Will metal detectors ever incorporate ground penetrating radar?

cburk

I think the ultimate metal detector would also incorporate ground penetrating radar. Once a target is detected the ground penetrating radar would kick in and be able to at least show the shape of the object in the ground. This would be awesome information to know and in my opinion would be the only way to eliminate digging most trash signals. If someone could put this in a detector and make it accurate to 12 inches.

Maybe we could finally stop digging pulltabs and can slaw:grin:

I think the ultimate metal detector would also incorporate ground penetrating radar. Once a target is detected the ground penetrating radar would kick in and be able to at least show the shape of the object in the ground. This would be awesome information to know and in my opinion would be the only way to eliminate digging most trash signals. If someone could put this in a detector and make it accurate to 12 inches.

Maybe we could finally stop digging pulltabs and can slaw:grin:

i thought of that a few days ago, have the pinpoint feature be GPR would be nice.

I'm sure this will happen in the future. I'm betting the issue is cost followed by making the GPR unit small enough and light enough to be incorporated into the coil. The other problem is battery power. I'm not sure how much power it takes to run GPR.

It's probably can be done, it's just not something that would be cost effective to manufacture, small target market.

Radar guns for police use to be expensive, no pretty much anyone can buy one. Hot Wheels even made a toy version. They are useful other things, besides speeding cars, so a little more profit incentive. Baseball pitch speed, dog chasing the neighbor's cat, kid running around the track...

Believe GPR is a lower frequency, mostly the imagining software would be the most expensive to develop, unless you want to carry a laptop computer around. Don't think it's turn-on, and up pops an image, lot of fiddling around.

Think it would still have the same masking problem. You see the pulltab on top, you might not see the coin or ring a little further down.

Believe GPR is a lower frequency, mostly the imagining software would be the most expensive to develop, unless you want to carry a laptop computer around. Don't think it's turn-on, and up pops an image, lot of fiddling around.

Therein lies the problem. Objects that are smaller than half a wavelength of the microwave radiation used in the radar will not be seen by the detector.

Also, there is the problem of the weight of the shielding required to contain the microwave radiation so that the operator is not exposed to the constant radiation. You may, after all, want to have kids at some point in your life. :yes:

Apparently the answer to your question is actually YES. Check this out:

http://www.kellycodetectors.com/okm/exp5000.htm

In one of the success stories someone claims to have found gold coins inside of a rock.

$23,000 plus an extra $3k for discrimination. $57k for the Pro version.
Plus an extra $50k+ for a Backhoe because the depth is stated as up to 25 meters (82 feet).

Who knows, maybe this is the future of detecting and the price will go down over time.

For all that money, you will look like a member of the 80s band Devo ("Whip It") wielding a vacuum cleaner:

Attachments

• exp_5000_with_guy.jpg
    exp_5000_with_guy.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 1,032

In one of the success stories someone claims to have found gold coins inside of a rock. Apparently the depth is crazy (says up to 25 meters / 82 feet).

$23,000 plus an extra $3k for discrimination. $57k for the Pro version. Who knows, maybe this is the future of detecting and the price will go down over time.

For all that money, you will look like a member of the 80s band Devo ("Whip It") wielding a vacuum cleaner:

"Only" $23,500, huh?
I bet for that price you can probably talk them into giving you a free cheap digger and crappy treasure pouch, too.

In one of the success stories someone claims to have found gold coins inside of a rock.

$23,000 plus an extra $3k for discrimination. $57k for the Pro version.
Plus an extra $50k+ for a Backhoe because the depth is stated as up to 25 meters (82 feet).

Who knows, maybe this is the future of detecting and the price will go down over time.

Just because the web site claims it is a Ground Penetrating Instrument, doesn't mean it is a Ground Penetrating Radar. As a matter of fact, it is simply a PI detector with some very expensive image mapping software.

The "Technical Specifications" are kind of funky and really tell you a lot about the capabilities of the machine NOT.

Technical Specifications:

• Power supply: 12 Volt
  • Weight: about 2kg
  • 57.800 impulses per second
  • Working memory: 64 MB SDRAM
  • Data memory: 64 MB
  • Voltage: 9.6 - 14.4 VDC, 22W maximum
  • Safety class: IP 40
  • Operating time: about 3 hours
  • Operating temperature: 0°C - 40°C
  • Display: 640 x 480 Pixel, TFT color
  • Computer: 300 MHz Processor, INTEL i586-kompatible
  • 2 year warranty

Nothing on depth there. :roll:

Just because the web site claims it is a Ground Penetrating Instrument, doesn't mean it is a Ground Penetrating Radar. As a matter of fact, it is simply a PI detector with some very expensive image mapping software.

I've heard it's a magnetometer.

So have you guys who want GPR ever seen the output from a GPR?

I have heard that as well Carl, but although magnetometers can be used as metal detectors, they can detect only magnetic (ferrous) metals. Magnetometers can detect such metals at a much larger depth than conventional metal detectors; they are capable of detecting large objects, such as cars, at tens of meters of depth.

The reason I discounted them being magnetometers is their claims of finding gold coins. Perhaps, it is multipurpose depending on what kind of probe plugged into their computer?

I used to do a lot of GPR work....and the output is all wacky hyperbolas and to get an actual picture of sorts you had to st set up a piece of paper with gridlines and scan each direction at set intervals.....Hopefully the technonlogy can be incorprated into a nice detector unit that is easy to use and interpret.

The reason I discounted them being magnetometers is their claims of finding gold coins.

I wouldn't necessarily trust any of the claims, but even so, it is possible for a mag to image a large non-ferrous mass if the surrounding soil matrix has enough mineralization.

I used to do a lot of GPR work....and the output is all wacky hyperbolas and to get an actual picture of sorts you had to st set up a piece of paper with gridlines and scan each direction at set intervals.....Hopefully the technonlogy can be incorprated into a nice detector unit that is easy to use and interpret.

Most of the people who ask for GPR imagine it will show a picture of what's in the ground, and that it can resolve targets as small as a coin.

Most of the people who ask for GPR imagine it will show a picture of what's in the ground, and that it can resolve targets as small as a coin.

My detectors already see coins. What I want is the ability to read the date and mint mark on the coin, so that I know whether I want to go to the work of digging it out. :lol:

Seriously, there are a bunch of technologies that have been used for years in scanning detector systems, used to map voids and solid objects from inches to meters deep, depending on the technology. With Nokta's new VLF Invenio, it's coming closer to the hobbiest world:

https://www.kellycodetectors.com/catalog/invenio-pro-pack

Gpr

Wouldn't it be cheaper, easier, and quicker to just order old coins, relics, rings and stuff off Ebay from the couch at home?? :shock:

Back
Top Bottom