Now that I'm collecting clad how do I clean?

tinsmith

Elite Member
Hi all, Well now that I've learned a bit with my first Mid level machine I have a small pile of clad. I don't plan on collecting it. How can I clean it up to spend on the cheap. I don't want a tumbler yet. I have a dremel but no brush bit or such. Most of the clad has that reddish brown rust color. Is there any quick cheapo household type methods to clean?

cleaning clad...

A good one....I was gonna ask the same thang.....u beat me to it.....:?:

I throw all of my clad in a plastic foldgers container. When I have enough I pour some water it it and shake the heck out of it. I then pour it through one of cheap reusable coffee filters (the one with the plastic frame). I do that two or three times and then take it to the bank and run it through the coin counter.

I see NO POINT in running it through a tumbler for hours on end wasting time and electricity. Its clad why does it have to be shiny new again??

White vinegar and salt. Make sure you're not mixing pennies in with the other coins. It will turn them pink. Don't ask me how I know.:laughing:

Thanks....and thanks to tinsmith for bringing this up..............

No problemo, just getting better with my 705 and have coinage to spend. Not much of a coin collector. I'm a coin spender for sure. HH....

I put them in a plastic container with a lid , with salt and vinegar. Let them sit for a few hours to half a day or so while shaking them up now and then. That cleans most of it but the real stubborn ones I clean up afterward by rubbing them individually with handcleaner that has the gritty stuff on it and a cloth. Sometimes it takes work but once you get the hang of it , its not so bad. Technically you only have to get them clean enough that others can tell easily what they are but I like to go a step farther. That way there are less questions about them when spending.

Hi all, Well now that I've learned a bit with my first Mid level machine I have a small pile of clad. I don't plan on collecting it. How can I clean it up to spend on the cheap. I don't want a tumbler yet. I have a dremel but no brush bit or such. Most of the clad has that reddish brown rust color. Is there any quick cheapo household type methods to clean?

Knock off all of the loose dirt on your clad. Sometimes I will find a vending machine to exchange my dirty clad with some clean clad. I usually just run it through the bank's coin counter. But I have 2 cool vending machines at work. I put 3 or 4 orange/brown quarters in and then hit the return button. Out comes 3 or 4 SHINY quarters. I do the same for dimes and nickels. I have got lucky in the past with scoring a war nickel this way!

Knock off all of the loose dirt on your clad. Sometimes I will find a vending machine to exchange my dirty clad with some clean clad. I usually just run it through the bank's coin counter. But I have 2 cool vending machines at work. I put 3 or 4 orange/brown quarters in and then hit the return button. Out comes 3 or 4 SHINY quarters. I do the same for dimes and nickels. I have got lucky in the past with scoring a war nickel this way!

And the blond behind you asks; Wow wonder how that vending machine cleans your clad so well?:lol:

Cleaning clads

Try this out....it will restore clad to pre-lost condition....put 10-12 white pebbles in a 32 oz Gatorade bottle....add about 3-4 inches of distilled 5% white vinegar and 2 tsp of salt.....rinse coins and then put about 12-16 qtrs in......shake and soak solution at 1 minute intervals until coins turn dull grey,,,,remove coins and rinse......then take each coin and secure them with pliers and brush lightly with a barbeque brush.....this works!!!!!!......middle photo is before.....top photo is after rinse....bottom photo is after brushing.

Attachments

• DSC02957.jpg
    DSC02957.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 293
  • DSC02962.jpg
    DSC02962.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 382
  • DSC02961.jpg
    DSC02961.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 357
Back
Top Bottom