The better cheaper Metal Detector?

Scott-N8ZUS

I mentioned this in my Newbie intro. But I thought this would be a better place to discuss this.

Well here it goes!

I just busted out my old BH Fast Tracker, and hope to upgrade soon to a Fisher F2. :cool:

While surfing Metal Detectors before finding this site I was wondering why the price deferance is not that much between the cheaper models.

Say the BH Fast Tracker and the Tracker IV. Not much price deferance?

So has any one here really done a review on the Cheaper models?

Like which cheaper model is actually a better Metal Detector? :?:

Just Wondering?

Thanks again for all the Great info here!

That for sure would be a better upgrade from any Bounty Hunter MD.

To which I'm strugling which next upgrade is the better purchase.

I've seen many "Bang for the Buck" deals on the Fisher F2.

Also I've been reading many good reviews on both the compadre, and the F2.

So to which I'll decide soon!

But I was just wondering about the $100.00 + or - dollar range MD's out of curiosity!

Which is just crazy! I know? Why bother? :laughing:

Hey GrandRiverRat ! Howdie from the Lake Shore!

Better off getting a ProPointer for the money. It will see coins as deep or deeper than most $100 units.

Now that has brought up another Question?

The F2 packages seam to come with the Fisher pin pointer.

Any reviews on it?

Better off getting a ProPointer for the money. It will see coins as deep or deeper than most $100 units.

But isn't this just a hand-held unit for working in a hole? You can't detact out in a field with that can ya? Just curious.

As to the original question, I am sort of thinking if my Coinmaster doesn't start making sense pretty sson I am going to try a Compadre. maybe even before the season is over, although I might be at the apex of my frustration right now, hard to tell. "Now is the winter of my discontent" so to speak.

1. I have both an F2 and a Compadre...find tons of great stuff with both...tons of coins plus silver and gold.

2. Generally in the low end, like in all ranges, each step up in price usually gets you a new feature or two.
One feature in an upgraded model can sometimes be close in price to the preceding model.

3. The F-point handheld is not a good pinpointer at all.
Flimsy, the battery cover won't stay on, the depth is maybe one inch if you are lucky.
The Harbor Freight pinpointer is as good, most times actually better.
The Fisher one is thrown in the box by Fisher, not the dealers, so you can't make any deals using this.

I personally think the entry level Garrett Ace series is a great entry level. You put it in the righ location and it will find the coins. Easy to use and learn. Good price. See my signature below and you will see even the 150 does what it is suppose to do. Just my opinion.

I personally think the entry level Garrett Ace series is a great entry level. You put it in the righ location and it will find the coins. Easy to use and learn. Good price. See my signature below and you will see even the 150 does what it is suppose to do. Just my opinion.

Ill second that my 8 week total clad $229.85 silver 11 gold 2 paid for and then some love my ace 250 w/5x8dd coil

I am of the opinion that "You Never have To many Detectors". I just bought my 3rd. Aftre all of the talk about the Tesoro Compardre ($160, Lifetime Warranty) on this Forum, I decided that this would be the perfect addition to my collection.

Easy to use for guest's and others. It will be easier to get land owners permission to hunt if they want to see how it is done, Great for Gold, Sivler, and small targets. I will have a nice light detector to teach my Grandson how to use.

That's a win, win in my book.

Happy Hunting :yes:

But isn't this just a hand-held unit for working in a hole? You can't detact out in a field with that can ya? Just curious.
I was being a bit sarcastic, in that most sub $100 detectors can be outdone by a good pinpointer.

Go with the F2. For the money you can't beat their capability and accuracy.

No problem with the Garrett Pro pointer comment I now see the connection, and also it did bring up a Question from me about them. Regarding the Fisher pin pointer that I have been seeing in the F2 two coil pin pointer packages I have been seeing Meaning "Bang for the Buck".

Now for the final decision?

The F2 package?

The Little MD in a Big Boy box Compadre?

Or a Garrett 150 or 250? To which I also have a 350 for $200.00 in the local Craigslist!

I guess it is where the Money spends! Looking at the F2 for the beginner to learn on.

The BH Fast Tracker is a Beep and Dig. Which walking in my yard sure found alot of foil, and cans. Makes my youngest daughter go "Bummer". When she is with me helping out doing the digging! Did find a nice big chunk of Aluminum though! Had to cut it in half to see for myself! May have to post a picture!

So back to my decision.

The F2 has the I.D. feature, and also come with the extra sniper coil, and the cheapy Pin Pointer. Which is better than nothing, and till I make it to the closest Habor Freight or save enough clad for the Garrett Pro Pointer.

But until then. Many thanks for all the comments, and sugestions! Keep them coming! I'm surley enjoying reading the great information being told here.

Also I'm a veteran Geocacher feel free to ask Questions. I'll be happy to answer any of them. Hate to ask. Any one looking for a Garmin 60 CSX to upgrade too? Just upgraded to a Garmin 62s!

Which right now makes this MD upgrade on the lower price level. LOL!

Thanks again!

My personal reccommendation would be the F2 two coil package, and then leave the Fisher pnpointer in it's wrapper to sell on e-bay as a brand new unused unit. Someone will give you around $40 for it, that you can then better use on something else.

The second coil in the two coil package is a 4", which you will find invaluable hunting in heavy trash and close to fences, playground equipment, under benches, etc...
The 4" is also great if you get "off the beaten path" so to speak. Being smaller and a closed coil, it works well getting in between close stationary objects, won't get hung up on every little stickup, and can be run hot for better depth than you might think possible for a small coil.

My personal reccommendation would be the F2 two coil package, and then leave the Fisher pnpointer in it's wrapper to sell on e-bay as a brand new unused unit. Someone will give you around $40 for it, that you can then better use on something else.

The second coil in the two coil package is a 4", which you will find invaluable hunting in heavy trash and close to fences, playground equipment, under benches, etc...
The 4" is also great if you get "off the beaten path" so to speak. Being smaller and a closed coil, it works well getting in between close stationary objects, won't get hung up on every little stickup, and can be run hot for better depth than you might think possible for a small coil.

Longhair has it right. Buy the F2 package, bargain for a Pro Pointer, and sell the Fisher PP while still new in the wrapper. There comes a time when you simply just need to trust experience. You won't be the first or last who tries the Fisher PP and then goes to an expense of finding a HF to get the $16 PP, and FINALLY come back to what most here tell you to do...get the Garretts PP to begin with. jmc2. martin

F-2 ,three coil package,love it...Saving my clad for a Compadre,(curse you Digger27 !!!):lol: ...I purchased a BH Tracker IV for my neighbors son. I got it at Hobby Lobby for $60.00 including tax (Texas).They had a 40% off coupon,so I scored. Original price was $99.99. Nice entry detector for a kid IMHO.

Last edited:
OK Gang!

The Fisher F2 with the three coils package it is!

So many deals with extra goodies out there it's a no brainer. Plus I like having a nice case to put every thing in to lug around.

Going to wait to order being I have a long weekend trip to Kentucky to do some caving this coming weekend!

Thanks to all for the info again. If I have any questions I know I can find them here!

Back
Top Bottom