Any bird watchers?

Ed in KC

Forum Supporter
I put seed out for the birds every morning, and have quite an assortment come to eat, but this morning I was surprised to see two Indigo Buntings by the feeder--I have never seen one before.

Attachments

• indigo2.jpg
    indigo2.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 219
  • indigo3.jpg
    indigo3.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 226
You still haven't seen one, you seen two. I got my feeder up and the cats sit in the house and enjoy the show.

Great pics Ed! I used to bird a lot and have only seen Indigo's on two separate occasions. Very beautiful birds to see in the wild.

I've never seen one. Nice picture.

We live in a condo now, so feeding the birds is a no-no.

We had a house in the old neighborhood - with a big yard with lots of trees and bushes. Mom loved to feed the birds and had many feeders. In the winter, we'd go through 6 pounds a day - fed them twice a day. They knew when it was time to eat. I'd go out there with 2 gallon jugs filled with feed and it was like walking into a scene from "The Birds". They were everywhere - watching me - telling me to hurry up. And they'd start eating as soon as I got 20 feet away. All the feeders would be empty in less than an hour. I never had to fertilize the lawn - it grew thick and lush all year long.

Thanks Booker, Steve, and Billiard.
I don't don't put out as much food as you guys did Billiard, but I fill that feeder up every morning, usually a little after six, and the birds are waiting for me, and especially when the ground is covered in snow, they just go crazy out there--it's one of my favorite times of the day.

Nice picture Ed, you certainly get some colourful birds where you are.
We have a bird feeder which I fill up with sunflower seeds on a regular basis.
They go somewhere but I don't see much feeding, they must get up early :)
I have seen a couple of Yellow Hammers, they seem to like the seeds more than any other birds, but I haven't seen them for a while.

I do have tadpoles and newts in the pond though :)

Nice picture Ed, you certainly get some colourful birds where you are.
We have a bird feeder which I fill up with sunflower seeds on a regular basis.
They go somewhere but I don't see much feeding, they must get up early :)
I have seen a couple of Yellow Hammers, they seem to like the seeds more than any other birds, but I haven't seen them for a while.

I do have tadpoles and newts in the pond though :)

Thanks, Alan! I feed them a "songbird blend," which has sunflower, millet, and peanuts, and it seems to attract a wide variety of birds. My favorite is a White-Throated Sparrow, which spends the winter in my yard, under the bushes in that pic--I don't know if it's the same bird or not, but I think it is because it stays in the same spot the last two years. Shortly now, that little bird will make his long journey home to the boreal forests of Canada--I just find that amazing!

Nice pictures Ed. I've never seen an Indigo but, have seen the beautiful Painted Bunting here. Saw an Eastern Bluebird last week. White-Crowned Sparrows winter in our shrubs, too. Spotted a pair of White-faced Ibis at a stock tank a couple of weeks ago. Strange looking birds. We are doing a research project on Greater Road Runners where I work right now. Talk about a interesting bird.

Nice pictures Ed. I've never seen an Indigo but, have seen the beautiful Painted Bunting here. Saw an Eastern Bluebird last week. White-Crowned Sparrows winter in our shrubs, too. Spotted a pair of White-faced Ibis at a stock tank a couple of weeks ago. Strange looking birds. We are doing a research project on Greater Road Runners where I work right now. Talk about a interesting bird.

Thanks! I've never seen a White-faced Ibis, or a Roadrunner (except in the cartoon--Beep Beep!), but the Eastern Bluebird population has increased in this area, and I occasionally see them out in the country--another beautiful bird!

Yeah I know Ed, thats the main reason we want to get one. They would go spastic seeing the birds that close, and the birds CAN'T see the cats.:shock::lol:

Very nice Ed. I got hooked in Pecos New Mexico on my wifes uncles back porch a couple of summers ago. I thought it would be boring but went out to watch anyway. I can't believe how much fun it is. We now have feeders and love to see all the cool birds. They had these gross beaks that were so cool to watch, and tons of humming birds. They were so used to people they would buzz around you like crazy if you stayed still. The blue on your birds is brilliant, thanks for sharing.

cb

Very nice Ed. I got hooked in Pecos New Mexico on my wifes uncles back porch a couple of summers ago. I thought it would be boring but went out to watch anyway. I can't believe how much fun it is. We now have feeders and love to see all the cool birds. They had these gross beaks that were so cool to watch, and tons of humming birds. They were so used to people they would buzz around you like crazy if you stayed still. The blue on your birds is brilliant, thanks for sharing.

cb

Thanks Funnyfarmman! I found a dead Rose-breasted Grosbeak in my driveway last Monday when I came home from work--beautiful bird!

Back
Top Bottom