How do I clean my coins?

BigJohnny

New to MD and just wondering whats the best way to clean my coins? Coins I'm finding looks like almost a red clay color on them? Someone told me to use lemon juice. Is that a bad idea?

This topic has been covered very extensively if you check out some past threads here. If it's just clad all you need to do is clean the dirt off them so they can be fed into a machine. Banks shouldn't give you any trouble if they are clean to that point and easily identifiable and coinstars certainly won't give you any trouble.

I won't say anything on "KEY DATES" cause you need to be very CAREFUL on how you clean those! (Just soap & water, is all I use.)
As for CLAD, I got a harbor freight tumbler. Works great!
If you try, any ACIDED methods (lemon juice ect.) Check it often, do not let it set to long. Also when done, wash with a baking soda solution. It will stop the reaction of the acid... GL

The only way I know

I looked into cleaning a coin many years ago before metal detecting and I learned to use vinegar on a coin and spread a little salt on it and clean with a cloth. Probably not the best way but just a quickie. Happy Hunting !

I clean common clad 50-100 coins at a time, using a cheap tumbler. I even throw the common wheats in there. Seperate the copper from the dimes, quarters and nickels. I use aquarium gravel, drop of dish soap, and enough water to just cover the mix. Tumble for one half to a full hour.

Welcome!!!!!!!

Bottom line it is up to you.

Me for clad? I just soak the coins overnight in a used gallon jug. I start with some dish soap and HOT water. I mix the coins by shaking them for a couple minutes. Then I leave them alone til the next day. I shake them a little the next day then rinse them off. My goal was to get all of the dirt off. The coins are still stained....black or grey or orange/brown.

My bank has a customer coin machine. No bank employee sees the darker coins.

Or I dump them in the coinstar at the grocery store.....stained but NO DIRT to jam up the machine.

And finally, when I need some change for work (12-hour shifts) I take the stained coins to the vending machine for a snack or soda. These machines at my work will also change your stained coins to shiny again. I drop a black quarter in the machine. I then hit the change-return button and returned to me is a new looking shiny quarter.

Or you can buy a tumbler.

Back
Top Bottom