• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Old logging road yields many Shot gun shells....

NHAdventures

Walk an old logging road and (swinging the MDer) came across a quite a few old shotgun shell headstamps. In a 50ft length of road, I came up with 4 different ones. It makes me wonder if anyone collects these and, if there is any value in them. Heres a pic of the 4 I came across. Does anyone know anything about these? Are these old? Just curious.
They break down as follows:

Western No. 16 Super-X
Remington Ga. 12 Express
Peters No. 12 ?
Rem - UMC No. 12 Surshot

Attachments

• SG Headstamps.jpg
    SG Headstamps.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 418
Old paper wrapped shells. Not worth anything (that I'm aware of) but nice old finds.

It helps date the site to somewhere between the late 1800s to mid 1900s.

I am heading out the door, but I will get you some info on these shotshell heads...and yes I collect them. I have around 5,000 in my collection so far.

Doug

I am going to give you an answer much longer than you really probably want. :cool:

I cannot answer about your Peters headstamp without knowing what it is. Your other three are fairly common and not real old (1930's-1960's). I can get approx. dates on each one when I get to my computer that has my notes on it.

You asked about their value. They do not have any true monetary value. In fact, most will not even have "dirty brass" value as they are "steel lined". The true value is what they can tell a person about to shooter who lost or dropped the shells, the way the land was used, when there was human activity and even the mindset of the community where the shotshell head was found.

The brand and line of shells can tell the finder if the person who shot it was a casual or avid shooter, if they had money or were poor, at times, if the shooter was shooting for sport or hunting and more. The brand and line of shells can, at times, tell the finder about the "quality" of businesses in the community.

I could make this post a book if I am not careful. You have some great finds!

Doug

Doug,

Thanks for the history. I didn't think they were worth anything but, I figured I'd ask. The Peters is a 12 Ga. shell. (picture below).

Attachments

• Peters.jpg
    Peters.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 367
Okay, here is the obvious - it is a Petes H.V. (High Velocity). That particular style of headstamp will date from 1927 to the early 1960's. Can you tell me what the cannelure around the side is like? I might be able to date it tighter with that information.

Doug

Thanks for the info. As you requested, heres a side shot of the headstamp.

Attachments

• Peters Headstamp side view.jpg
    Peters Headstamp side view.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 304
Back
Top Bottom