EROSION eats car, closes parking lot, too deep for my scoop

WaterWalker

Here on the Cape, we don't need 35' waves. High tides and a nights rain and this happened.
The beach is eroding away; 1844 to 2009 Erosion on the Atlantic averages 2.9 ft. /year2.9 feet per YEAR! Just too bad we can not detect the area as it is part of the National Seashore, so don't pack you bags and come this way. NO DETECTING ON THE NSS BEACHES. There are other beaches but they don't see quite the erosion the NSS beaches do.

Attachments

• beachcomber.jpg
    beachcomber.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 714
  • shoeline.jpg
    shoeline.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 653
IF..

or when I am called to search the NSS, I first, or have the person, contact the Rangers. They have confiscated detectors and will help or they will ask to meet them to help in the search. All at the Rangers request. Out to find the one item, leaving all other targets, leaving when told or immediately upon finding the one item being searched for a ring, keys, whatever. There are many ways to help.

or when I am called to search the NSS, I first, or have the person, contact the Rangers. They have confiscated detectors and will help or they will ask to meet them to help in the search. All at the Rangers request. Out to find the one item, leaving all other targets, leaving when told or immediately upon finding the one item being searched for a ring, keys, whatever. There are many ways to help.

I have no doubt that if any md'rs "call NSS to ask", then .... sure , they will regale you with stories of "confiscated detectors". But .... oddly .... whenever you go to try to find any such stories (eg.: links of actual occurrences) sometimes you just hear the sound of crickets. Or you find out that it's someone being obnoxious that can't take a warning, or sneaking obvious sensitive monuments, etc......

And I have no doubt that they would regale you with detailed steps of "how they must accompany you ", blah blah.

But to use GGNRA here as an example (who administers a few beaches in the SF area) : So too do "rumors float" or "horrors that will befall you ". Yet .... whenever you ask around for accounts of these horrors, only a few "scrams" come to mind in the collective memory/history of the CA hunters in that area.

And one time, a friend of mine answered a desperate plea for a "long ring on the beach". He agreed to help the gal, and began communicating to her, to know what beach, where, etc.... And ... you guessed it, it turned out to be one of the GGNRA beaches. Hmmm, what to do, what to do.

He toyed with contacting the rangers, seeing if/how he could help her, etc... But in the end, he decided to simply print out the L&F ad she'd run on CL, and carry it with him if questioned. No one ever said so much as "boo" to him, and he found the ring (after making very very wide search patterns around the suspected zone "just to be sure of coverage", doh ~ !)

So does that just cover the beach (sand) Can you hunt off shore.."To the MHW Out"

Mean High Water (MHW) is the average of all the high water heights observed over a period of several years. For example, in the United States this period spans 19 years and is referred to as the National Tidal Datum Epoch.

I know we have a area In Maryland the same but I stay far away, that and Historical area's.

Assateague Island National Seashore, Many ship wrecks ..:no:

The Maryland Submerged Archaeological Historical Property Act, passed in 1988, makes it illegal to dig historic objects from beneath state waters except under certain narrowly prescribed conditions. It protects anything below the mean high-water mark.

That's must be MudPuppies car ! Did he make it out I wonder ?

Assateague Island National Seashore, Many ship wrecks ..:no:

We camped there for a week a last year as we made our way down the coast. Beautiful area, but yeah, the machine stayed packed away all along the NSS and historic areas.

I have no doubt that if any md'rs "call NSS to ask", then .... sure , they will regale you with stories of "confiscated detectors". But .... oddly .... whenever you go to try to find any such stories (eg.: links of actual occurrences) sometimes you just hear the sound of crickets. Or you find out that it's someone being obnoxious that can't take a warning, or sneaking obvious sensitive monuments, etc......

And I have no doubt that they would regale you with detailed steps of "how they must accompany you ", blah blah.

But to use GGNRA here as an example (who administers a few beaches in the SF area) : So too do "rumors float" or "horrors that will befall you ". Yet .... whenever you ask around for accounts of these horrors, only a few "scrams" come to mind in the collective memory/history of the CA hunters in that area.

And one time, a friend of mine answered a desperate plea for a "long ring on the beach". He agreed to help the gal, and began communicating to her, to know what beach, where, etc.... And ... you guessed it, it turned out to be one of the GGNRA beaches. Hmmm, what to do, what to do.

He toyed with contacting the rangers, seeing if/how he could help her, etc... But in the end, he decided to simply print out the L&F ad she'd run on CL, and carry it with him if questioned. No one ever said so much as "boo" to him, and he found the ring (after making very very wide search patterns around the suspected zone "just to be sure of coverage", doh ~ !)

Tom... its off limits to detecting.. everyone knows that who visits the cape... there are signs clearly stating it. As to someone losing wedding band there... highly unlikely in all the years I have gone by it no one was seen on those beaches by me...

Here a detector was confiscated.. I brought this up years ago to show you.. guess you forget again.

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=14732

Sure. And don't you remember my comments on that ? Read the OP's story again and see (you will concur) : The dude practically had to waive red-banners, advertising his "horrible misdeed", to bring that upon himself. Eg.: Alerting media, opening a public display , shouting to the public - essentially - the origin of his finds, etc....

Might as well wear neon yellow at an archie convention and go waltzing over beach blankets with your metal detector.

When I have mused my wonderings about "the preponderance of confiscations" (a fear we are supposed to have) in the past, I have sometimes foot-noted it with : ".... barring those who .... with an ounce of common sense ... could have avoided trouble or known what-not-to do". And this link falls into that category. Ie.: with an ounce of common sense, he would not have been in that predicament.

Sure. And don't you remember my comments on that ? Read the OP's story again and see (you will concur) : The dude practically had to waive red-banners, advertising his "horrible misdeed", to bring that upon himself. Eg.: Alerting media, opening a public display , shouting to the public - essentially - the origin of his finds, etc....

Might as well wear neon yellow at an archie convention and go waltzing over beach blankets with your metal detector.

When I have mused my wonderings about "the preponderance of confiscations" (a fear we are supposed to have) in the past, I have sometimes foot-noted it with : ".... barring those who .... with an ounce of common sense ... could have avoided trouble or known what-not-to do". And this link falls into that category. Ie.: with an ounce of common sense, he would not have been in that predicament.

I don't have to read it again... I remember he saying he thought he would get his detector back and he didn't because he broke the law.. he said in the garage of the rangers station that had a wall with several detectors..

CC NSS is only used by seagulls.. I go every year to the cape or try to... a few years ago they tried banning detecting from beaches on the cape.. I know I got kicked off. Happened to me in Mashpee.. no big deal at the time..

DRONE found Again? Update

Thanks Cmfct for jogging my memory.

I believe I had met BlackSamBellamy may years ago. Anyway...
Here we are some 11 years later and while looking over notes, for those who are interested in the Drone and the Base, The NPS has a page devoted to another (?) Drone found two years ago...

https://www.fs.fed.us/inside-fs/out-and-about/entomologist-uncovers-wwii-drone-cape-cod-woods

and BSB's website: http://www.campwellfleet.com

The difference between a metal detectorist and an Entomologist finding a Drone.

The original thread:
https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=14732

Sounds much like this in the Bay many years ago...Maryland Submerged Archaeological Historical Property Act, passed in 1988

Everyone here though you could detect anyplace in the water..."NOT", now the stuff just sets in the water fading away. Locked them up, took everything..

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs-xpm-1995-03-11-1995070092-story.html

One of the best swim beach's in the Bay is off limits because of the war of 1812,....... the British landed on shore there..Close as you can get is about 800 foot off shore and then your pushing your luck.

Attachments

• 51427864_10213453234111901_5791196583232012288_n.jpg
    51427864_10213453234111901_5791196583232012288_n.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 420
I always liked the fact one could only dig with a screwdriver, 12" long and remove five, 5 pound artifacts (gold objects I would hope) that are visible only once. Is that once in a hour, day, year or lifetime. I do hope the enactment has been clarified since 1995.

The picture is great but for a crowed beach at Coney Island back in the early 1920s.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 388
.......Maryland Submerged Archaeological Historical Property Act, passed in 1988.....

Durned them archies ! Right ? But .... I wonder what put it on their plate , to think about and legislate this, in the first place ?

Like ....: Was one of them archies walking down the beach in 1987, and just happen-chanced to see an md'r ? And thinks "Oh me oh my, we must make a law to stop this horrible activity " ? Or ..... ? :?:

I keep waiting on Tom to tell us a personal story how he has detected on a National Something despite it being clearly posted. Or do you just encourage others to do things that you don't do?

(and Tom, you know danged well that getting caught detecting and having equipment confiscated or catching a fine is rarely on the news level that would make it Headline News. THATS why theres more personal experiences cited than news links. + you seem to have forgotten the news story where a couple of guys got federal jail time for hunting southeast TN civil war sites a few years back. I linked you that story at the time)

.... Or do you just encourage others to do things that you don't do?....

K-in-TN, aside from the "locker-room" talk, you will see that what I am MOST HARPING ON, is the ORIGIN of such laws. And I am convinced that most of them, got on the plate-of-thought by powers-that-be, d/t skittish md'rs waltzing in and swatting hornet's nests. Thus rules/laws born "to address the pressing issue" on their plate.

So I can see how you would see how the notion of "not asking" (and , instead, looking-it-up for oneself), might SEEM like promoting lawlessness. And yes, I confess to locker room talk BTW.

But you will also see that I have repeatedly said that, once a law exists, then .... by all means, obey the laws. But am just trying to point out that it is often we md'rs ourselves, that brought these upon ourselves. And encouraging people to look up the laws/rules for themselves, be-low-profile (so as not to elicit busy-body lookie-lous), etc.... That is not the same as encouraging people to break laws. It's more along the lines of encouraging people to look up for themselves. And to recognize how those laws, that they lament, got started in the first place.

(but yes, I confess to locker room talk on occasion).

.... you know danged well that getting caught detecting and having equipment confiscated or catching a fine is rarely on the news level that would make it Headline News. THATS why theres more personal experiences cited than news links.

Whenever someone tosses out the supposed imminent threat of "confiscations", "Jail", "fines", etc....., You are right : I have often asked for examples. And , as you can probably agree, very few are forthcoming. Plenty of "scrams", but ..... very very few examples of "fines" and "confiscations".

And whenever any ARE forthcoming (perhaps the one you allude to), it's invariably someone night-sneaking an obvious historic sensitive monument, or someone being obstinate who can't take a warning.

And Yes: I've heard your pushback before that goes along these lines:

"There are many more instances of fines and jail and confiscations. But .... shucks .... those persons are just too embarrassed & ashamed to answer and admit to it. And/or it's not newsworthy enough to be in the police-blotter news. Thus .... examples won't be forthcoming. But rest assured, it's happening all the time "

To which I say : That's a pretty convenient push-back to answer the lack-of-examples. It's bullet proof. Like saying : Leprechauns most assuredly exist under your bed. But they run and hide whenever you look underneath there. So you simply don't see them. But rest assured, they exist. Eh ?

Back
Top Bottom