ACE 300... Looking For Advice/Tips

BeavRealtor

I've hade my ACE 300 for about four days and I've been swinging it at local parks and schools every chance I have had since I got it. So far, I've found a small .925 clasp, a few bucks in clad, a cheap necklace charm and a possible silver earring.
I've been trying to pay attention to the tones/numbers, but I have noticed that a clump of foil has a very similar tone/number to a coin. Bottle caps also ring in pretty high, and small foil seems to ring in within the gold/nickel range.

I was just wondering if any fellow ACE 300 users can give me some pointers that will help reduce the learning curve.

Are there targets that you wouldn't dig?
Do you dig every target in the gold range?

jim

For 4 days, sounds like you're learning great. All your observations are spot on. The Ace is a standard "beep" detector, so it's hard to tell many variations in the targets with the limited information it gives.

Typically detectors relate all info onto coin sized targets, meaning it's interpretating these signals onto something it wants to be coin sized. If a small earring for instance, it will relate that such a target is deeper than it truly is because small earrings are not as "large" as a normal coin and since the signal is small it wants to say that coin is deeper than it is. Again, it "thinks" this "coin" is actually deeper than it is, because of it's size in relation to what it "wants to see". I hope that makes sense.

A coke can buried 14 inches deep will tone high like a quarter and the detector will "see" it as only 5-6 inches deep. This is a situation that fools many of us over and over again. The large amount of metal causes it to ring high like silver even though it's aluminum, while the largeness of the can throws off the depth because of trying to relate it as a coin sized target. There are tips and tricks you will learn soon to help in these situations, but if in doubt...dig as appropriate. Obviously you don't want to be digging holes 14 inches down in playgrounds, so use your best judgement in these situations.

If you're digging bottle caps and foil, this shows you are successfully hunting with the gear you have. :good: Keep truckin, sounds like you're doing great!

Gold is one of those metals that falls among many different ranges, typically very high iron through low penny range. Depending on size, thickness, purity and orientation it will give off different signals. All foil falls within that range also depending on the those same characteristcs, among with pulltabs and nickels. If you're digging those things, then you will get the gold if it is there.

Silver will ring up higher than gold. Small silver earrings can ring as low as penny and go all the way up to 99 depending on the same characteristics.

Hope that helps, and don't be scared to ask more questions if needed. Also post pics of your finds so we can help and encourage you! We love pics!

Last edited:
I've had my Ace about two months at this point. What I dig depends on my mood. Some days, depending on location, the, "Dig it all" even includes the iron signals (I've found some cool old stuff in that range). Some days I try to just pull out the best possible signals.

Bottle caps and dimes sound a lot alike on my Ace400. Supposedly, a coin will sit on one number more than a bottle cap. I forget if the 300 has Iron Audio, but that can be a big help as it adds a little fart sound to the front or back of the bing noise when it's a bottle cap and not a coin. And then there's the clipping... he sound of a coin will be more 'round' and the bing on bad targets will often sound cut off. There's a lot of information in the tones if you learn to listen to what the machine is telling you.

One thing I have often seen suggested that I really need to do in the next few days before the ground freezes here is put in a practice bed. Make sure you are starting in a clean area (dig everything out) and bury a penny, nickel, dime, quarter, pull tab, square tab, foil, can slaw, etc. (can even do rows at varying depth, lots of info available on here to search) and then swing your detector over it regularly to get used to what sounds the various things make and numbers they show on the screen. I think if I did that, I wouldn't have to dig up those first few jumpy 84/85 signals that don't quite sound right that I'm pretty sure are a bottle caps but might be a dime, that always turn out to be bottle caps.

I'm also trying to learn to not dig the 14" deep soda and beer cans anymore. The board tip there was to raise the coil. If I'm a foot or two off the ground and it's still saying there's a quarter at 6", I don't dig it. I still end up with an occasional deep can, some days it's more than one, but a lot of that is dependent on how well I'm hearing what the machine is telling me that day. The pinpointer helps a ton with this as well, if the Ace is saying coin a couple of inches down and the pinpointer doesn't pick anything up when I run it over the spot the Ace pinpointed, I move on.

(1) Get a sniper coil- for sure.
(2) Relics mode is super awesome.
(3) In mineralized soil, better results with moderate sensitivity. They made default sensitivity pretty high.
(4) Raising coil helps with oversize targets. A large object will sound off strong 8" above target and usually register as dime or quarter.
(5) Nickels , clad usually lock on while trash bounces 2-3 icons. Of course, valuables like rings mimic this.
(6) Did I mention get sniper coil?

Dig it all would be my advice. Pull tabs & foil will ring up in the Gold range on most all detectors. If you want gold your going to get some trash. + 1 on the sniper coil... GL

Back
Top Bottom