Few beginner questions...

unojc

So I am brand new to MDing and will be getting my detector here soon in the mail. I have a few random questions.

1. My local park district allows permits to MD all the local parks, just not "uncut vegetation". Does this exclude creeks and or walking trails in the woods? Also, when you all hunt parks do you hunt the actual playing fields as well?

2. Speaking of parks, do you randomly hunt parks that are around without looking up rules on it. A lot dont specifically address MDing.

3. How often when at a school, lot, park, abandoned house with no evident owner etc. do cops show up? Has anyone in a non state park area been in serious trouble from detecting, like getting your stuff taken, or do they just tell you to leave? Speaking of abandoned houses with no apparent owner or anyone around, do you risk it?

4. There are a lot of farms around me, do random farm fields yield much? Also random woods with no evidence of houses having been on them?

5. As I am just getting into MDing my time is limited with family and work. I work nights at a hospital and watch my son during my days off as the wife works days. I also work every other weekend and the wife cherishes those weekends Im home. So, anyone, with permission, hunt at nights? How is that in regards to someone allowing you to hunt at night?

Thanks in advance. I ask because Im new, curious, and want to do what is right....oh and have fun doing it!

Welcome, and very good questions! I'll take a stab at them...

1. Creeks and walking trails, you should be fine since these are highly traveled ungrown grass areas. I would think the "uncut vegetation" would mostly entail highly groomed grass and in "permitted" MDing areas I would stay away from these areas for awhile until you learn to dig and replace a plug nicely, ie: can't tell anyone dug there. We do hunt the playing field, anywhere someone stomps or plays sports on can cause more "damage" than we do when we md properly.

2. If your area already has certain metal detecting restrictions, then chances are others around have them or have thought about it. Look up the city parks ordinances online to see if they have any specifics pertaining to metal detecting. If in doubt, research, don't ask or you are almost guarenteed a "NO!". If it's not listed in the ordinances, it doesn't exist and you don't want to draw attention to a "problem that doesn't exist"...

3. Police can show up often if you are drawing attention to yourself or in the wrong place, like private property without permission. I have only been told to leave when I was in a park past curfew times or by school security when it was way past "open use" after school times that normal kids would hang out or play around the school. I never risk private property without permission. There are many ways on the internet/through city records to find who owns what property.

4. You want highly trafficed areas or areas that have been known for high traffic in the past. If no one was there to drop anything, nothing will be there.

5. I do 90% of my hunting at night after work and kids and wife are in bed. Not a problem here, park curfews are either midnight weekdays and 1am on weekends. I've stayed out hunting in wide open off the beaten traffic path parks, till 4am before even though I know that's "past curfew". I've also been told to pack it up, and have respectfully. I also report troublemakers to law enforcement even that late at night, being that they are actually causing trouble: kicking over trash cans, drinking causing a ruckus, etc. Public property is mine to protect also.

Good luck and HH!

Last edited:
Not sure exactly where you are from but "typically" any woods and or property with an abandoned house on it is private property and is a no no without the owner permission. That can vary by location but I know here in Indiana all the ground is owned by someone, so you must ask first.

I've hunted plenty of fields before but would not just go hunt a random field. Try to find some old maps of your area, 1900 or earlier is really good. Then find locations that used to have houses on them and are now fields. I've never had a farmer tell me no as long as I go out of season. Once they plant I stay away until the fall harvest. Lots of the farmers will know if there was ever a house on the property.

Same way with a woods, unless I had reason to believe that there was either a house there or some type of gathering place I wouldn't spend the time to just go into a woods and start hunting. Seems like low odds of hitting anything good.

I wonder if "uncut vegetation" is an area where they are letting "go natural". Here in Nebraska, we have areas with native prairie grasses around that you're not even supposed to walk on They don't mow them, that's why I wonder if that's what they meant.

I wonder if "uncut vegetation" is an area where they are letting "go natural". Here in Nebraska, we have areas with native prairie grasses around that you're not even supposed to walk on They don't mow them, that's why I wonder if that's what they meant.

Could very well be. We have places here in Texas that are like that with Indian Paintbrush flowers and Bluebonnets.

I dont like hunting parks so i cant help you there BUT as a also busy parent i hunt nights sometimes in fields. Just get a good head light. Finding the right field comes down to a fun part of this hobby and that is exploring old plat maps and finding old homesteads because these sites can yield very old coins!

Theres something above and beyond hunting a field when there is a full moon! Nothing like escaping your day to day shenanigans on a peaceful night hunt

GL

Welcome .,I think thease guys gave some advice yhat will work for ya .
# 1 piece of advice , nothing tops getting out and doing it !
HH

Back
Top Bottom