Doing away with dollar coins

dan

Elite Member
For the past few years, several members of congress have been trying to get the US to phase out dollar bills and use dollar coins instead. Using coins instead of paper dollars will save us tons of money, they say.

But in a sudden about-face, the White House has just announced that the dollar coins will be virtually eliminated, except for those made for collectors.

This will save us tons of money, they say.

Looks like either way we'll save tons of money!

Huh?

Here's the story:
http://thetreasurecorner.com

I like the new dollar gold coin. Bah.
I figured if they tried to other times of a dollar coin. Why should this one have lasted. I see a pattern here.

Personally I would not mind them replacing the bill with the dollar coin, or even in addition maybe a two dollar one like they have in Canada. May help to increase our clad finds!!!! :D:D:D

I like the Eisenhower Dollar...It's big and you can tell by touch what it is...these other dollar coins you have to look at them to tell what they are.

I think that any move to eliminate the dollar coin has a banking stink to it. I could be wrong but the coins are minted by the U.S. Government and the banks have to buy the coins.
Dollar bills are controlled by the Federal Reserve (not a government institution per say).
If someone knows more about this I would love to learn more.

I think there was a discussion/post here a while back about this. They "coin" dead Presidents and the coins don't even get placed into circulation.

Saw a mention of this again the other night on the news and they said there's enough of these coins setting in vaults to "last for decades".

Each dollar bill costs 10 cents to print.

Each dollar coin costs about 10 cents to mint.

Congress used to argue that a dollar bill was cheaper to print, but since cotton has gone up in price, both are nearly the same price (10 cents).

A dollar bill only lasts about 2 years. Pull out the ones that you have, I bet over 75% of them are series 2009.

A dollar coin on the other hand, lasts THIRTY YEARS, or more.

So in a dollar coin's lifetime, 15 dollar bills will be printed.

So what makes more sense, making something for 10 cents that lasts 30 years, or printing something for 10 cents that lasts 2?

How do you confuse a dollar coin with a quarter? If your looking at your change, dollar coins are easily spotted by their gold color.

If your digging in your pocket the dollar coin has a smooth edge, and the quarter has a rough, reeded edge.

There are also people who argue that the coins will weigh them down. "I don't want to carry twenty of them in my pocket."

Who carries twenty 1 dollar bills? Exactly...

Canada has not used dollar bills since 1989. We need to stop being such a stick in the mud.

Where do you get your figures from? I believe it cost considerably more to mint a coin as opposed to printing paper money.

From the US Mint and the Bureau of Printing and engraving.

In 2008 it was only 6.4 cents, but the price of cotton has shot up.

It says (third paragraph):

The government produced 6.4 billion new currency notes last year. Each one cost 9.6 cents to produce, including the cost of paper and printing.

Key word there was "mint", not "print".

But in this link you provided is says a dollar bill costs less than 6 cents to print. Your links kind of contradict each other.

Actually, my 1st request for a link was an "official" gov site that CM stated he got his info from.

But in this link you provided is says a dollar bill costs less than 6 cents to print. Your links kind of contradict each other.

No. The second source also says, " Beginning in 2007, dollar coins will be released with the images of past U.S. presidents."

Meaning it was written before 2007, when dollar bills cost less to print because cotton was cheaper.

OK, I guess I'm confused because I thought we were talking about current times (not 4 years ago). I'm sure cost of everything has went up in the past 4 years.

I'm asking for a link to the Treasury site that CM stated was where he got his info on current costs of minting and printing one dollar coins vs bills.

Back
Top Bottom