War of 1812 Digs in Virginia

Waterhead

Here are several pictures of some of my relics that I dug on private property off the James River in Virginia today.

It's a pretty neat area that has offered me some real early colonial relics, War of 1812 relics and a few civil war relics over the years. I dug all these relics in a small area that was loaded with old brick, oyster shells and black glass. There was pretty significant iron readings in there as well which made things pretty challenging for my machine.

This place was screaming Spanish cobs, bits or reales but no such luck. Not one Spanish coin, copper or a big penny. This is the first time I have hit one of these sites where I did not even find one clay pipe stem; I can't figure out.

Anyhow, included in my finds were two British Great Coat buttons; they are often mistaken for small colonial rosettes. The buttons are brass and have iron shanks which are usually rusted off....as are these. These are the two larger buttons in the lower left of the group picture. Directly above that is a damaged solid silver thimble. Also included are 9 flat brass buttons and or pewter buttons, a brass buckle, a lead pendant (probably an early period fishing sinker), a smashed Dosimeter (lead cup used to measure gun powder), a .75 caliber lead ball for the Brown Bess Rifle (I would guess) and a bewildering array of lead balls and shot. I found a ton of various size lead shot so I grabbed some for the picture as a representative. All were field cast and still had the casting sprue attached.

The next two pictures are the gun powder measuring cup and the Brown Bess ball together. I've always known these to be called a Dosimeter and are quite rare. I just wish the cup was not smashed closed. In 25 years of digging, this is only the second one I've dug. They actually look like a small Dixie Cup. Several years ago, I dug about a dozen of these large musket balls about 200 yards from this location. These things are huge when your used to digging the smaller .69 caliber civil war round balls.

There is nothing here that would warrant a visit from the Smithsonian for a display loan. But it was nice outside, the sun was shining and I loved digging every piece.

Wish everyone good luck!

Attachments

• DSC_0328.jpg
    DSC_0328.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 625
  • DSC_0330.jpg
    DSC_0330.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 572
  • DSC_0331.jpg
    DSC_0331.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 570
Nice finds. I found what you called a pendant once in a CW camp. I did some research and was told it was a home made pendulum for a cannon. Not really sure though. Keep digging.

Nothing for the Smithsonian but when you dig that kind of stuff you know at any minute something great can happen.

All my cobs have come from sites settled pre 1760, so the age has be be back there, at least here it does. But the 1770s and 80s is the prime for good military so if your site dates that old a good button might happen. There's just so many possibilities for very good finds at late 18th century sites and I get a bigtime rush whenever I discover a new early site.

Yep!

This site is pretty old and some of the old folks say that the first settlers crossed the James River from Jamestown started building homes there. There is a tavern site on the property but I can't hunt it now because it's planted with cover crop. I dug my first Spanish Cobb there years and years ago. I've dug numerous Spanish coins there since. That site is loaded with clay pipe stems, oyster shells and broken green and black glass.

Funny but my digs, pictured above, came from a site that was real close proximity which had no pipe stems at all. I would have bet good money that I would have dug Spanish silver there yesterday but no luck. I've hunted others like it, no coins in 6 hunts and dug 3 pieces of silver on the 7th hunt....go figure!

So far, I've located four sites on the property and have not even hit it real good. I try and take it easy and only hunt it about 3 or 4 times a year; I don't want to wear out my welcome.

This site is pretty old and some of the old folks say that the first settlers crossed the James River from Jamestown started building homes there. There is a tavern site on the property but I can't hunt it now because it's planted with cover crop. I dug my first Spanish Cobb there years and years ago. I've dug numerous Spanish coins there since. That site is loaded with clay pipe stems, oyster shells and broken green and black glass.

Funny but my digs, pictured above, came from a site that was real close proximity which had no pipe stems at all. I would have bet good money that I would have dug Spanish silver there yesterday but no luck. I've hunted others like it, no coins in 6 hunts and dug 3 pieces of silver on the 7th hunt....go figure!

So far, I've located four sites on the property and have not even hit it real good. I try and take it easy and only hunt it about 3 or 4 times a year; I don't want to wear out my welcome.

Well there's certainly no doubt about that area of VA being old and giving up some great finds, and a LOT of Spanish silver. It's getting very hard to find the real early sites here and I'm very happy with how many cobs I have because I don't see too many in the future. But that's ok, there's plenty more interesting finds out there besides Spanish silver. But it sure is cool seeing those in the dirt.

Very awesome 1812 stuff. Seems to be an underrepresented relic category on the boards.

The funny part is there is probably way more finds posted from that era than Colonial. Most of my sites are on the old side, flat buttons, large coppers etc., and finds I dig do post date Colonial. The post above looks like a mixture of both late 1700s / early 1800s.

:)Nniiiiice!

Somewhere like that would keep me excited to go back time and again!

Back
Top Bottom