Equinox RANT

NO. It was the detector that alerted you to metal under the ground, period. Your knowledge and your experience and the probability of a good target is all up to you to decide to dig it.

If you leave it because it is just a zinc penny and your buddy right behind you gets a signal and digs to find a huge gold ring, it is not his machine that decided to dig it. It was his knowledge and his wishing to know what his detector alerted him to.

That is it in a nutshell! If you know YOUR machine then you will find stuff. I had a Compass RM-7A for my first detector. Big, heavy shoebox thing but I took the time to learn it's whispers and pulled a coin that the previous owner said I COULD never find with it. An 1852 trime proved to me that the knowledge of the machine is very important. My favorite machine to this day is the Garrett Groundhog, I have not equaled it in depth with any machine I have used. Now that may be because I have not gotten my coil over something as deep as a quarter at a measured 14" (yes I had a tape measure on me, and I know I may have dragged it down a little) but the find was there and had no nicks or digger damage on it. I think the reason I found the deep coins was due to the threshold and not having a VDI screen, and had to trust that the machine was whispering to me.

That is it in a nutshell! If you know YOUR machine then you will find stuff. I had a Compass RM-7A for my first detector. Big, heavy shoebox thing but I took the time to learn it's whispers and pulled a coin that the previous owner said I COULD never find with it. An 1852 trime proved to me that the knowledge of the machine is very important. My favorite machine to this day is the Garrett Groundhog, I have not equaled it in depth with any machine I have used. Now that may be because I have not gotten my coil over something as deep as a quarter at a measured 14" (yes I had a tape measure on me, and I know I may have dragged it down a little) but the find was there and had no nicks or digger damage on it. I think the reason I found the deep coins was due to the threshold and not having a VDI screen, and had to trust that the machine was whispering to me.

Thank you.

Just like a very expensive camera helps the photographer take better pictures. An award winning picture can be taken with a less expensive camera if the photographer is in the right place at the right time.

Anybody with ANY detector can see a huge gold ring in the ground IF it is within the reach of the signal the detector puts out. Folks with a VDI machine might think just another zincoln and pass it by. A person that has a machine that just beeps will be happy to dig the target and get the huge surprise.

So do we say chalk one up for the Tesoro Mojave? NO. We say congrats to the USER.

And since my Equinox has been only getting over small silver dimes or none at all, While Kevin with his E-Trac has pulled 4 silver Washington's and two silver dimes, I would say my Equinox is defective. Certainly it can't be that Kevin is getting over the silver before I do!

Last edited:
"Too many other factors to consider to give the machine all the credit."

That goes in everything in life, but getting results that are actually 90% silver coins, plus getting even more general coins, all within very small spots WE HAVE ALL HERE LOCALLY re-stepping over for years....well, I for one, give a huge kudo to the machine for this fines on virgin hunts after getting it.

The NOX has a "new" language of it's own about good targets. Did I dig more iffy signals? I certainly did, as any semi experienced hunter should in testing something new. Have I dug lots if iffy signals with previous machines in those spots? Yep. Did I, a self admitted, modestly proficient metal detector person find 3 silvers here in one long week at these areas? I did years ago, not in a couple years though.

Deep coins has been amazing! It excites me when I dig one of those iffy signals and see a plain Memorial and have the entire pinpointer inside the hole. I can count the number of 10" pennies or coins I've dug with the Whites, on one hand, since 2010. 7-8-9" coin targets...very impressed with this Equinox there.

Thing about this machine as far as iffy, deeper signals, is that the trash factor has diminished a whole lot so far. Equinox doesn't tone erratically like others, so when it does, it's saying, "You better stop and listen." One way tones with this thing actually means something besides can slaw shards.
Iffy signals = more masked targets = more silver ...point made and proven. All else I call BS. Different coil angle, sweep speed, over reliability on VDI, etc. Many reasons why targets were passed on the other times. How many 3 silver consecutive hunts have you had since? I found a seated just about 10 feet from the usual parking area and starting place in Greenville. Probably walked over 100 times by some of the best detectorists in the area with the best detectors. Was it the miracle detector I was using? No.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

This thread reminds me of the time I came home about the time the Kirby vacuum salespeople had my wife convinced that she would be risking the health and safety of our family if she didn't buy it. Why? Because of all the dirt the new Kirby had picked up behind our old one during their demonstration. So I said "I'll just go ahead and run back over it with our old one again." They
freaked 'cause they knew what the outcome was going to be. Heck, my old one picked up more than theirs. They left.

It takes a heck of a lot of swinging from many directions to hunt out a site. Any decent machine will find more.

Last edited:
I have said on another forum that I have gone over a site with the Nox pretty well and then gone over the same site again with the Nox and found things I missed the first time. Therefor....the Nox is better than the Nox. :?:

Well you convinced me! I am putting my Equinox up for sale and buying one of them Equinox machines! Thank you for taking the time to test these 2 machines against eachother!:laughing:

I can't speak to the depth of the Nox in relic hunting, because I haven't had the chance to take it to a relic site where depth is an issue. Can't say how it acts in a nail bed for the same reason. But I can say that it is the best I've ever used in a park/ballpark/soccer field setting that is carpeted with aluminum pop tops and ring-pull tabs. And when they come out with a smaller coil for it, I'm sure it will do even better at that. Now I did get to take it on a relic hunt in rough country where depth was not an issue because the nature of the ground - nothing sinks past the clay level and that's not very deep. My impression of the machine after a full day's hunt in brush is that the ergonomics of this machine isn't great. I didn't find anything that I wouldn't have found with any other machine I've used in the past 30 years, but I would have expected a little more design finesse in the handle, arm rest, etc. Maybe the great design of the Deus spoiled me. Got to say the Nox is much more intuitive to learn than the Deus, at least in my humble opinion. To each his own.

Bob, ixnay on the nox-nay will ya! I'm trying to find a cheap used Deus over here! :laughing:

I agree with your post from the other side of the spectrum.
I am really new, have a whites classic ID and just got an EQ600 this year. I havent put much time into either machine but i can tell you i havent found !!!! with my equinox! Its not the machine its the fact that im a noob!

Regardless of the machine, the good targets have to be under your coil. So newbies should invest more time in their research in finding sites with a higher probability of having valued targets.

Folks, I am getting TIRED of people that praise the STIPID Equinox up, down and backwards.

IT is NOT the machine.

If you go to dinner at someones home and they make a fabulous meal do you tell them, your pots and pans must be fantastic?

A photographer waits and waits to get the perfect photo. Makes all the adjustments to focus perfectly. Do you say, Great picture, you must have a wonderful camera?

no No NO

The machine does what it is supposed to do. MOST machined do. They give you a signal over a target. Some good, some bad.

A detectorist gets his coil over a zincoln penny signal and it turns out to be a big hunk of gold. Do you praise the machine or the person deciding to dig it?

SO MANY want to praise the machine. BALONEY. It is the USER that needs praise.

I have an Equinox. IT WORKS. I admit it has a fast recovery speed. But I am also a seasoned detectorist. I can pull silver and gold out of iron with no problems BECAUSE I know my machines.

The folks that are on here with their STUPID comments, Another Equinox success story and you have a great machine. HOG WASH.

Give praise where it is due. Praise the USER that digs the signal, nothing else.

END OF RANT.

PS. Since it will be ignored by the folks trying to CRAM EQUINOXES down everyone's throat, because all your other machines are obsolete and need to go to the landfill. I won't be making another comment on the subject.

Just KUDOS to those that dig signals they normally wouldn't and get a very nice find. A gold ring or a half dime or something else fantastic.

(PS) This post was meant for ALL the folks that like to cram the machine down our throats. I did not intend to pick on just one but that might look to be the case. I assure everyone there is more than one person that wants to be a tester for metal detector manufacturers.

Glad to read this. I read a post of a guy saying it was the best detector released in years. This was before the prototypes were even released:lol: I never listen to fan boys.

I watched a video on YouTube today where a guy was comparing the Deus, Equinox and a Mojave in heavy iron and the Deus with a High frequency coil and equinox called a target a good target and the Mojave called it iron. Guess what, it was iron. I own all three machines and each machine has its strengths and weaknesses and NO machine will obselete any other.

I watched a video on YouTube today where a guy was comparing the Deus, Equinox and a Mojave in heavy iron and the Deus with a High frequency coil and equinox called a target a good target and the Mojave called it iron. Guess what, it was iron. I own all three machines and each machine has its strengths and weaknesses and NO machine will obselete any other.

You are so right. I have pulled good things out of trash with my CZ-21 and with my Tiger Shark in the water. I used to swear by the CZ-21 till I tried a Shark. I realized then that each machine has it strengths and weaknesses. I will always use my CZ-21 as my go to machine but I will also go over the same spot again with the Tiger Shark to pick up things I missed. I am sure the Equinox will also go over a few spots that are shallow enough I won't drown it.

He had a YouTube channel, but does he belong to an MD forum and have a sidekick?

That's how you can ID an expert....

:laughing:

Couldn't agree more. I've taken my other detectors, including my 15 year old DFX and cleaned my sites pretty well. I have the 800 and it is a good detector, but it has yet to really bring any of my old sites back to life.

One thing that has always made me laugh is we have a site that was an old carnival grounds from the late 1800's-1920's. Years ago we took our DFX's out there and cleaned up finding many coins deep as the DFX could get. Since then I figured surly modern technology has got good enough to beat out that old DFX and find a few missed goodies. We've hunted the same site with everything from the CTX 3030, Deus, Omega 8000, Fisher F75 LTD, AT Pro, AT MAX, Racer, Racer 2, Impact and many more and not one single missed keepers has been found.

Heck, even to this day I firmly believe the old Whites DFX is the best tot lot detector out there. But then I got a few years experience on that DFX LOL.
I know a DFX with a bigfoot coil will smoke an Equinox. Ask me how i know!:lol:

Larry, Have you gone over the same target on the beach before it was dug?
DFX isnt a depth monster with a bigfoot coil. Its the area it covers. Its why a Bigfoot coil can sell for $1200 for a DFX. If you ever watch what your car wipers do to raindrops on a window? Well a bigfoot coil does the same thing with good targets. Larger volume of targets=more gold. And you pinpoint with the tip so no time at all in recovering target. 17" CTX coil you waste time trying to find the target. Detector will know what i mean if he ever used one. I own 4:shock:

Back
Top Bottom