Forum members, advise me on this V Nickel

North Shore

What should I do with this V Nickel to enhance its displayability? FYI I did leave it over night in olive oil because I read that would help it, no other action has been taken.

2wo8y9u.jpg

e9u49x.jpg

To be honest with you, I think that nickel is too far gone. That's the sad harsh reality of nickels, is the ground kisses them the worst of any dug coins. Gold, silver, copper, etc... all stand a better chance. Unless you're in some non-mineralize fairly dry type desert environment, then most of the time nickels get too "kissed" :(

But to answer you question: For nickels, try naval jelly. Let some sit on it over night. Next morning thumb rub, rinse, repeat soak, etc... You can get a little agressive if you want (if it's just for display purposes afterall) and introduce some baking soda during the gentle thumb rub step.

Oldsjunkie had a pretty good method if you can find the thread under "cleaning your finds" sub forum. It's a little harsh but with something that has little to no value I'd go for it. I believe he did his for the same reason. I'll see if I can find the thread.

To be honest with you, I think that nickel is too far gone. That's the sad harsh reality of nickels, is the ground kisses them the worst of any dug coins. Gold, silver, copper, etc... all stand a better chance.

I think that in our neck of the woods, Nickle survives better than copper does in most cases. The moist, rblack, sulfur-compound rich soil of MA destroys copper.

Thats a nice find but unfortunately the environment wiped it out too badly to make it a good display item for anybody other than yourself...You could go buy a replacement at the LCS for a couple of dollars..pick yourself up a few Buff nickles while you are there too...You will be needing them...

Think about it like taking a nice fish to a taxidermist...you dont really get YOUR fish back...just a replica thats about the same size...:laughing:

A V nickel is a good trophy though, so congratulations! Good Job! One less thing on your bucket list to worry about!
Mud

I'm thinking I'll try to scrub it with an SOS pad under a running faucet, trying to get rid of the green cake. Then I'll do the sebaceous gland oil rub and try to highlight any raised surfaces.

Maybe I could try the small batch 12v electrolysis videos I've seen. O well.

I'm thinking I'll try to scrub it with an SOS pad under a running faucet, trying to get rid of the green cake. Then I'll do the sebaceous gland oil rub and try to highlight any raised surfaces.

i tried the sos method I think the gojo route would be more beneficial. Honestly I can see the date and the reverse clear as day I think you could clean that up nicely HH!

i tried the sos method I think the gojo route would be more beneficial. Honestly I can see the date and the reverse clear as day I think you could clean that up nicely HH!

There will be almost zero detail left if the coin is cleaned. That "green cake" is the corroded copper which has leached out of the coin. Once it's gone, any detail it held is gone too. It's the sad reality of our hobby.

It has no value whether or not it's cleaned so you can use it to experiment on with cleaning methods.

There will be almost zero detail left if the coin is cleaned. That "green cake" is the corroded copper which has leached out of the coin. Once it's gone, any detail it held is gone too. It's the sad reality of our hobby.

It has no value whether or not it's cleaned so you can use it to experiment on with cleaning methods.

Jason check out the link I posted above and scroll down to the V nickel he cleaned. Thing looks great! IMO it should work well in this case also. Looking forward to seeing how it looks after cleaning.

Jason check out the link I posted above and scroll down to the V nickel he cleaned. Thing looks great! IMO it should work well in this case also. Looking forward to seeing how it looks after cleaning.

I did. There is ZERO comparison between the two "pre-cleaned" coin conditions. The only in your link is 100 times better than the coin posted in by the OP in this thread.

Seems to me there's plenty of detail left on his coin. You can see the date and the reverse pretty good and after gojo I'll bet those details will still be visible. OP please update with photos if possible curious to see how it works out for you.

I did. There is ZERO comparison between the two "pre-cleaned" coin conditions. The only in your link is 100 times better than the coin posted in by the OP in this thread.

I tend to agreen but I'm gonna try that gojo method and see if I can bring out a little detail, sucks that that green zinc held alot of the detail

Keep the suggestions coming I'm sure someone has delt with such a burnt example

Scrub it like the dickens with a green scrubby sponge. Red will disappear, silver will come back. Not advised on a key date, but it will make it look much better. I do it often on my nickels. Tumbling with other coins works too but can create pitting.

Back
Top Bottom