any last minute tips on Surf DF?

clifftronics

in memory of...
gonna hit a beach on the gulf coast of florida at sunrise with my new Surf DF and RTG monster scoop that i purchased from flphil this week. Any last minute tips or suggestions would be appreciated...:D gonna pop my cherry on water and wet sand for the first time and Iam really excited. So wish me luck and I will post pics of my finds...And if iam not totally wiped out I might just do a nite hunt with CWmike....thanks all...GL+HH...cliff.

Big Gold!

Take it nice and slow. Stay in the wet sand and water only up to your knees at first, so you can get a handle on pinpointing and scooping. Don't try and cover the whole beach, just relax, and slowly work the sand low and slow. Dig it all, and pay attention to the signal you hear, so that you'll start learning the language of the machine. Last but not least, don't drown and HAVE FUN! :laughing:

If you are just starting out for now just dig everything...

Some good settings that are stable most of the time are setting the gain at 1-2pm the pulse delay to 7 pm and the threshold to your liking volume wise... these are my settings..

As you progress try and size your targets digging narrow sounding targets.

Iron is a long drawn out bellowing tone, nails, wire, sparkler sticks, bobbiepins are crackly double beeps.

I try to size a target by its response, its sharpness or narrow signature..

Whisper targets as well can be sized the same way as shallow targets..

As you progress besides the deep whispers there is another deeper target which is like a silent spot on the threshold but is repeatable with these targets you can take a couple scoops hopefully the target will become louder...

Above all have patience as the PI is a different animal than a VLF machine.

Take it nice and slow. Stay in the wet sand and water only up to your knees at first, so you can get a handle on pinpointing and scooping. Don't try and cover the whole beach, just relax, and slowly work the sand low and slow. Dig it all, and pay attention to the signal you hear, so that you'll start learning the language of the machine. Last but not least, don't drown and HAVE FUN! :laughing:

THANKS, I plan on digging everything and its always fun when iam swinging, finding something is just a bonus.

If you are just starting out for now just dig everything...

Some good settings that are stable most of the time are setting the gain at 1-2pm the pulse delay to 7 pm and the threshold to your liking volume wise... these are my settings..

As you progress try and size your targets digging narrow sounding targets.

Iron is a long drawn out bellowing tone, nails, wire, sparkler sticks, bobbiepins are crackly double beeps.

I try to size a target by its response, its sharpness or narrow signature..

Whisper targets as well can be sized the same way as shallow targets..

As you progress besides the deep whispers there is another deeper target which is like a silent spot on the threshold but is repeatable with these targets you can take a couple scoops hopefully the target will become louder...

Above all have patience as the PI is a different animal than a VLF machine.

TY for the tips, one thing ive always had is patience, it should be a outgoing tide. hopefully theres some goodies mixed in with the junk. its kind of a small beach but is always packed with people.

We were thinking of coming up with a name for this SILENT SPOT on the THRESHOLD. Craig, I think you just named it......SST! :yes: Hey cliff, Just have fun out there and be careful.

TY for the tips, one thing ive always had is patience, it should be a outgoing tide. hopefully theres some goodies mixed in with the junk. its kind of a small beach but is always packed with people.

Some guys who try a pulse machine get turned off by digging tiny staples a foot down or a sneaker eyelet and sell their detector after a few weeks ;) I started with a PI beach hunting :)

Hopefully with practice you can discriminate the sound of staples and sneaker eyelets. I have a Surf PI in shipping right now. This is my first serious MD so I hope I am successful. I had a Tesoro Cibola about 5 years ago. I can remember digging holes and not finding the target. Guess I could have used a pinpointer...

I hear what your saying. The Cibola is a decent machine. I guess I meant the first detector that put a "serious" hit on my wallet :laughing:

Back
Top Bottom