Fireflys still a few weeks off

OZ_IL

Forum Supporter
Larvae reaching a nice size so they should be pupating soon. Dug these guys up while planting peppers.

Attachments

• firefly_larvae.jpg
    firefly_larvae.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 132
When growing up in Indiana, we always called them "lightning bugs" and I still call them "lightning bugs."

That's pretty good being able to identify the larvae. I had no clue.

As far June bugs, I haven't seen one of those for a long time.

I've heard that the larvae or (glow worms) have a bioluminescence also... Is that true? We call them lightning bugs in my neck of the woods too.

Ditto.. growing up in the Catskills (NYS), we called them Lightning Bugs as well.. would catch them in a jar and also squish them to write our initials on the back of our hand... they would glow in the dark. RickO

would catch them in a jar

That's what we did. Punched a couple holes in the top and used it in our room for a nightlight. Lightning bugs were always my favorite bugs. Don't remember ever seeing any when we were camping in Russia though. Must be a US bug.

I was always afraid of June bugs, (cause they were big, buzzy, and they would land on us) My sister would catch them and tie a thread around one of the back legs and it would zoom around in circles over her head.

That's what we did. Punched a couple holes in the top and used it in our room for a nightlight. Lightning bugs were always my favorite bugs. Don't remember ever seeing any when we were camping in Russia though. Must be a US bug.

I was always afraid of June bugs, (cause they were big, buzzy, and they would land on us) My sister would catch them and tie a thread around one of the back legs and it would zoom around in circles over her head.

I don't know what the range is for lightning bugs, but one time some cousins from Carnation Washington came to vist, and they had never seen lightning bugs before. Maybe we should take a lightning bug roll call?

They've been lighting up my whole backyard for about a week now ... many dozens!!!! I look forward to the first week in June all year long because they are just so "magical." I had heard they are/were on the endangered species list. Anybody know?

When growing up in Indiana, we always called them "lightning bugs" and I still call them "lightning bugs."

That's pretty good being able to identify the larvae. I had no clue.

As far June bugs, I haven't seen one of those for a long time.

We also call them "lightning bugs."

Great... all that "pinching their butts off" caused them to be endangered...lol I've noticed that we get junebugs in May and Mayflys in June... Go figure!

Found this blurb from this site:
http://iris.biosci.ohio-state.edu/projects/FFiles/frfact.html

=================
If you live in the United States, west of about the middle of Kansas, you are not apt to have the flashing type of fireflies in your area. Although some isolated sightings of luminous fireflies have been reported from time to time from regions of the western U.S., fireflies that glow are typically not found west of Kansas. The reason for this phenomenon is not known.
=================

Found this blurb from this site:
http://iris.biosci.ohio-state.edu/projects/FFiles/frfact.html

=================
If you live in the United States, west of about the middle of Kansas, you are not apt to have the flashing type of fireflies in your area. Although some isolated sightings of luminous fireflies have been reported from time to time from regions of the western U.S., fireflies that glow are typically not found west of Kansas. The reason for this phenomenon is not known.
=================

Apparently, once they got to Kansas, there just wasn't any reason to go any farther!:lol:

I can hear them now. We came all this way for this? Kansas is not the garden spot of the U.S.

Back
Top Bottom