1892 Racine dog license

matmit

Elite Member
Forum Supporter
Tonight I returned to the place where I found the seated dime this weekend.
No more silver, but who needs 'em?

This is my second oldest Racine license:shock:
Two more injuns for the tribe as well.

Happy Hunting Everybody!

Attachments

• 8-11-20 License raw.jpg
    8-11-20 License raw.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 386
  • 8-11-20 1892 License dirty.jpg
    8-11-20 1892 License dirty.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 371
  • 8-11-20 1892 License.jpg
    8-11-20 1892 License.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 360
  • 8-11-20 goodies.jpg
    8-11-20 goodies.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 371
for a moment, I thought you were mis-spelling "Vaccine" . As in dog rabie shots or whatever. But then I realized there's a town called Racine in WI . That's what yours is, right ? If so, there's sometimes collectible value in pre 1900 dog tags . The older (pre 1900) ones are a little easier to find in east coast and upper mid-west states (east of the Mississippi). And harder to find from western states (as very few cities out here dreamed up this revenue source in earlier times). But perhaps yours has value ? Good show !

An amazing find Matt! Congrats on saving that tag from the ground below! Seems like you have a winner of a spot there, good luck when you go back!

for a moment, I thought you were mis-spelling "Vaccine" . As in dog rabie shots or whatever. But then I realized there's a town called Racine in WI . That's what yours is, right ? If so, there's sometimes collectible value in pre 1900 dog tags . The older (pre 1900) ones are a little easier to find in east coast and upper mid-west states (east of the Mississippi). And harder to find from western states (as very few cities out here dreamed up this revenue source in earlier times). But perhaps yours has value ? Good show !

You are absolutely correct, I live in RACINE.
About 4 years ago, I found an 1880's tag and sold it to a collector in PA for big bucks. Now I am having seller's remorse...

An amazing find Matt! Congrats on saving that tag from the ground below! Seems like you have a winner of a spot there, good luck when you go back!
Thanks Darren, not much left now
Wow, oldest dog tag Ive seen posted & a very low number to boot. Nice score. :)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Yeah, I think it's better than an 1892 silver dime (if you can believe that).
I am also a member of the ISALC International Society of Animal License Collectors.
You can check out their Facebook page.

Oldest one Ive found is 1949, my hunting buddy found a 1918 dog tag in the middle of the desert no less. Go figure.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Most of the tags I have found have been in or near the road
Nice old dog tag.
My oldest are 1916 & 1917 on the same ring.
That would be cool to find
That's a nice one for sure, congrats!
Thanks
That's something on my bucket list �� maybe one day?
Congrats!
Keep hunting, you will find one

I love those old dog tags. Have only found one that could be considered old... and that was just a 1937. Bet your heart was Racine when you popped it out! :D

Congratulations on all the finds, but have a couple of questions. That 1892-3 mean that it was issued in March of that year, and it looks like it says $2 so assuming it cost that to license a dog that much back than?

I don't know these things as I don't live or hunt in town a whole lot so never have had to license a dog. Again nice finds.

Don

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Yeah, I think it's better than an 1892 silver dime (if you can believe that)....

I can definitely believe that! In fact, I agree...unusual personal finds like this old dog tag are way cooler than coins, IMO! Yours is the oldest I’ve seen posted, and the oldest I’ve found is 1919. Great find!

Congratulations on all the finds, but have a couple of questions. That 1892-3 mean that it was issued in March of that year, and it looks like it says $2 so assuming it cost that to license a dog that much back than?

Good questions, ecmo...I’m guessing that “1892-3“ might mean the license was good for two years, 1892 and 1893. That would help explain the $2 fee, which actually seems like a lot of scratch for back then. That’s probably a couple day’s pay for many folks back then, so averaging to a dollar a year seems a little more reasonable for the timeframe.

I love those old dog tags. Have only found one that could be considered old... and that was just a 1937. Bet your heart was Racine when you popped it out! :D
You betcha!

I don't know these things as I don't live or hunt in town a whole lot so never have had to license a dog. Again nice finds.

Don

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk
Yes, it was good for two years, emco answered below
oooOOOOOooo, love it!
Thanks

Thanks Darren, not much left now

Yeah, I think it's better than an 1892 silver dime (if you can believe that).
I am also a member of the ISALC International Society of Animal License Collectors.
You can check out their Facebook page.
Better than a plain ‘ol silver dime for sure. Is there any way to check out the Facebook page without signing up?

Back
Top Bottom