Nags Head

dewcon

Quality Control Expert
I may be heading to Nags Head, NC for a few days hunting and vacation. I know part of it is National Seashore so no hunting...... but Nags Head its self doesnt appear to be. I assume you CAN hunt at Nags Head?

Connie wants to see those wild horses so im trying to convince her we need to take the Jeep for some four wheeling....... thats not going to well.:laughing: Id have to buy her a pillow for the long trip. Now if i can just figure out how to take the detector in the Jeep without having it sticking in our face the whole trip i might just win the Jeep ride.

Oooo if you have tips on great hole in the wall places to eat PM me as well as motels....... its going to be a wing-it trip.

Dew

What no comments....... no one goes there? Im more interest in what to see and do. Not to worry about hunting..... ill find those on a walk about.

Thanks..... im hoping fishing means sea food. Hoping the weather is good so she can set on the beach. Rain or shine im hunting.

Oooo if you have tips on great hole in the wall places to eat PM me as well as motels....... its going to be a wing-it trip.
Dew

I was in Nags Head last month. We stayed for a week at the Islander Motel which is a nice, surprisingly clean, little known family owned place. Great price and right on the ocean. Almost across the street within walking distance is a very good hole-in-the-wall restaurant called Sam & Omie's. Won't break your budget and excellent food. I liked both because we could come in off Hwy 64 and not have to mess with the traffic coming down 158 across the Wright Memorial Bridge. Traffic is always a nightmare coming from the North on weekends, although, Summer is basically over, it may not be so bad. I hunted both Dry Sand and waded Waist to Chest Deep but not much luck down that way. Lots of Clad, 20+ Tent Stakes, Bottle Caps out the Wazoo, Fireworks (Sparklers) Residue everywhere, lots of rusty nails and rusty fence wire (from the "Keep off the Dunes" fences). 1 piece of Bling. Used the AT Pro, Makro Racer, and Infinium. Love OBX. GL.

index_r2_c10.gif

0775b0_c5b61263b858a31eb5c0e1a4f1e6f954.gif

You can hunt from Duck (northern Nags Head) to where highway 12 going south begins. You will have to check Kill Devil Hills (Wright Brothers Memorial) cops to see if you need a permit but I do not believe Nags Head requires anything. It is typical east coast coarse grey sand with lots of surf. Don't expect much if you detect and you won't be disappointed. :p To drive on the beach you go highway 12 south to the numerous access areas. You can not detect in that area for many miles. I believe you now need a permit for beach driving also.

Highway 12 is 2 lanes all the way to Hatteras then you need to catch the free ferry (40 minute ferry ride) to Ocracoke where the ponies are. From the sound end of Nags Head to Ocracoke it is a 3 hour ride with the ferry. Nice ride but damn stinking ponies are not worth it. :laughing: NO detecting anywhere down that way. Highway 12 starts the no detecting zone. Have fun.

Thanks guys. Ya not sure about the horses..... I was more interested in 4 wheeling...but dont tell her that. What-ch mean dont expect much? From all the response I got this seems like its going to be a gold mine lol. Bottle caps, tent pegs, and nails..... just my kind of hunting. Beats the heck out of swinging for hours for a few pull tabs..... besides I dont dig many thing I can id as iron.... unless its big. Then it makes me curious. Just never know what big iron is.

Dew

Take the fishin' pole..it's good out there right now...never done any detecting out there...only went to fish..usually stayed around Frisco...but I think their pier is gone now...post pics..good luck

Dang..... looks like everyone goes fishing......gotta be some precious metal out there.

Diggin...... ok buddy pressure is on i just booked 4 nights at the Islander with a planned trip to Sams.:lol:

Thought we would hit Myrtle Beach on the way up for 2 or 3 days as well...... sneak in sneak out with my pockets full of pirates gold.:laughing:

My husband and I are somewhat of fried pickle addicts, we try them everywhere we go! if you like fried pickles and even if you don't you definately check out Spanky's Grille in Kitty Hawk, very good food!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny you should mention spankies...... thats on my list.... it was on Dinner Drive N, s and dives. Love them pickels.

Don't ignore all trash signals, you might find a Life Saving Service badge, they can be $$$.

If its made out of IRON or sounds like a shallow bottle cap....... ill leave that badge for the next guy.:lol: $$$..... now thats the kind of stuff you like to take home from vacation.

Dew

Curt not really..... bad timing. Huge storm came in and had water washing over the burms and road. Horrible conditions. Lot of condos but a few hotels might produce. We cut the trip short because of the weather

Talking about driving a Jeep to Nags Head? It's over 600 miles(one way) from where I live to the OBX, we drove it in a Jeep Rubicon... never again!

Found out Nags Head had two "nags"!
That's my nag on the left...

OBX-8a.jpg

Back
Top Bottom