Rifle cartrige ID???

Rob Erry

I dug this in an area where I found a couple items from the late 1800's, so it may or may not be from that same time era. At first I thought it was just a 45-70 and put it in the "interesting" pile but when I started cleaning it I realized it isn't a 45-70.

I tried to match it up with other cartriges but it doesn't seem to match with anything I can find, I need some help on this one.

Rim Diameter-- .628"

Case diameter-- .505" (just above rim)

length--- 1.867"

Primer hole--- .17"

I measured the best I could (dial calipers) but consider there is slight corrosion build up and case diameter was taken near base due to mouth being deformed.

I can see no markings on it at all, I looked at it from every angle with the loupe and it appears to be unmarked :?:

Inside there is an unusually large hump where the primer is-- possibly an "Orcutt" primer ???????

picture.php
[/IMG]

picture.php
[/IMG]

picture.php
[/IMG]

picture.php
[/IMG]

Thanks, Rob

I cannot find anything with exact measurements. It looks to be a .50-70 of some sort. I almost think that it might be a .50-70 Rodman-Crispin, except the primer doesn't look exactly right. I am still looking though.

Doug

Can you get as accurate as possible case diameter measurement just above the rim and at the neck?

Thanks,
Doug

Hey Turtlefoot, I apologize, I missed typing in a "0".

Case dia. should be .505" just above the rim. The neck is so distorted I can't measure.

Again, I apologize for the miss-type, its been a long week with little sleep.

Hey Turtlefoot, I apologize, I missed typing in a "0".

Case dia. should be .505" just above the rim. The neck is so distorted I can't measure.

Again, I apologize for the miss-type, its been a long week with little sleep.

I understand the little sleep! My days have been starting at 3:45am for the last two weeks! I will do some more digging.

Doug

I am going to go with .45-60 Winchester. Here is the "standard" measurements for this shell.

Case Length - 1.89" (your measurement - 1.867")
Rim Diameter - 0.629" (your measurement - 0.628")
Base Diameter - 0.508" (your measurement - 0.505")

It's not exact with what you measured but it is VERY close

45-602.gif

Last edited:

This is actually a good thing. I spent some time looking based on the earlier infor and didn't get a match. Will look again..maybe bit later (slightly intoxicated atm) ;) I have cartridge corner's full database so perhaps I'll get a hit.

voriax

Hmm it seems turtlefoot was faster..good choice but it might actually be 45-60 Wesson.
Both Winchester and Wesson made this cartridge but based on pic they are bit of different shape..will get back to this later

V.

Hmm it seems turtlefoot was faster..good choice but it might actually be 45-60 Wesson.
Both Winchester and Wesson made this cartridge but based on pic they are bit of different shape..will get back to this later

V.

I too thought about the .45-60 Wesson, but figured it was a scarcer round and went with the one that was more common.

Good info Voriax!

Doug

Thank you so much guys!!

Once I had a name I was able to find this on the IAA Forum

picture.php
[/IMG]

His measurements for the 45-60 WCF in his collection are almost dead on with what I have!!!!! :yes:

I don't understand why there are no marking on the cartrige, unless it was VERY light and they are now gone :?:

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate it. I had looked and looked and couldn't come up with it myself.

Back
Top Bottom