Cancun

gold fever pete

Hello All, I just joined this site. I am going to Cancun next year and was in need of some advice. My friends are getting married at the Secrets Silversands Riviera. They don't offer 2 bedroom suites. My Brother inlaw and sisinlaw are going with us. I need a place to stay that offers 2 bedroom 2 bath suites. The other thing I need to know is how is the detecting near there. I know that there are a lot of hotels near there but what about water detecting> Geeesh I have tooo many questions. Hope someone can help. Thanks HH GFP

What machine are you using? I'd say the water is the place to be, pm me and i can send you in the right direction as far as spots to hit. That hotel you mentioned is south of cancun closer to puerto morelos. As far as a hotel, not sure...

I'd be more worried about having it ripped off in customs in Mexico with a high end machine.

Last edited:
I'd be more worried about having it ripped off in customs in Mexico with a high end machine.

Have traveled out of the country NUMEROUS times and have never had an issue with customs in or out of a country with my MD. Have been to the Dominican, Jamaica and other Caribbean destinations.

Also, Ive never been told I could not detect on the beaches of any Caribbean destination. As long as you don't bother other guests with what your doing no one should have an issue with it.

Good luck and HH. Cant wait to get to Cancun and swing for a week. I can already hear the rings in the scoop. :D

.... Ive never been told I could not detect on the beaches of any Caribbean destination....

Correct. Metal detectors are a common site on the tourist beaches of Mexico and the Caribbean. And you'd *think* this means it's ok , right ? But on the contrary: It merely means all of you didn't ask enough desk-bound border lawyer travel consulate archie types: "Can I?" Shame on you ! Now go back, ask away far and wide, high and low. And I bet you can get a "no" somewhere along the chain. Hurry, go do the right thing! :laughing:

Is it even legal to use a metal detector in Mexico?

My understanding of metal detecting in Mexico is: As long as you stay on the beach and don't bother the tourists you are good to go.

DO NOT wander inland from the beach not even a little bit. There are a lot of antiquities sites throughout Mexico and they are strictly off limits. Sometimes all you need to do to find one is cross the street from the hotel. So don't do it, not even a little bit.

All beaches are public in mexico, you can detect in front of the ritz even if you are not staying there. However, most hotels do lease some beach in front of their hotels for the lounge chairs, but go early or late and you can hit those areas.
As far as being ripped off at customs, spots like cancun see SO MUCH tourism they aim to please, and keep tourists coming back.
Metal detecting is perfectly legal inland as well, but you need permission on private properly just like any other country if you don´t want any issues.

.... but from all the horror stories I've read about detectorists getting into trouble down there.....I was just wondering

What horror stories ? Are you talking about horror stories from some sort of legal perspective ? (ie.: running afoul of some laws) ? If so, can you please link to these stories you're referring to ?

Or were you referring to being mugged or conn'd or something ?

I have never heard of anyone getting in trouble here for detecting either.
But that,s fine, more for me i guess...

I have never heard of anyone getting in trouble here for detecting either.
But that,s fine, more for me i guess...

Strangely enough, the moment someone posts this claim (of supposed "arrests", "legal hassles" "not allowed" "illegal", etc....), then someone else who clicks on such a post will .......... just as done here .... post that they "heard of this" . And so too does someone clicking on THAT post also just take it as a "given" . Afterall, they 'read it on the internet' .

And finally, 10 yrs. later (after links lead to links lead to links lead to links), everyone's looking around saying "since when?" and "where is that written?" and "who ever got into any supposed trouble" ?

Such is the magic of the internet. Urban legends spread fast !

OK people, maybe I should stand corrected because I've never personally been there. But one of my closest friends went to Acapulco with his detector 2 years ago and filled me in on his adventures. He said he could detect in front of his hotel but was told it was not safe to detect anywhere else. He also said it was hard getting his detector out of Mexico, and was "interrogated" about the circuits for over a half hour. I read a story in "Treasure Magazine" once about a man who found a silver bar on a beach in Mexico and was not allowed to take it home. Not trying to stir the pot or cause trouble.......was just asking.

What machine are you using? I'd say the water is the place to be, pm me and i can send you in the right direction as far as spots to hit. That hotel you mentioned is south of cancun closer to puerto morelos. As far as a hotel, not sure...

hi zeemang I will be going to the excellence riveria on the 9th January, do you know if its ok to detect there please?

Relax

There is not a boogey man behind every Palm tree. I have hunted in Mexico (Cabo area) and never had a problem. The beaches are public, hunt and enjoy yourself. What I suggest is take your owners manual with you and have it handy should customs or security question you. I have taken my Excalibur and or CZ1 for years with no problems. I hunt only day light hours, I don't hunt at night, from a safety point. The preceding sentence is not meant as a slur, there are many places in the US I would not hunt at night as well.

Gerry

Isla Murjeres

I am leaving for Isla Murjeres 1/7/17 off Cancun . I have detected on beaches
only and have had no problems the 4 times I have taken my detector. Just make sure you put the main parts in your carry on bag so it does not disappear .
Greg

Back
Top Bottom