Rifle?

Karmold

Hey Folks,

Crossposting from my other thread for some help on ID'ing some stuff.

I found this in a Dutch forest near a WW2 German military camp. Initially thought it might be some tubing, but the iron sight led me to believe it might be a rifle.
N4dfdsvl.jpg

ry7cykAl.jpg

The length is approx. 116cm, which seems a bit long. Wikipedia tells me that most rifles, incl. the butt were that long. Is this a rifle or not? Can anyone help me ID this?

I've also found a rifle bullet with the following marking: P1G3?S 38
Would 38 be the year of manufacture?

Thanks in advance!

Does not look like a rifle barrel but hard to tell in that condition maybe try some electolysis.

The casing marked NWM is from the dutch ammo factory Nederlandsche Wapen-en Munitiefabriek

The other headstamp sounds german with 38 being the year . pics and measurement will help.

Imho a bit too simple sight for a ww2 era rifle. That headstamp is likely German 'P' coded stamp. It should have 4 markings telling the factory, case metal, batch number and year of manufacture.

Voriax

Hey Folks,

Thanks for your replies so far.
I've taken some more images of both the barrel and the bullet casing:

The other end of the barrel, it seems like it's solid metal. Also note some bits sticking out of the barrel
zHD2YmHl.jpg

Another picture of the barrel and iron sight:
0GKZbYbl.jpg

I stuck the casing in there for size reference:
boAshC1l.jpg

Bullet casing with size reference (metric):
SilCBGBl.jpg

zl457Gsl.jpg

I hope these will help shed some light on these!
Full album with high-res versions: http://imgur.com/a/zIA5V#0

I just cleaned the bullet a bit more.
The complete mark is: P103 S 5 38
Anyone know what this indicates?

My post with more pictures of the bullet and barrel should show up once mod-approved.

Edit: I followed up on Voriax's tip, and looked into P-codes

The headstamp format seems to match the German WW2 ammo standards, however:
- the case metal+plating agency+steel analysis combo is not the way it's described on the link above. Instead, I just have the letter "S" at 3 o'clock
- the manufacturer's P code (P103) doesn't seem to show up on any lists

Back
Top Bottom