Suggestions for creek prospecting?

TechnoG

I just bought a home on a couple acres that has a stream running through it. The stream is only a foot deep at most and 2-3 feet wide in places though the water moves quite quickly. I have a sneaking suspicion there may be gold in the creek, but who knows how much of that may be wishful thinking. :)

My only experience with the hobby came from a present on my 15th birthday which was a $50 model from Radio Shack. Not long after I got it, it basically died from me dunking the coil into mud-puddles, no doubt again... as a result of wishful thinking.

20 years later I'm Looking for a big-boy model now, hoping to stick to the $300 price range for a unit that will hold up to having the coil submerged in water and not be too complicated for a beginner to get some results.

90% of my motivation for getting into the hobby right now is to either confirm or deny the existence of gold particulate (or nuggets) in my stream. If I find something of interest, I'll save up for a bigger better model like the tesoro lobo super traq that I've seen folks rave about unless there would be something more highly reccomended for this type of environment?

Suggestions on a good model (or pointer to a thread) for a unit that will reliably detect gold particulate of bb size under water within 2-3 inches of sediment?

Cheers!
Greg

The best way to find out if there is gold in your creek is to pan for it since most of what your likely to find would be tiny gold dust or flakes. Using a detector to to try and confirm the presence of gold when you dont know if it is there or not could give you endless hours of work for nothing at all.

Old School Technology

I am a gold prospector first and a MD'er second. The best way to do what you want is to use a test pan. Garrett makes a nice gold pan, 14 inches minimum, will cost you about $11.00. GO to youtube and type in variations of gold pan to see a video on how to use a gold pan. I didn't know what part of the country your in to assist you further. I was a panner for a few years before I purchased my Gold Bug 2 detector. If you find gold, there will be a lot of black sand usually.
The panning processis how you decide how much gold if any is there to be worked.

Couple of tips. Best odds on the inside bends in the creek, behind rocks, in crevices, in tree or grass roots or moss.

Welcome to the forum from Virginia

:welcome2:

Theres a tool on the internet put out by blm that can show you if there are any existing claims in the local area and also inactive claims. If there was gold around your area it will most likely have been claimed at one time or another. some states might not have all there info in yet so records might be incomplete. It works like Google earth and is called Geocomunicator, it is free to download on the internet. also one tip look at your land on google earth to find where the 100 to 1000 year flood lines might be, figure center of what would have been the channel ,this area might be High and dry now. these are great tools for prospecting. Ive found bbench deposites this way Hundreds of feet above the current chanels in my area.
Let us know what you find?
Good luck

Back
Top Bottom