set your forum viewing to show just Today's threads, This weeks threads, 2 weeks threads, etc. There's tons of options.

The Options are in your usercp under "Edit Options"

Number of Posts to Show Per Page
Use this option to set the number of posts to show in a thread before splitting the display into multiple pages.
Number of Posts to Show Per Page:....

Default Thread Age Cut Off
You may specify a time period from which to display threads. Threads older than the age you specify will not be shown.
Default Thread Age Cut ....

Try it and see if it helps.

Also, you can also scroll to the bottom, and on the left choose a different template in the dropdown, if you get tired of mdgreen. :grin:

its easy really.If you know what you found and just want to show it off wether it be coin or artifact then Stories and Pictures is the forum.If you dont know what it is the Help to ID is the forum,also coin or artifact

Back
Top Bottom