The Equinox Line is the Best Sub $1000.00 All Terain Detector on the Market

I only used the 17" coil on the CTX. When it comes to depth, the NOX is not even in the same ballpark on coins and 3+ gram rings. Minelab stated that at detectival and authors like Clive and Drayton write about the depth in their books.

Weight, sure....until you balance out the detector or use a lift assist device. Once the 15" coil comes out for the NOX, I'll bet dollars to donuts we'll hear nothing but compliants about the NOX weight, and being front heavy / not balanced. So folks will do what they did with the CTX....buy a harness, mod the shaft, or add weights to the back.

I'd love for it to do as claimed. A reasonable price would be icing on the cake.

Keep on focus please. CTX isn't in this conversation as it is a 2500.00 machine. Also if you're comparing 15 or 17 inch coils to the stock coil on the Nox, yea, they will be deeper...

BCD

Keep on focus please. CTX isn't in this conversation as it is a 2500.00 machine. Also if you're comparing 15 or 17 inch coils to the stock coil on the Nox, yea, they will be deeper...

BCD

In all fairness, your OP didn't specify New or Used. :D
New they can be bought for <$1,800 with both coils, but there are over 10 pre-owned models for sale at $1k, on the FB groups. Their price is just plummeting and that is awesome because they are IMO the best all-terrain detector available.

In all fairness, your OP didn't specify New or Used. :D
New they can be bought for <$1,800 with both coils, but there are over 10 pre-owned models for sale at $1k, on the FB groups. Their price is just plummeting and that is awesome because they are IMO the best all-terrain detector available.

New... Have to compare MSRP to MSRP. :-)

Not specifying beach detector. I specifically went with all terrain to keep people from saying this beach detector does better than the Nox at the beach. How does that beach detector do it the dirt? In iron? etc.

I can't speak for those who said the Nox is putting everyone out of business... I'm asking about machines in its price range that does everything that it does.

I wasn't really going with a multi-detector setup, but I'll allow it as long as they are under 1000 total and they can do everything that the Nox can do and some things better. Also, under 1000 NEW.

BCD

Every all terrain detectors have sealed batteries that will need to be replaced at sometime. And I don't think any manufacturer will replace them for free after the warranty is out. So that doesn't put the equinox at a disadvantage over any other all terrain detector.

Any most likely someone will come up with an after market replacement that doesn't require one to send it in.

It's always a disadvantage when you have to come out of pocket to keep a detector going.
It's also a disadvantage to be out a detector for weeks while it's in the *shop*.
Just sayin.

CTX, Safari, and ETrac have LI batterys and packs that hold AA's. Excal has aftermarket packs that hold AA's. ALL of them are able to be swapped by the owner, whereas the NOX "currently" requires the owner to return the detector to a service center for replacement.

This thread is about ALL TERRAIN detectors that are waterproof. The safari and etrac are NOT waterproof and do not have a sealed battery. Detectors like the equinox and the Garrett AT have sealed batteries that will require more care when replacing them.

Those AA batteries cost money. How much would one spend on AA batteries in 3 years? The battery like on the CTX is a rechargeable battery but still is expensive to replace.

The equinox requires one to send it in now because it is a new unit and under warranty. It will be replaced for free. In 3 years from now, someone will make a replaceable battery that one can do at home.

It's always a disadvantage when you have to come out of pocket to keep a detector going.
It's also a disadvantage to be out a detector for weeks while it's in the *shop*.
Just sayin.

"Weeks" is an exaggerated word to use. Minelab has greatly improved on the turn around time.

The equinox batteries are in the handle. I am just speculation here but I wouldn't think it would be too difficult to replace. I would also speculate that someone will have an aftermarket battery available in the future where one can buy and replace themselves after the warranty is out.

Batteries are used on ALL detectors and one has to replace them ALL at one time or another. It isn't just an equinox issue. It is a metal detector issue. Most waterproof all terrain detectors have a more complicated to battery replacement due to the waterproofing. With todays lithium batteries, this should not be an issue. Just look at many smart phones today that use a battery that can't be replace by the user.

The equinox batteries are in the handle. I am just speculation here but I wouldn't think it would be too difficult to replace. I would also speculate that someone will have an aftermarket battery available in the future where one can buy and replace themselves after the warranty is out.

There are already people out there that have opened them up. They say the replacement only takes minutes. Apparently minelab is going to release a video showing how to do it and it won't hurt warranty...but I'm not holding my breath.

There are already people out there that have opened them up. They say the replacement only takes minutes. Apparently minelab is going to release a video showing how to do it and it won't hurt warranty...but I'm not holding my breath.

Good to know. I will find and watch the vid. Thanks.

BCD

Yea the 17'' coil on the CTX was much deeper...but I bet the nox will be similar when that 15'' comes out! Too bad its not going to be for a few more months:no:

Attachments

• nox yaya.jpg
    nox yaya.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 343
Calabash and I disagree with that assessment. I have an 8" dime in Georgia red clay that I can hit. He's smacking coins at 10" in his garden.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBVdRYy50ug

Hitting coins in a test garden means nothing!!! Are you going to stand there all day long and swing over your dime and count the times you swung over it, then tell me how many dimes you found that day? Have someone put the dime in trash then see how many times you detect it. You will be lucky if you find it.

The Equinox is good, but I would not call it the best detector in that price range, it is better for some things just like other detectors do better at some things.

Just like everything else in life we have people with different opinions. I refuse to get on the bandwagon and agree or disagree.

I will just say folks will use what they want and learn what they chose in detectors, cars, appliances, and everything else in life.

What works for some will NOT work for all. I think I can safely say I know what folks on here want to be detector testers for name brand detectors.

You are welcome to keep cramming your thoughts down our throats but in the end all that matters is we use what we feel WE NEED. Not what others THINK WE NEED.

I have stated this before also, Minelab will be putting out a video on how to change the battery. You WILL be able to buy them yourselves and it will not have to be sent in. This is directly from a Minelab representative.

Hitting coins in a test garden means nothing!!! Are you going to stand there all day long and swing over your dime and count the times you swung over it, then tell me how many dimes you found that day? Have someone put the dime in trash then see how many times you detect it. You will be lucky if you find it.

The Equinox is good, but I would not call it the best detector in that price range, it is better for some things just like other detectors do better at some things.

So, what detector is better? Justify your answer with comapritive facts.

BCD

BCD. Why does he have to do that? Did you justify your initial statement with comparative facts? If you did I missed it. Sorry

You have obviously not watched the videos. I invited all challengers to change my mind. Saying that he doesn't agree is his right. I won't argue. As you said everyone is allowed to like what they like. It does not however change my opinion. The point of the thread is for someone to come with facts that X detector that is all terrain and under 1000.00 MSRP is better than the Nox and back that statement with facts.

BCD

You have obviously not watched the videos. I envied all challengers to change my mind. Saying that he doesn't agree is his right. I won't argue. As you said everyone is allowed to like what they like. It does not however change my opinion. The point of the thread is for someone to come with facts that X detector that is all terrain and under 1000.00 MSRP is better than the Nox and back that statement with facts.

BCD

VIDEO'S are not facts. Did you make any video's?

The PROBLEM with video's, especially folks that want to test machines will make sure the video is geared to favor the machine. Just like an advertisement is geared to make sure the product being advertised is in the limelight.

IF a tester on a video finds something the Equinox will NOT pick up, do you really think they will post it? If there is a flaw in a product that is being advertised on TV, do you think they will show it? NO. They will ONLY show it's positive side.

I will bet that anytime a video is made, it was AFTER all the tests that DIDN'T WORK as expected were discarded so the video ONLY shows the machines STRENGTHS.

Give me a VIDEO of TWO machines being tested in the WILD, side by side BEFORE a target is dug and you can make a believer out of me.

However, showing me videos in a staged environment do absolutely nothing. They just show a machine works. Who knows for sure what the settings are on the machines that do not seem to work but the person taking the video.

Scuba, I am not sure why this thread had bothered you so much. Is the Nox perfect? Nope. Are there things that it can't find? Yup. Are there things that other detectors can do better? Yup.

For the money across all hunting types, the Nox performs better than anything else in it's class. That is my opinion and I've invited anyone to change my mind on that. I have based that opinion on my personal use and watching literally every video that I could find. Most of them are real live hunts. Many of them do show different detectors over the same target in the wild. A LOT of them are made by detectorist who have years of experience using multiple machines and have found the Nox to be a great machine.

BCD

VIDEO'S are not facts. Did you make any video's?

The PROBLEM with video's, especially folks that want to test machines will make sure the video is geared to favor the machine. Just like an advertisement is geared to make sure the product being advertised is in the limelight.

IF a tester on a video finds something the Equinox will NOT pick up, do you really think they will post it? If there is a flaw in a product that is being advertised on TV, do you think they will show it? NO. They will ONLY show it's positive side.

I will bet that anytime a video is made, it was AFTER all the tests that DIDN'T WORK as expected were discarded so the video ONLY shows the machines STRENGTHS.

Give me a VIDEO of TWO machines being tested in the WILD, side by side BEFORE a target is dug and you can make a believer out of me.

Back
Top Bottom