Detecting CSX owned property?

Cleveland013

Been busy doing my winter research. :D

Found a local spot that is now a clear field, but used to have 4 - 5 houses on it from at least the 40's through the 70's.

The houses were abandoned and used as firemen training burns.

So I know I'm going to have a LOT of trashy signals around the foundations, but I'm assuming less as I go into the yards more.

A great site though.

The only problem is that what was once the back yards end in a raised CSX railroad track that carries coal trains.

I've checked my county tax assessor's website and sure enough CSX owns the land the houses were on.

They also apparently keep the grass cut on the lots.

This wouldn't be right up against the tracks as they are up a hill so I'm thinking if I can get touch with the right person and plead my case they might say yes. :p

So has anyone successfully gotten permission to hunt a CSX property?

I like most here will tell you that its not going to happen. I know from personal experience (most of my family works for the railroad) you will get told no and if caught there you will be charged with criminal trespassing. Every since 9/11 the railroads don't take lightly to trespassers. Railroad cops are usually more strict then local cops. I wish you the best of luck in attempting permission but I wouldn't hold my breathe.

I like most here will tell you that its not going to happen. I know from personal experience (most of my family works for the railroad) you will get told no and if caught there you will be charged with criminal trespassing. Every since 9/11 the railroads don't take lightly to trespassers. Railroad cops are usually more strict then local cops. I wish you the best of luck in attempting permission but I wouldn't hold my breathe.

He is right, i occasionally have to work near railrod spurs for my job, and lots of safety training is required, and there will always be a spotter provided by the railroad to monitor the tracks, even though i wont be anywhere near the tracks, they are very safety concious, a downside for detecting but a good thing for our national security.

He is right, i occasionally have to work near railrod spurs for my job, and lots of safety training is required, and there will always be a spotter provided by the railroad to monitor the tracks, even though i wont be anywhere near the tracks, they are very safety concious, a downside for detecting but a good thing for our national security.

I have heard that too. I would be surprised if they don't just run you off, with a warning, the first time they catch you, but I have heard not to mess around with CSX property...

you would be lucky if you got a warning. I know a few railroad cops and they said that due to the amount of "No Trespassing" signs posted everywhere they don't bother with warnings and issue strictly tickets. This may not be the case for everywhere and I am purely basing my opinion off of person experience and things may be different for you.

Thanks guys. This set of lines go towards a power plant and the area I want to detect at is a good 100 ft away from the actual tracks. No signs posted that I can see. Don't worry guys I'm not going to trespass. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

there should be a representative in your area from the railroad you could still try calling, they should be listed in the yellow pages. I guess you'll never know if you don't try. I just don't want you getting in trouble or arrested over detecting so I figured I would give you a heads up.

Railroad

Don't have any problems with the railroad people around here. They just wave when they go by. If it is not posted I would try as long as you aren't too close to the tracks. Sometimes people don't care but if you ask permission and they give it they have more responsibility.

Don't have any problems with the railroad people around here. They just wave when they go by. If it is not posted I would try as long as you aren't too close to the tracks. Sometimes people don't care but if you ask permission and they give it they have more responsibility.

Why would he try when he already knows the property is owned by the railroad? It isn't a city park, it is PRIVATE property owned by a company that happens to have its own law enforcement agency and can treat ANY act of trespassing as an act of terrorism especially if he is out swinging his coil and not everyone knows what a metal detector is plus he will be digging holes so whose to say what kind of perception that can give off to the uneducated person.

Agreed. Even if you did, you would be so apprehensive that you wouldn't enjoy it.

Good luck but I would advise you to keep looking elsewhere.

-G

another vote for no ... I have 33 years with CSX and I'm sure at best you would get ran off . Not many bulls ( RR Cops) left but here even the City Police will run people off for being near the tracks here and it would be so full of Iron it would be hard to hunt anyways

Thanks guys.

I'm getting the idea that this site isn't probably worth the trouble.

If it was just the track area I would totally agree and forget about it.

However in this case I don't plan to be anywhere near the tracks.

The tracks themselves are a dedicated line to a coal plant.

They are elevated several stories up and the empty fields that used to have the houses are a good distance away next to the public road.

I would only be interested in the empty fields.

The surrounding area is residential other than the coal plant.

I think I'll give it a chance to shoot off an email or a phone call and see what they say. If it's a no then I'll just walk away.

Thanks for all the help! :)

Back
Top Bottom