Meanwhile back in Tallahassee

Skysurfer

Hello all,
Been awhile since I wandered in here. Had to debate if to start anew or bring up an old thread. I'm getting back to it seems to be a cooler weather activity as of now, less aggressive biting flying things and the flora is also less aggressive. There seems to be a few of us around.

Been hunting off and on around and old farm and alleged town site near Metcalfe GA, working on a couple of other places. Don't mind sharing but also looking for places maybe a bit closer to home.

Austin

I'm having some fun with it. I think I found the appx location of the town site I've been searching for today. Haven't yet found what could be the railroad roadbed but lots of what were likely animal pens, lots of buried barbed wire and a few rocks. Rocks are not really native inhabitants of the forest around here. Nothing good found as of yet other than signs of civilization ohh and a few pecan trees on the property that I'm going to have to keep an eye on, they've just been going to rot, didn't fruit last year or this year so maybe next year. In the mean time going to try to keep at it and hopefully something will turn up.

Austin

I'm in Havana, just north of Tally. Check your pm, I need to get back to it while the weather is cool.

hey skysurfer. i'm loving no mosquitos! i hate those little buggers! I'm in Tally as well. i invited you to join the Florida Artifact Hunter's group. there are several members from Tally in there.

hey skysurfer. i'm loving no mosquitos! i hate those little buggers! I'm in Tally as well. i invited you to join the Florida Artifact Hunter's group. there are several members from Tally in there.

Thanks,
Joined up. Too bad the thorny vines havn't subsided. when your trailblazing they can also get to be quite a pest.

diggemallbill

New to the forum. I am in Tallahassee Florida and looking for someone to detect with. Anyone interested?

New to the forum. I am in Tallahassee Florida and looking for someone to detect with. Anyone interested?

I'm usually up for it altho I keep a weird schedule... Have a place in Tallahassee sure to be lots of junk and a place just across the FL GA border with a bit of history and lots of junk. Promise you'll find something just might not be of any particular value :). Actually slated for some utilitarian searching in the near future to find the caches lawnmower and tire eating junk while the flora is in check. Found a cache of nails the hard way last week.

Got permission for an old home site in South GA and made a visit to the Thomas county museum today. It's on plantation referenced as the Hayes estate. There is an NGS azimuth mark there named after Ms. Odem who lived there during the 1935 survey. Have to call ahead tho for this one so they can let security know and to make sure they're not hunting or running the dogs. When recovering the data sheet from NGS for the benchmark I also just found the path of the railroad I've been looking for on their maps :D. Now if we can just get to some dryer weather...

I found my railroad the Florida Central. What I thought was a washout or old ravine was actually a cut out to make level grade. The spike in the middle of the woods cinched it. Also ran into some bricks and alot of iron close to where the FL GA border would have been. Not sure what would have been happening there perhaps a check point related to the Florida Georgia tick war and fencing which is what killed off the nearby town of Metcalfe.
picture.php

Back
Top Bottom