Very-Very Old Relic!!!

Rainman

This has to fall under the category of a relic. I was digging & detecting and sifting around the north side of my house in preparation for planting a nice pine tree. I dug down to the sand layers and figured that was enough of being careful, nothing is likely to be down this far. Well, three shovel fulls later this thing popped out. I took notice and picked it up thinking it was a sharpening stone in that I have found many around the property. Immediately I thought, WOW, this isn't a sharpening stone, it looks like a cave man tool !

I called and sent some e-mail pictures to my friend at the state museum.... his response... "Actually Don, that is a cave man tool" It's a "Red Paint People gouge" used to make dug out canoes etc. I asked... how old is this thing? His response ... Oh about 5 to 7 thousand years old, Equal to or older than the Pyramids of Egypt... I had the same response as bottle cap to his big ring find... HOLLY CRAP!!!

Since then I have found a scraper and had two Archeologists give me the same dating time period and had the Native American community leaders out to see what I found... It's going to stay with the house for a while and then someday it will go to the Native American Museum.

I always hope to find nice old relics, I just never expected to find a relic from the stone age and certainly not 6 feet from my house.

Don

Attachments

• stonetool-2.jpg
    stonetool-2.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 499
  • stonetool-4.jpg
    stonetool-4.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 487
  • stonetool-3.jpg
    stonetool-3.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 498
very nice! i found one similar to that several years ago but mine was broken in half since then i have always wanted to find a whole one,mine is a bit wider than yours and probably not as old.

From what I now understand about these types of artifacts and finds, it's very common to find them broken and they come in all different shapes as far as length, width and roundness. I have since seen some here locally found out on the islands in the bay which are much more round than this one. and most of the other finds were broken in some way.
The museum people tell me this one is quite a nice form and very unusual in having the cutting end still retaining such a fine edge. I was also told that this means my property was possibly a work site or ceremonial site. It does not appear to be any kind of encampment as I have not --so far-- found arrow heads or other common items of day to day living or hunting, just these really old shaping tools

I guess in the open primitive artifacts market a good whole one goes for $750 -- $1500...

Hound: Send me a picture of yours if you have one... I like to see it.

Don

Whew !!! From the title of this thread I thought you might have posted a photo of my mother-in-law! :lol: :lol:

Harley-Dog

Based on the information you've been able to obtain, that certainly is a nice museum-worthy piece. And you didn't have to travel far to find it either. :)

Congrats!

Back
Top Bottom