• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Morgan -- is this thing real?

GoldenEagle

Hi. I am looking into trading some stuff for a Morgan and the guy sent me a photo of his 1881 coin. I looked at the front and it looks pretty good (even toned), but then the back has a strip of dark material on it. Does it look like the coin is artificially toned?

Thanks for your input guys!

I'm certainly no expert but I believe the dark strip is a result of improper storage. Perhaps part of the coin was sticking out of a holder and in contact with paper or something like that. Either way, it doesn't matter because it affects the numismatic value of the coin (maybe only melt now?). Again, I am no expert on this.

Anyone else have an idea?

I'm not really a fan of the toning on the back, so is there a way to remove without killing the coin? It's only worth melt, so it might as well look good!

SOME toned silver dollars go for much more than melt. I'd leave it alone, cleaning never really gets them back to original luster.....

Dusty

Its real for sure. As for cleaning the stain, theres dips you can use, but DONT rub the coin or it might scratch it. either way its probably still only melt value anyways. Im not the expert at coin values, but thats what the going rate it on ebay... $25-35

Cleaned and retoned.

If you buy it I'd leave it as is.

With that said, I wouldn't buy it (or trade for it)

As long as you did not trade a Beta Volcanic Island for it... I think you did great.

You seriously traded Magic the Gathering cards for a Morgan?! My fiance's brother has mountains of Pokemon cards laying around. I should totally see if they have value and do him a favor by trading up!

a word about Pokemon cards....some of them sell like crazy. kids have about 500 each and daughter wanted to look up some values. Some of the foil cards she has sell for 100+.

Morgans scare me, there are so many fakes out there i just will not buy them. They are cranking them out in China........

If you buy Morgans from an established and proven dealer on ebay, you should have no problems. I do avoid buying Mogans from ebay "newbies"!!!

Dusty

If you buy Morgans from an established and proven dealer on ebay, you should have no problems. I do avoid buying Mogans from ebay "newbies"!!!

Dusty

Yeah, the larger dealers that have been selling for a long time aren't knowingly going to be sending out fake coins.

:shock: Dusty..... You changed your avatar !! :shock:

Dusty
Or in Afghanistan for that matter... I got scanned by a camel jockey with no teeth he sold me 12 of them LOL

Back
Top Bottom