Sunglasses

BentRod

Elite Member
I've found a few pairs of intact sunglasses since I've started water hunting. These are in fresh water lakes and have some grime and some sort of scum stuck to them. I've tried simple washing and scrubbing, but the stuff is really tenacious and doesn't easily rub off. The sunglasses appear to be in ok shape otherwise. Any ideas on how I might clean some of this stuff off without damaging the plastic lenses/frames? I thought maybe a solution of TSP or some other sort of cleanser might work, but haven't tried out anything besides Windex, which didn't work.
Thanks.

have you tried WD40? it's pretty good for pretty much everything else, so it might help dissolve/loosen that grime. if it works, then clean your lenses with alcohol to get the oil off. :yes:

have you tried WD40? it's pretty good for pretty much everything else, so it might help dissolve/loosen that grime. if it works, then clean your lenses with alcohol to get the oil off. :yes:

Hadn't thought of that. I'll give it a try.
Thanks.

Bad thing is I did an aggressive cleaning on a couple pair. Found out the UV protection is a coating I rubbed off. Man they looked weird when I got done:no:

if you've got a pair or 2 that aren't worth saving, you could always try different stuff on the different lenses and see which works the best. and if you do happen to ruin them, then there's no harm done and you'll know what not to use on the good ones. ;)

if you've got a pair or 2 that aren't worth saving, you could always try different stuff on the different lenses and see which works the best. and if you do happen to ruin them, then there's no harm done and you'll know what not to use on the good ones. ;)

This is a good idea. I think threw out the broken pairs though. I'll see what I've got in the pile.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Thanks for all the replies. So far I've not had any luck. Whatever is stuck on these things seems to be fused to the plastic or whatever coating is on the plastic. Very odd.

I'd go to a glasses shop and ask what cleaning wil cost...

Thanks, but none of these sunglasses are worth a plug nickel, so I wouldn't bother paying to have them cleaned. Just thought I might be able to make them usable as I tend to go through sunglasses myself rather fast. They have a tendency to break when I'm using them.....which I'm sure has nothing to do with my activity level, hobbies, or forgetful nature. The last set got crushed when pulling shrimp pots in Puget Sound. Probably should have stored them in a safer place. :cool:

Maybe if your soak them for a few days...

I have found the stuff cleans off easy when you find them..

Is the stuff your talking about like a green/brown color, sort of like a light texturing you might find on dry wall? If so a soaking for a few days should help, once its fully dry it is bullet proof..

Good luck!!

<*)))>{

Maybe if your soak them for a few days...

I have found the stuff cleans off easy when you find them..

Is the stuff your talking about like a green/brown color, sort of like a light texturing you might find on dry wall? If so a soaking for a few days should help, once its fully dry it is bullet proof..

Good luck!!

<*)))>{

Oh yes, that brings soy sauce back to mind. Had a "red" buffalo nickel soaking for a few hours. All the dirt was gone and some mild polishing made shine it very well.

Back
Top Bottom