• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Local High School, first time there...

pacer

Fellow RPDC member Mike suggested we detect our local high school. This was my first time there. The snow had melted and it seemed like a good idea. Although, the snow was gone, the sod was super saturated and squished under our feet as we walked. My knees were soaked, along with the toes of my boots. My gloves needed to be wrung out as they were completely saturated also. The weather was pretty good for the middle of January and the school didn't disappoint. I found 42 coins and a little piece of bling. While retrieving a coin, I came upon a piece of glass that ended up sticking into my glove. Lucky for me, I was wearing gloves, as I always do. Good lesson for those who don't wear gloves.

Attachments

• pointing the way.jpg
    pointing the way.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 729
  • logo 2.jpg
    logo 2.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 683
  • name.jpg
    name.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 730
  • coins.jpg
    coins.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 683
  • glass.jpg
    glass.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 703
Last edited:
Glad to hear that you were able to get out and detect. Here in northwest Ohio the ground is frozen solid. With nighttime lows in the negative digits it'll be a while before we're able to get out.

Thank you for the reminder of wearing gloves. This past fall I pulled a handful of sand out of my hole only to find that my signal was a broadhead from an arrow.

Cool post and pics, I just started using gloves again due to almost having a glass shard in my finger. :yes:

gloves

Fellow RPDC member Mike suggested we detect our local high school. This was my first time there. The snow had melted and it seemed like a good idea. Although, the snow was gone, the sod was super saturated and squished under our feet as we walked. My knees were soaked, along with the toes of my boots. My gloves needed to be wrung out as they were completely saturated also. The weather was pretty good for the middle of January and the school didn't disappoint. I found 42 coins and a little piece of bling. While retrieving a coin, I came upon a piece of glass that ended up sticking into my glove. Lucky for me, I was wearing gloves, as I always do. Good lesson for those who don't wear gloves.

Excellent reminder for the new hunters!!! You just never know whats in the dirt.
I have been surprised by glass, razor blades, random jagged metals, even sharp arrow heads.....Ive even dug numerous live rounds from 12ga, 22s, and a 45 cal a few months ago.
But probably my closest "thank god" moment was the surface penny signal and I non shallotly reached into the grass and felt around and felt my middle finger swipe across something sharp.....to my amazement it was a hunting arrow. I even had the benefit of having Kevlar coated gloves on and the blade still managed to slice a bit of the glove !!! I hate to think what a bare finger would have looked like .:shock:

So , yeah....Its worth dropping a couple bucks on some gloves guys.

Attachments

• arrow.jpg
    arrow.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 658
I did not use to wear gloves when I first started back in the 80's. But anymore I always wear gloves. With the newer style gloves that are out now days, they are not so bulky and are a real pleasure to wear so it just makes sense to wear gloves.

pacer
I can't believe that you guys hit the whole school, are you guys going back to HS for some more?

Ray

I did not use to wear gloves when I first started back in the 80's. But anymore I always wear gloves. With the newer style gloves that are out now days, they are not so bulky and are a real pleasure to wear so it just makes sense to wear gloves.

pacer
I can't believe that you guys hit the whole school, are you guys going back to HS for some more?

Ray

Didn't detect the entire school. Spent a couple of hours detecting and will be going back again.

Good thing you wear gloves! High schools can be good hunting. I found a 1911 Canadian half at one and a modern silver ring at a local one, of course lots of clad too.Happy hunting.

pacer

Ray

Since I've been a mechanic most all of my life, in the later years they came out with gloves just for mechanics. I like the ones with the supple rubber palm and the thin stretch cloth on the back. They can be had for less than five dollars at most auto parts stores. They are thin enough to work the controls no an AT Max and you don't have to scrub your hands so hard when you go for lunch.

Gloves have never been needed here. My Sampson 31" digger gets the target above ground and in plain sight before grabbing it. jm2c

Since I've been a mechanic most all of my life, in the later years they came out with gloves just for mechanics. I like the ones with the supple rubber palm and the thin stretch cloth on the back. They can be had for less than five dollars at most auto parts stores. They are thin enough to work the controls no an AT Max and you don't have to scrub your hands so hard when you go for lunch.

I have those type of gloves too, completely changed my opinion of gloves. I use them all the time for work around the house and yard now too and of course working on the car or bike. Nothing like doing a brake job then taking off the gloves and having clean hands.
Just have to remember to take some out detecting with me now.

Back
Top Bottom